The Student Room Group

The straight and narrow path to 12A*'s

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Od.xiv
Is this how you revised for the exams which you got the results for in your report?

No, not really.

I would usually just look back in my class notes and do some active revision (practice questions, mini test booklets, etc.)

But, considering it's the real thing in 7 weeks, I thought I would develop a more efficient and effective revision method.

What do you do to revise? :smile:
Original post by Sage25
Coming along great thanks, almost finished Biology which is a relief :smile:

After finishing the notebooks, I'll be moving straight on to past papers. I'll just re-read them until I've familiarised myself with the spec and then start the past papers, hopefully by next Monday!

Where are you now with revision then? :smile:

Halfway through B1...its so long :boring:
But on the plus side...you can basically use the spec as a revision guide! It basically has everything you need to know
That definitely applies for biology, but i'm not sure about other subjects such as physics. Hopefully it's the same
I also ought to start past papers soon, these notebooks are testing my patience but should hopefully prove to be worth while :smile:
Original post by Sage25
Yeah, I've heard about the IGCSE

Do you attend a private school by any chance? :smile:

Nope, I just live in Hong Kong (Im Indian tho) thats why we don't do the GCSEs here. I study in an international British school :smile:
Original post by Mac117

Someone doing IGCSE, yay! Are you doing Edexel or CIE? I'm CIE. Which exams are you most stressed about? I am terrified of Additional Maths since it's a two-year course yet I am doing it in only 8 months...

I do CIE and Edexcel. Most worried for Biology tbh, I can cope with Maths but Biology and Chemistry always screw me over :frown:
Original post by Sage25
Sunday 27th March

Today - Wrote all of the B1 specification in my Biology subject notebook. As I only started at 2pm I could not finish the Biology notebook. I have a feeling the sciences will prove the most time-consuming of all of my subjects.

Tomorrow - I plan to finish the Biology notebook and move on to Business Studies which will not prove very challenging time wise. I may possibly finish the Business Studies notebook as I am waking up at 9am to make a start.

I also will not start the past papers until all of my subject notebooks have been completed. I predict I will complete all of the notebooks by the end of this coming week if I am working productively and efficiently

What is specification and where do you get this information from and does it help with revision???
Reply 65
Original post by Username3097486
Halfway through B1...its so long :boring:
But on the plus side...you can basically use the spec as a revision guide! It basically has everything you need to know
That definitely applies for biology, but i'm not sure about other subjects such as physics. Hopefully it's the same
I also ought to start past papers soon, these notebooks are testing my patience but should hopefully prove to be worth while :smile:

Yeah, no need for textbooks when the exam board give you the information which they will test you on haha

Yeah, for some subjects, class notes and other websites will be more suitable but for the most part the spec works wonders!

Starting past papers hopefully next week. The notebooks are time-consuming but like you said, worthwhile in the end :smile:
Reply 66
Original post by adityac3688
Nope, I just live in Hong Kong (Im Indian tho) thats why we don't do the GCSEs here. I study in an international British school :smile:

Oh, that sounds awesome haha!

Well, I understand that they're harder so good luck with them and I hope that revision is going well for you :smile:
Reply 67
Original post by NAILFISH007
What is specification and where do you get this information from and does it help with revision???

The specification is all the subject content which your exam board sets. Your teachers will have taught you the specification over the past 2 years of GCSE.

Your exams at the end of this school year will test you on the content in the specification. So yes, I would say the specification helps as it is everything laid out for you on what to revise and look over

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-BIOL-W-SP-14.PDF

The above link is the specification for Biology, written by my exam board for Biology which is AQA

Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by adityac3688
I do CIE and Edexcel. Most worried for Biology tbh, I can cope with Maths but Biology and Chemistry always screw me over :frown:

My school is Cambridge only it seems... I am calm about the sciences and normal maths, as well as geography. I want to bump my A in additional math to an A*, which is kind of hard since right now we are doing differentiential calculus and integration.

What is your revision technique? I write flash cards and record myself reading them, so I can have my notes with me at all times.
Original post by Sage25
I'm sorry to hear about the breakdown but I'm glad I can help in your motivation to revise for exams

I'm sure with predictions of that calibre, you'll be totally fine and considering it is IGCSE, it is even better :smile:

Medicine at Oxbridge/Imperial will be very rewarding for you I'm sure

Good luck with revision and your exams :smile:

Well I'm super happy with my predictions but I am almost positive that my real exams are going to be worse. I'll try to get the A* in additional maths, which would leave me with an A in German A, but that'd be enough for me since I'm not a native speaker yet still take the course :P
Original post by Sage25
Yeah, no need for textbooks when the exam board give you the information which they will test you on haha

Yeah, for some subjects, class notes and other websites will be more suitable but for the most part the spec works wonders!

Starting past papers hopefully next week. The notebooks are time-consuming but like you said, worthwhile in the end :smile:

Original post by Sage25
The specification is all the subject content which your exam board sets. Your teachers will have taught you the specification over the past 2 years of GCSE.

Your exams at the end of this school year will test you on the content in the specification. So yes, I would say the specification helps as it is everything laid out for you on what to revise and look over

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-BIOL-W-SP-14.PDF

The above link is the specification for Biology, written by my exam board for Biology which is AQA

Hope this helps :smile:

Hey,
I do the same exam board as you for science and plus I need some help. it would mean so much if you helped me with the following questions because i am literally struggling :smile:

1. Analyse and evaluate claims made by slimming programmes,and slimming products.

2. Explain how the treatment of disease has changed as aresult of increased understanding of the action of antibiotics and immunity Thanks
Reply 72
Original post by Mac117
Well I'm super happy with my predictions but I am almost positive that my real exams are going to be worse. I'll try to get the A* in additional maths, which would leave me with an A in German A, but that'd be enough for me since I'm not a native speaker yet still take the course :P

Trying to aim for A*'s in all subjects. My German is a predicted A but on my controlled assessments I have 2 A*'s and 2 A's, so it could be either grade haha

I'm aiming for an A* in Further Maths which I believe is relatively easy for me to achieve. However, my real goal would be to achieve an A* with distinction (A**) :smile:
Reply 73
Original post by Username3097486

I am about halfway through B2. Still got a way to go though. I did wake up at 9 to try and get in some extra time which has helped me slightly

Still, I can tell the sciences will be the most time-consuming and really test my patience haha :smile:
For medicine it is irrelevant what university you attend; as graduate prospects are good anyway and some dislike the teaching at Oxbridge so tbh among most people they aren't really considered the best among people considering those subjects.
Original post by Sage25
Trying to aim for A*'s in all subjects. My German is a predicted A but on my controlled assessments I have 2 A*'s and 2 A's, so it could be either grade haha

I'm aiming for an A* in Further Maths which I believe is relatively easy for me to achieve. However, my real goal would be to achieve an A* with distinction (A**) :smile:

Well I've been 2 marks off of an A* in my German mock, but since my exam board gives grades based only on exams, it will be tough (the boundary is 91% for an A*. It's 4 hours of essay-writing...).

Wow, A** exists? Nice! What topics do you guys do in further maths? Is it similar to add maths for IGCSE?
Reply 76
Original post by nisha.sri
Hey,
I do the same exam board as you for science and plus I need some help. it would mean so much if you helped me with the following questions because i am literally struggling :smile:

1. Analyse and evaluate claims made by slimming programmes,and slimming products.

2. Explain how the treatment of disease has changed as aresult of increased understanding of the action of antibiotics and immunity Thanks

Off the top of my head I couldn't give you great advice haha!

I would just say go through the specification which is linked above and find out the information on Antibiotics which is near the start of B1 as I have noted it down.

For slimming products, is that not about enzymes and in particular Isomerase?

I couldn't give you a perfect answer for either of them, but I would say look at the specification in B1 and B2. In particular, the slimming products links to enzymes and how fructose is sweeter than glucose, meaning less needs to be used in slimming products

Sorry I couldn't help you that much haha :smile:
Reply 77
Original post by TheGrammarGuru
For medicine it is irrelevant what university you attend; as graduate prospects are good anyway and some dislike the teaching at Oxbridge so tbh among most people they aren't really considered the best among people considering those subjects.

I realise graduate prospects are great from studying medicine at any University.

I didn't realise medical practices and other areas of medicine frowned upon the standard or style of teaching at Oxbridge :smile:
Reply 78
Original post by Mac117
Well I've been 2 marks off of an A* in my German mock, but since my exam board gives grades based only on exams, it will be tough (the boundary is 91% for an A*. It's 4 hours of essay-writing...).

Wow, A** exists? Nice! What topics do you guys do in further maths? Is it similar to add maths for IGCSE?

Yeah A** is pretty cool haha

Matrices, Trig Identities, Factor Theorem & Polynomials?
Original post by Sage25
Off the top of my head I couldn't give you great advice haha!

I would just say go through the specification which is linked above and find out the information on Antibiotics which is near the start of B1 as I have noted it down.

For slimming products, is that not about enzymes and in particular Isomerase?

I couldn't give you a perfect answer for either of them, but I would say look at the specification in B1 and B2. In particular, the slimming products links to enzymes and how fructose is sweeter than glucose, meaning less needs to be used in slimming products

Sorry I couldn't help you that much haha :smile:

It's fine but these questions were in the specification and they were in B1 so i wouldn't think that isomerase would be involved but it's okay thanks anyways.
:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest