The Student Room Group

The straight and narrow path to 12A*'s

Scroll to see replies

I'm looking to achieve similar grades and have created a timetable for the Easter break. Any tips for revision? How do you all revise.. Eg. Mind maps, flash cards ect.
Original post by Sage25
Most of the time I find it incredibly boring however there are some moments during class which get me thinking haha

I've just done a language mock and I feel it was incredibly easy. Prose just takes some getting used to I guess haha

What are your A-level choices? :smile:

I can't stand it :biggrin: And yeah, I liked the mock because the topic was quite nice to write about although I feel like this year it could be on somthing I have no idea about :biggrin:
It's literature that bores me to the limits - especially P&P and Macbeth, and when I don't like a subject I tend to do badly in it :lol:

Next year I'm (hopefully) taking Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Biology - and my sixth form is also making the EPQ compulsory :smile: You?
Reply 42
Original post by Francesca99x
I'm looking to achieve similar grades and have created a timetable for the Easter break. Any tips for revision? How do you all revise.. Eg. Mind maps, flash cards ect.

Past papers, past papers, past papers

And notes on the subject spec, possibly highlighting key information :smile:
Reply 43
Original post by surina16
I can't stand it :biggrin: And yeah, I liked the mock because the topic was quite nice to write about although I feel like this year it could be on somthing I have no idea about :biggrin:
It's literature that bores me to the limits - especially P&P and Macbeth, and when I don't like a subject I tend to do badly in it :lol:

Next year I'm (hopefully) taking Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Biology - and my sixth form is also making the EPQ compulsory :smile: You?

My mock contained an extract from the autobiography of Alan Carr which was refreshing haha

I can understand when you don't do well because you don't like it. I used to do that quite a bit in year 8/9 :/

Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Economics

Also have some work experience lined up for the summer with HSBC and Standard Chartered so it should be fun

What are you planning to study at Uni/Future career prospects?
Original post by Sage25
My mock contained an extract from the autobiography of Alan Carr which was refreshing haha

I can understand when you don't do well because you don't like it. I used to do that quite a bit in year 8/9 :/

Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Economics

Also have some work experience lined up for the summer with HSBC and Standard Chartered so it should be fun

What are you planning to study at Uni/Future career prospects?

Sounds so much more interesting than mine :tongue:
Oh cool, are you looking to go into finance then?

For me, the ultimate goal is medicine because it just seems like the most interesting and rewarding thing to me :smile: I've got 1 week of work experience at A&E lined up which I'm so excited to do! :biggrin: And I've also applied for a medical engineering placement too :lol:
The only thing is that it is so competitive. :/
Reply 45
Sounds so much more interesting than mine :tongue:
Oh cool, are you looking to go into finance then?

For me, the ultimate goal is medicine because it just seems like the most interesting and rewarding thing to me :smile: I've got 1 week of work experience at A&E lined up which I'm so excited to do! :biggrin: And I've also applied for a medical engineering placement too :lol:
The only thing is that it is so competitive. :/

Yeah, looking at Investment Banking :smile:

Yeah, I can imagine Medicine is rewarding both financially and morally. You would have quite high respect among your peers also haha

Medicine is competitive everywhere so it would be a great achievement to be given a place at any university

Are you looking at any particular Uni for Medicine? :smile:
Original post by Sage25
Yeah, looking at Investment Banking :smile:

Yeah, I can imagine Medicine is rewarding both financially and morally. You would have quite high respect among your peers also haha

Medicine is competitive everywhere so it would be a great achievement to be given a place at any university

Are you looking at any particular Uni for Medicine? :smile:

Oh, Investment Banking sounds really interesting and such a good course to do at uni!
Like you said, an offer from any uni for med would be amazing :smile:
However, I really have my heart set on the likes of UCL and Imperial - I would also like to remain fairly close to home by going to London :biggrin:
What about you? Are you aiming for Oxbridge (you seem to have the potential) :smile:?
Original post by Sage25
So, recently I have had my report back. On the whole it was pretty good and almost on par with my original predictions.

My Report Grades/Original Predictions:

Biology - A/A*
Business Studies - A*/A*
Chemistry - A*/A*
Computer Science - A/A
English Language - A*/A*
English Literature - A*/A*
Further Maths - A*/A*
Geography - A*/A*
German - A/A
Maths - A*/A*
Physics - A*/A*
Religious Studies - A/B

For my report I achieved 8A* and 4A
My original predictions were 9A*, 2A and a B

However, as I aspire to study Economics at the likes of Cambridge and Princeton, I am aiming for the very best grades at GCSE as well as A-level.

This means I want to change the 4 A's in my report to A*'s

I am documenting my revision each day for the easter break and most likely all the way through to my exams for my own reference and if possible to motivate others to revise. There are 7 weeks and 1 day until my first exam (Religious Studies - Unit 1), so I feel now is the right time to start revising older topics and familiarising myself with the specification of each subject again.

My revision contains two key components

1) Subject Specification
2) Past Papers

My revision guidelines

The Subject Notebook - I will be writing out the full specification of each subject in a notebook (All of the content which exam boards require us to know for the exam). Each notebook will be colour-coded to highlight: General Info, Important Info, Titles and Diagrams. This will be useful for revision closer to the exam period as everything will be there for reference

Past Papers - I have already printed all of the available past papers for each of my subjects. There are roughly 4-6 papers for each subject. I aim to complete all of them and if not all, then as many as possible. Getting to know the type of questions the exam board will ask as well as how to answer these questions will be vital as, after all, there are only so many questions which can be asked about the specification.

There are only two components of my revision however I feel they can provide me with good preparation for the exam as well as the knowledge and technique to achieve an A* in all of my subjects.

So, from here on in I will be documenting the revision I do each day to remind myself of the goal I am working towards and at the same time try to motivate others to revise and prepare for what is the culmination of two years of hard work.

Good luck with revision to all

First of all wow!!! I would be so happy if I achieved your predicted results!! We seem to be doing quite similar subjects, except I do History and Dance instead of Computer Science, Geography and RS! You seem to be doing the right thing, and your specification thing for each subject works wonders! I was just wondering how you are going about revising Business Studies (what exam board are you also) and do you have any tips for English lit comparing poetry? (As I never know what to compare). Good luck with your results I'm sure you'll smash them!
wow you seem very motivated and intelligent - i am in year 10, but will definitely be watching your blog :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'd be happy with 5 A*s... and there are people aiming for 12-13 A*s. But then I do the International GCSE, so frankly theres quite a lot of difference in the papers.
Reply 50
Oh, Investment Banking sounds really interesting and such a good course to do at uni!
Like you said, an offer from any uni for med would be amazing :smile:
However, I really have my heart set on the likes of UCL and Imperial - I would also like to remain fairly close to home by going to London :biggrin:
What about you? Are you aiming for Oxbridge (you seem to have the potential) :smile:?

Yeah, I'm hoping for Cambridge Economics and then going into Investment Banking straight after haha

Medicine at Imperial would be incredible, on par with the likes of Oxbridge I believe.

Yeah Cambridge or LSE are my top for the UK with Princeton as another option for studying abroad :smile:
Reply 51
Original post by Catherinexxxx
First of all wow!!! I would be so happy if I achieved your predicted results!! We seem to be doing quite similar subjects, except I do History and Dance instead of Computer Science, Geography and RS! You seem to be doing the right thing, and your specification thing for each subject works wonders! I was just wondering how you are going about revising Business Studies (what exam board are you also) and do you have any tips for English lit comparing poetry? (As I never know what to compare). Good luck with your results I'm sure you'll smash them!

Thank you haha

I'm sure you'll do great with your exams :smile:

Yeah, the specification does work well for the most part, especially when coming back to it for reference during the exam period!

My Business Studies exam board is OCR

For Business, I will be taking notes from the specification and my textbook as well as completing as many past papers as possible. I have already completed quite a few so I'll look over them again and review the mark schemes :smile:

For Poetry, I would say comparing tone, language and structure are the main points.

This has been a really useful video for me during English exams/mocks. This one is on A* responses to comparing poetry (Edexcel)

Be sure to check it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkiKO7l2Pe4
Reply 52
Original post by hannahrobinsxn
wow you seem very motivated and intelligent - i am in year 10, but will definitely be watching your blog :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you! haha

I am glad to hear that. I shall be posting regularly about the current state of my revision and if I can give revision/exam tips :smile:
Reply 53
Original post by adityac3688
I'd be happy with 5 A*s... and there are people aiming for 12-13 A*s. But then I do the International GCSE, so frankly theres quite a lot of difference in the papers.

Yeah, I've heard about the IGCSE

Do you attend a private school by any chance? :smile:
Original post by Sage25
So, recently I have had my report back. On the whole it was pretty good and almost on par with my original predictions.

My Report Grades/Original Predictions:

Biology - A/A*
Business Studies - A*/A*
Chemistry - A*/A*
Computer Science - A/A
English Language - A*/A*
English Literature - A*/A*
Further Maths - A*/A*
Geography - A*/A*
German - A/A
Maths - A*/A*
Physics - A*/A*
Religious Studies - A/B

For my report I achieved 8A* and 4A
My original predictions were 9A*, 2A and a B

However, as I aspire to study Economics at the likes of Cambridge and Princeton, I am aiming for the very best grades at GCSE as well as A-level.

This means I want to change the 4 A's in my report to A*'s

I am documenting my revision each day for the easter break and most likely all the way through to my exams for my own reference and if possible to motivate others to revise. There are 7 weeks and 1 day until my first exam (Religious Studies - Unit 1), so I feel now is the right time to start revising older topics and familiarising myself with the specification of each subject again.

1) Subject Specification
2) Past Papers

My revision guidelines

The Subject Notebook - I will be writing out the full specification of each subject in a notebook (All of the content which exam boards require us to know for the exam). Each notebook will be colour-coded to highlight: General Info, Important Info, Titles and Diagrams. This will be useful for revision closer to the exam period as everything will be there for reference

Past Papers - I have already printed all of the available past papers for each of my subjects. There are roughly 4-6 papers for each subject. I aim to complete all of them and if not all, then as many as possible. Getting to know the type of questions the exam board will ask as well as how to answer these questions will be vital as, after all, there are only so many questions which can be asked about the specification.

There are only two components of my revision however I feel they can provide me with good preparation for the exam as well as the knowledge and technique to achieve an A* in all of my subjects.

So, from here on in I will be documenting the revision I do each day to remind myself of the goal I am working towards and at the same time try to motivate others to revise and prepare for what is the culmination of two years of hard work.

Great results! I've been predicted 8A*s and 2As, though I have not yet started revising for my subjects (first exam is on the 2nd of may...).

I recently had a breakdown and didn't do a single thing for the past week of break, which means I have 7 days less for proper revision before my exams.
My plan is to go on and study medicine at Imperial or Oxford, which is why I really need something to motivate me right now. This did help to an extent, I will soon go and try to study for the first time since my break began.

Original post by adityac3688
Someone doing IGCSE, yay! Are you doing Edexel or CIE? I'm CIE. Which exams are you most stressed about? I am terrified of Additional Maths since it's a two-year course yet I am doing it in only 8 months...
(edited 8 years ago)
Hey man, hows the notebook going? I hope you don't mind but I tried it too for B1 xP. The colour coding really helps btw!

So after the notebooks, you going straight for the past papers or doing some extra flashcards and that? :smile:
Original post by Mac117
Great results! I've been predicted 8A*s and 2As, though I have not yet started revising for my subjects (first exam is on the 2nd of may...).

I recently had a breakdown and didn't do a single thing for the past week of break, which means I have 7 days less for proper revision before my exams.
My plan is to go on and study medicine at Imperial or Oxford, which is why I really need something to motivate me right now. This did help to an extent, I will soon go and try to study for the first time since my break began.

Someone doing IGCSE, yay! Are you doing Edexel or CIE? I'm CIE. Which exams are you most stressed about? I am terrified of Additional Maths since it's a two-year course yet I am doing it in only 8 months...

I'm probably not in the best position to give you any motivation...but this should do the trick :P https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXsQAXx_ao0
Good luck!
Reply 57
Original post by Sage25

1) Subject Specification
2) Past Papers

My revision guidelines

Is this how you revised for the exams which you got the results for in your report?
Reply 58
Original post by Mac117

I'm sorry to hear about the breakdown but I'm glad I can help in your motivation to revise for exams

I'm sure with predictions of that calibre, you'll be totally fine and considering it is IGCSE, it is even better :smile:

Medicine at Oxbridge/Imperial will be very rewarding for you I'm sure

Good luck with revision and your exams :smile:
Reply 59
Original post by Username3097486
Hey man, hows the notebook going? I hope you don't mind but I tried it too for B1 xP. The colour coding really helps btw!

So after the notebooks, you going straight for the past papers or doing some extra flashcards and that? :smile:

Coming along great thanks, almost finished Biology which is a relief :smile:

After finishing the notebooks, I'll be moving straight on to past papers. I'll just re-read them until I've familiarised myself with the spec and then start the past papers, hopefully by next Monday!

Where are you now with revision then? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest