The Student Room Group

Does cheap wine taste worse than good wine?

Bit of a duh question but asking coz I dont like the taste of alcohol in general so everything tastes awful to me :lol:

Any recommendations for a good red wine?

Scroll to see replies

Yes it does.

Cheap wine tastes sort of like vinegar but less malty
Cheap doesn't mean bad.

In my opinion, free wine tastes the best.
Original post by Slutty Salafi
Yes it does.

Let's put a 40% flat tax rate on all cheap wine.
Cheap wine can be great. Depends what you mean with cheap, though.
However free is always best.
Reply 5
Original post by Ethereal World
Cheap doesn't mean bad.

In my opinion, free wine tastes the best.

Yeah ofc but often they are harder to stomach than nicer/expensive ones I find
Reply 6
Original post by vonbroten
Cheap wine can be great. Depends what you mean with cheap, though.
However free is always best.

as in the stuff people pick up from the shops to down before a night out, as opposed to carefully selected wines in restaurants
Original post by tootles44
Yeah ofc but often they are harder to stomach than nicer/expensive ones I find

Pretty sure there was a taste test for Aldi wines and their cheap ass wines came out trumps? How cheap we talking ?

''wine for the table, not the cellar'- those sainbury's basics slogans kill me :rofl:
Reply 8
Original post by Slutty Salafi
Yes it does.

so its harder to drink?
Let's put a 40% flat tax rate on all cheap wine.

Lets abolish all income tax and raise VAT to 40%.
as in the stuff people pick up from the shops to down before a night out, as opposed to carefully selected wines in restaurants

So, around the 10 GBP price range?
Those can be great, to be honest. I usually never spend more than 15 GBP on a bottle.
Reply 11
Pretty sure there was a taste test for Aldi wines and their cheap ass wines came out trumps? How cheap we talking ?

''wine for the table, not the cellar'- those sainbury's basics slogans kill me :rofl:

lol at taste testing aldi wines

not trying to be offensive but I'd hardly have aldi shoppers down as wine connoisseurs :lol:
so its harder to drink?

depends what you're used to
il sell you a bottle of my home made wine? Made using grapes from our own grape vine.

£10 a bottle. Also got apple wine made from our own apples.... Although it's fairly sweet.
Reply 14
Original post by vonbroten
So, around the 10 GBP price range?
Those can be great, to be honest. I usually never spend more than 15 GBP on a bottle.

Yep

Can you recommend some then? And which ones should be avoided for those who aren't heavy wine drinkers?

not trying to be offensive but I'd hardly have aldi shoppers down as wine connoisseurs :lol:

Nah but blind taste testing with people who like wine.

But like... We talking a £2 supermarket bottle versus £8 or like an Aldi wine versus a really fine wine? There's too much variation.

In France cheap wine is certainly not bad.
I buy echo falls for about a fiver, and it tastes fine.

Additionally at £5 a bottle it's good if what I fancy is getting tipsy/drunk over simply a nice glass with dinner

Aldi = The Middle Class' dirty little secret.
Yep

Can you recommend some then? And which ones should be avoided for those who aren't heavy wine drinkers?

I usually prefer rieslings and riesling trockens (whites). Rieslings are generally rather sweet, so they're easy to drink.
But you could also try a merlot or shiraz (reds).

If you want a wine which is so easy to drink it feels like juice, you could look for a red called falling feather. It's so sweet, I almost puked after half a bottle.
Reply 19
Bit of a duh question but asking coz I dont like the taste of alcohol in general so everything tastes awful to me :lol:

Any recommendations for a good red wine?

Various bodies of research put the surroundings of wine consumption as more important to the experience than the contents of the bottle. At least to some extent, paying more is paying for a better and more sophisticated label, and the feeling than you have paid more and so the wine must taste better. Remove all that and most people couldn't taste the difference.

Whether than matters or not is for you to decide.

Red wine wise, any merlot or malbec around £5 is fairly safe.

Quick Reply

Latest