The Student Room Group

Physics AS Level OCR H 156 papers and grade boundaries

H156 Breadth and depth seems to be the new exam specfor AS Level OCR physics but I can only find 1 specimen paper for each and no past papers
Are there any more?

What are the grade boundaries for these?

Thanks
OCR have only released one specimen paper for each of the exams. There are also unseen practice papers for both Breadth and Depth that your teacher should have access to - these will probably be used as mock exams.

I have uploaded a video walkthrough of the entire Breadth in Physics specimen paper here

There are no published grade boundaries for either the specimen or practice papers because grade boundaries are determined only after an exam has been sat by students. When I asked OCR, their advice was to use the typical grade boundaries for past years: I have estimated these to be 45% E, 55% D, 60% C, 65% B, 75% A.

These IB Physics papers could be useful practice for some of the new style questions.
Reply 2
thanks this is useful Note that the Physics Depth Video walkthrough seems timed to be released only a few days before the Physics exam in June 6th I think - if so cutting it fine but would be useful last minute revision!
Original post by Rick 1
thanks this is useful Note that the Physics Depth Video walkthrough seems timed to be released only a few days before the Physics exam in June 6th I think - if so cutting it fine but would be useful last minute revision!

I hope to do a walkthrough of the specimen depth paper in the next week or so. The live video walkthroughs will be of the unseen practice papers; the reason they're so late is so that they won't spoil anybody's mocks.
Reply 4
the grade boundaries are gonna be low watch, im guessing 65% A and 55% B...ECT..

because everything is new, n the papers will be harder than the the previous syllabus,
Reply 5
Original post by mrcowentweets
I hope to do a walkthrough of the specimen depth paper in the next week or so. The live video walkthroughs will be of the unseen practice papers; the reason they're so late is so that they won't spoil anybody's mocks.

the depth one would be really useful too can you let me know when available (I thought the breadth one seemed familiar!) I am guessing that breadth has both the old Mechanics and Waves/Electrons combined and depth does too , but depth questions seem a bit more wordy though not as wordy as previous exam papers
OCR have only released one specimen paper for each of the exams. There are also unseen practice papers for both Breadth and Depth that your teacher should have access to - these will probably be used as mock exams.

I have uploaded a video walkthrough of the entire Breadth in Physics specimen paper here

There are no published grade boundaries for either the specimen or practice papers because grade boundaries are determined only after an exam has been sat by students. When I asked OCR, their advice was to use the typical grade boundaries for past years: I have estimated these to be 45% E, 55% D, 60% C, 65% B, 75% A.

These IB Physics papers could be useful practice for some of the new style questions.

Hi will you be doing the depth in physics paper as videos as well?
Reply 7
From looking at the specimens, The breadth has 20 Multiple choice which I believe is the hardest. The rest is, if you know your physics you can apply knowledge quite easily. However the depth is another story.... There are like 3-4 6 markers JUST on experiments, therefore I recommend you memorise every experiment, you can pick up easy marks there. Good luck everyone, PM me if you wanna discuss more on Physics, Maths(Edexcel) Computer Science (AQA) or Economics B (Edexcel)
Reply 8
Original post by mahmzo
From looking at the specimens, The breadth has 20 Multiple choice which I believe is the hardest. The rest is, if you know your physics you can apply knowledge quite easily. However the depth is another story.... There are like 3-4 6 markers JUST on experiments, therefore I recommend you memorise every experiment, you can pick up easy marks there. Good luck everyone, PM me if you wanna discuss more on Physics, Maths(Edexcel) Computer Science (AQA) or Economics B (Edexcel)

Thanks for the "experiments" tips p.s I think I am right that the new Mr Cowan "depth" video is there now as well as "breadth"
Reply 9

Hi, I was wondering is the real paper going to be more like the Specimen or the practice papers (released by OCR). I found the specimen relatively good however the practice papers were very hard. Almost my whole class got below 50%.
I have been told the practice papers are a lot harder to test students knowledge and application, is this true?
Generally my year group also found the practice papers to be very difficult, again most people scored below 50% with the top few scoring in the 60's

Will there also be walk-throughs of the OCR B specimen papers?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest