The Student Room Group

Donald Trump says UK and Europe are not safe places following Brussels attacks

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ethereal World
No Trump is complicit in creating irrational and disproportionate fear which is more dangerous to us in the long term than what ISIS currently have the power to do.

All that border control stuff you just went on about is just demonstrating how self centred the west has become. You can't pick and choose and have your cake and eat it in this world. There will be lash back. And currently, ISIS is just the lash back against American led imperialism using Islam as their justification.

It's irrational to fear a terrorist attack in the West? I think we've had enough of them by now to say it's a pretty rational fear. I'd suggest the people who aren't even a little concerned by the threat are the ones who are irrational. I also don't really see what 'long term' dangers you're referring to. ISIS are killing people by the tens of thousands in the middle east, and displacing hundreds of thousands more. I'd say that's a much bigger threat to humanity than anything Donald Trump's campaign, or even his premiership, could ever manage.

Now I agree that the tone of a lot of his rhetoric about Islam in particularly is incendiary enough to be cause for concern, but that is more a reflection on the US population than anything else. Politicians say what they need to say to get into power, and the fact is that the US is a deeply christian, and deeply islamophobic country. So whilst that is an issue, suggesting it is confined merely to Trump is misleading. But at the same time, I don't think Trump is especially islamophobic, I think he just increases the strength of his rhetoric cause it wins him votes.

Of course we're self-centred. My wellbeing matters more to me than Joe Bloggs'. Your wellbeing, or the wellbeing of anyone else in Britain, matters more to me than the wellbeing of Mr Squibbs in Pakistan. In much the same way that Mr Squibbs doubtless cares more about the wellbeing of his people than he cares about mine.

What do you mean by the bit about having your cake and eating it. do you mean we shouldn't pick and choose who enters our country? Cause I'm of the opinion that that should be a fundamental right of any sovereign country.

ISIS most certainly isn't a backlash against the US. You could argue that al-qaeda is, but ISIS is ironically rather more concerned with killing Shiite Muslims than Westerners. ISIS violence against the West only started because we joined forces with the Kurds and other ground forces to try and help defeat ISIS. Not to mention that ISIS' roots are from some 20 odd years ago, that there rise coincided with the US withdrawal from Iraq and that the core of ISIS is the Iraqi military who served under Saddam Hussein.
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
Immigration and borders matter in a way because many Belgian jihadis have come back to Belgium/Europe without anyone batting on eyelid.

I never mentioned immigration in my last post. I agree with Trump when he says Europe isn't safe because of all these terror attacks.

And these refugees you mention? Are you talking about the traumatised ones that assaulted women and have made city centres a no go area? You're defo wrong when you say there are two types of migrants Em.

Agreed. I retract elements of my statement and take away the implication that all the immigrants are compliant and innocent people because that clearly isn't the case.

But it is the minority that are doing otherwise.

I still hold that if we handled immigration better we would negate the problems we are seeing. I don't advocate for a merkel or trump based approach, rather a compromise :yep:

Ever The (true) Diplomat.
Original post by Ethereal World
Agreed. I retract elements of my statement and take away the implication that all the immigrants are compliant and innocent people because that clearly isn't the case.

But it is the minority that are doing otherwise.

I still hold that if we handled immigration better we would negate the problems we are seeing. I don't advocate for a merkel or trump based approach, rather a compromise :yep:

Ever The (true) Diplomat.

That reminds me.. Why you no read me bedtime story? I had to read 50 shades of grey by myself :colonhash:
Shouldn't he be more concerned about America?

He's always talking about problems facing other countries/nations.

America will be a far more dangerous place than the whole of Europe put together if he becomes president.
(edited 8 years ago)
I agree with him completely.

Also, two the people countering this with saying 'but America also isnt safe!'

weak. Has nothing to do with this, also, in the same interview he admits America isn't safe either anyway, for other reasons.
Original post by Dodgypirate
Well it is a bigger country...

Actually, we have around 185 million more people here...
Original post by TheThiefOfBagdad
Actually, we have around 185 million more people here...

Oh well I don't know...
Original post by Luke Kostanjsek
It's irrational to fear a terrorist attack in the West? I think we've had enough of them by now to say it's a pretty rational fear. I'd suggest the people who aren't even a little concerned by the threat are the ones who are irrational. I also don't really see what 'long term' dangers you're referring to. ISIS are killing people by the tens of thousands in the middle east, and displacing hundreds of thousands more. I'd say that's a much bigger threat to humanity than anything Donald Trump's campaign, or even his premiership, could ever manage.

Now I agree that the tone of a lot of his rhetoric about Islam in particularly is incendiary enough to be cause for concern, but that is more a reflection on the US population than anything else. Politicians say what they need to say to get into power, and the fact is that the US is a deeply christian, and deeply islamophobic country. So whilst that is an issue, suggesting it is confined merely to Trump is misleading. But at the same time, I don't think Trump is especially islamophobic, I think he just increases the strength of his rhetoric cause it wins him votes.

Of course we're self-centred. My wellbeing matters more to me than Joe Bloggs'. Your wellbeing, or the wellbeing of anyone else in Britain, matters more to me than the wellbeing of Mr Squibbs in Pakistan. In much the same way that Mr Squibbs doubtless cares more about the wellbeing of his people than he cares about mine.

What do you mean by the bit about having your cake and eating it. do you mean we shouldn't pick and choose who enters our country? Cause I'm of the opinion that that should be a fundamental right of any sovereign country.

ISIS most certainly isn't a backlash against the US. You could argue that al-qaeda is, but ISIS is ironically rather more concerned with killing Shiite Muslims than Westerners. ISIS violence against the West only started because we joined forces with the Kurds and other ground forces to try and help defeat ISIS. Not to mention that ISIS' roots are from some 20 odd years ago, that there rise coincided with the US withdrawal from Iraq and that the core of ISIS is the Iraqi military who served under Saddam Hussein.

Will give this the respect and time it's due later but don't have time rn.

My point about the irrationality of the fear is centred around the total loss of European life on European soil as a result of ISIS compared to that in America as a result of their gun control or lack thereof.

There's the hypcorisy and why I do not agree with Trump using his audience to create division as a political tool.
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
That reminds me.. Why you no read me bedtime story? I had to read 50 shades of grey by myself :colonhash:

:rofl: :rofl:

I get recording 50 shades just for you. :mmm:
Oh well I don't know...

Just saying, 'the EU suffers more from terrorism than the US', while not necessarily wrong (mainly due to the unquantifiable nature of 'suffering'), is not really a fact.
Original post by TheThiefOfBagdad
Just saying, 'the EU suffers more from terrorism than the US', while not necessarily wrong (mainly due to the unquantifiable nature of 'suffering':wink:, is not really a fact.

Well I'm just looking at the most recent terrorist attacks in EU and the US.
Original post by Gwilym101
This coming from the country that has a mass shooting every two months on average.

So Americans can't say that Europe as a terrorist threat (which it does) because there are occasionally mass shootings in America? Deflect all you like, it doesn't make what he said any less true and it's frankly pathetic that you tried.
Well I'm just looking at the most recent terrorist attacks in EU and the US.

Even so, unless you work for the intelligence community you only really have past events to go on.
Since the 'war on terror' started this century (as far as the US is concerned), it seems fair to only use events from the 21st century in this discussion. To look at only the most recent events seems like cherry picking and leads to flawed conclusions.
Original post by ellie0497

America will be a far more dangerous place than the whole of Europe put together if he becomes president.

How so?

I really am interested to know what arguments liberals actually have against Donald Trump. Saying he is racist is hilarious.

I want Bernie to win, and I don't think Trump has a realistic chance of winning the presidency anyway because even if he does win the Republican nomination, two outcomes will happen: he gets no support or endorsements from his fellow repubs (very unlikely) as it will mean the complete and utter annihilation of the republican party or he does get endorsed by some but not all, which will leave the party too splintered to actually work vs the democrats.

If the unbelievable happens and he does manage to make things work, and begins to stand a real chance of winning the presidency, he will start to edge more and more closer to the left, to win the votes from the left anyway.

So this irrational fear of Trump just bewilders me. He's saying the exact same things as all the other republicans, just in ways that are a bit louder and inflammatory.

I can't support him at all because his views on global warming and climate change are a joke. He says it's a myth fabricated by the Chinese to control the global economy, and he wants to scrap Obama Care rather than refining it and establishing a real NHS for America, which is a real shame.

But saying Trump is racist is just so, so dumb. On what grounds? What did he do or say that's racist? I think you'll find if you look closely and stop circlejerking over your loony left media representation of him you'll find he is not racist at all. His policies on some things are absolutely rotten but he is not racist. Please drop 'hes racist' notion.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Duncaaaaaan
How so?

I really am interested to know what arguments liberals actually have against Donald Trump. Saying he is racist is hilarious.

I want Bernie to win, and I don't think Trump has a realistic chance of winning the presidency anyway because even if he does win the Republican nomination, two outcomes will happen: he gets no support or endorsements from his fellow repubs (very unlikely) as it will mean the complete and utter annihilation of the republican party or he does get endorsed by some but not all, which will leave the party too splintered to actually work vs the democrats.

If the unbelievable happens and he does manage to make things work, and begins to stand a real chance of winning the presidency, he will start to edge more and more closer to the left, to win the votes from the left anyway.

So this irrational fear of Trump just bewilders me. He's saying the exact same things as all the other republicans, just in ways that are a bit louder and inflammatory.

I can't support him at all because his views on global warming and climate change are a joke. He says it's a myth fabricated by the Chinese to control the global economy or something.

But saying Trump is racist is just so, so dumb. On what grounds? What did he do or say that's racist? I think you'll find if you look closely and stop circlejerking over your loony left media representation of him you'll find he is not racist at all. His policies on some things are absolutely rotten but he is not racist. Please drop 'hes racist' notion.

What policies did he suggest would help the American people other than building a wall to stop the Mexicans from entering? (considering the fact they're 'rapists', 'drug dealers' etc.)

I did not say he's racist. Lol.
Original post by Frank Underwood
It's amusing that he thinks that the UK and Europe aren't safe when they have hundreds of mass shootings every year.

I'd chose to live here over the US any day.

I agree with you. But that doesn't make what he's saying incorrect. Actually it's not really relevant at all lol
Original post by ellie0497
What policies did he suggest would help the American people other than building a wall to stop the Mexicans from entering? (considering the fact they're 'rapists', 'drug dealers' etc.)

I did not say he's racist. Lol.

No you didn't, but judging by your uninformed opinion on him talking about Mexicans I'm guessing you think that.

he doesn't have a problem with Mexicans.

He has a problem with the illegal immigrants that enter the USA and commit crimes, such as rape, and are affiliated with the cartels, dealing meth. It just so happens, the vast majority of these illegal immigrants are from Mexico, because it borders America.

Similarly on his proposed ban on Muslims entering the country, it's not about race, it's about Islam. Islam isn't a race. He's extremely skeptical about Islam.

As for America being unsafe if he wins the presidency... no, it will become safer in my opinion. He's making himself out to be a real hardline on crime, illegal immigrants (that commit the vast majority of crimes. Sorry but that's the truth) and terrorism.

I think he's going to have a hugely negative impact on America's relationship with the rest of the world, but if anything I think America will definitely see a fall in crime and Islamic extremism, because he will have brutal, heavy handed and extremely divisive policies on it.
Original post by Duncaaaaaan
No you didn't, but judging by your uninformed opinion on him talking about Mexicans I'm guessing you think that.

he doesn't have a problem with Mexicans.

He has a problem with the illegal immigrants that enter the USA and commit crimes, such as rape, and are affiliated with the cartels, dealing meth. It just so happens, the vast majority of these illegal immigrants are from Mexico, because it borders America.

Similarly on his proposed ban on Muslims entering the country, it's not about race, it's about Islam. Islam isn't a race. He's extremely skeptical about Islam.

As for America being unsafe if he wins the presidency... no, it will become safer in my opinion. He's making himself out to be a real hardline on crime, illegal immigrants (that commit the vast majority of crimes. Sorry but that's the truth) and terrorism.

I think he's going to have a hugely negative impact on America's relationship with the rest of the world, but if anything I think America will definitely see a fall in crime and Islamic extremism, because he will have brutal, heavy handed and extremely divisive policies on it.

How is he planning to ban Muslims from entering the country? It just shows how irrational he is. Not everyone 'looks' Muslim so that is firstly ridiculous.

The Mexican people are historically closer to the states than Donald himself.

With his full support of the second amendment I doubt America will be safer with him.

He would end up starting unnecessary/pointless wars with other countries he doesn't like.
Original post by YERE
No one took it because France have very strict gun laws smartass.

Countries that allow their Users to bear arms generally have very low terror rates and crime. Places with loose gun laws are normally the ones with the highest crime rates for obvious reasons.

Just look at Switzerland and Finland. 2 countries that didn't roll the red carpet for islamic immigration and have very strong laws allowing people to bear arms not only have on of the lowest homicide rates in Europe (#1 and #2 respectively) but they also have the lowest rates of terrorism in Europe.

See the pattern

In other words, you're not going to change your mind no matter how much convincing I do.

Bye
Reply 99
Original post by Frank Underwood
In other words, you're not going to change your mind no matter how much convincing I do.

Bye

You couldn't change my mind because you're a clueless ignorant dunce.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending