The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by davidguettafan

I have a macbook. I'm not rich. I won it in a competition . Discussion terminated.
Stupid people who realise later on that no programmes are compatible with Apple.
If you save up enough money to buy one, then you have enough money to buy one.
You dont have to be rich (it does help obviously) but anyone could buy one if they have enough money saved up.
Original post by Mathstatician
That's why all the google software engineers use MacBooks as their preferred laptops even though most are die hard Open Source fans :yep:

They're the biggest hipsters in the industry, that's why. The VAST majority of IT professionals rejects Apple products. You know nothing.
Original post by TimmonaPortella
God you are so achingly edgy and hip.

Ouch. Biggest insult.
Original post by TitanicTeutonicPhil
They're the biggest hipsters in the industry, that's why. The VAST majority of IT professionals rejects Apple products. You know nothing.

The masses aren't always right.

In terms of the statement "MacBooks" are for rich people. IN GENERAL, I agree but thats a generalisation.

I say this because from my experience, when I look at Freshers at University, it tends to be the posh people or people from "upper middle class" families that bring MacBooks into Lectures. Over time the poorer people do tend to invest in Macbooks though so it balances out.
Reply 46
Original post by Mayhem™
Jim doesn't have a job, he claims job-seekers allowance which allows him to put some money aside every month. After a couple of months Jim buys a MacBook.

Is Jim rich?

Jim is probably middle class and stands to inherit a share of a £1 million house at age 45.

I don't much like him tbh:frown:
Reply 47
Original post by Venetian Snares
You clearly have no idea what this discussion is about.

OP, apple products have become quite ubiquitous in society now, so owning an Apple product is not really just the reserve of the well-off any more. Though I would say the one thing all macbooks owners still do have in common is pretentiousness.

I own a MacBook and as far as I know I'm not pretentious.

At least I think I own a MacBook .

Ever since I bought my three iPad pros I've never bothered with anything else
Original post by TitanicTeutonicPhil

Work in the tech industry. 80% of people in my office use a Mac.

You know nothing.
Reply 49
Original post by Mayhem™
Jim doesn't have a job, he claims job-seekers allowance which allows him to put some money aside every month. After a couple of months Jim buys a MacBook.

Is Jim rich?

Jim smokes dope to ease the boredom of being on aforesaid JSA he doesn't save anything and doesn't have a macbook. Jim's a bit rich isn't he?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 50
Original post by HotFlash
Stupid people who realise later on that no programmes are compatible with Apple.

Yep I had one and studied architecture yet Autocad the industry standard isn't on Mac. Wtf? :tongue:
Original post by Thomb
Yep I had one and studied architecture yet Autocad the industry standard isn't on Mac. Wtf? :tongue:

Yeah I study accounting and all my mates couldn't use SAGE (accounting software) on their macs :biggrin:
Reply 52
Yeah I study accounting and all my mates couldn't use SAGE (accounting software) on their macs :biggrin:

I know I run a small business and had to use Excel.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Mayhem™

Is Jim rich?

Lool get out, on JSA that would take him probably 5 years
Not really. You can buy a low end second hand Macbook for a few hundred pounds. You'd be better off getting a PC, but it's doable.
>paying out the ass for a subpar piece of tech

No thanks. True patricians buy Windows/Android every time. Could buy a Macbook if I wanted, but anyone who isn't a luddite knows they are mediocre at best.

Original post by Thomb

Can't you dual boot Windows on it?
Reply 57
Original post by morgan8002
Can't you dual boot Windows on it?

Yes you can.
Original post by Thomb
Yes you can.

No problem with compatibility then.
Reply 59
Original post by morgan8002
No problem with compatibility then.

S'pose so.