The Student Room Group

Study A-levels independently

Hi,

I live in Norway and need a General Certificate of Education (GCE) with 3 A-levels; what does this mean? What's the difference between AS and A2? I don't need a General Certificate of Secondary Education (GCSE), by the way. Can I take A-level exams independently without taking a course?:smile:
Original post by maddepadde
Hi,

I live in Norway and need a General Certificate of Education (GCE) with 3 A-levels; what does this mean? What's the difference between AS and A2? I don't need a General Certificate of Secondary Education (GCSE), by the way. Can I take A-level exams independently without taking a course?:smile:

AS is year 1, A2 is year two and is basically a much more detailed and complex version of AS.
You can take A levels independently, just buy the books and other resources you need to study, pay the exam fees and bam.
Reply 2
Original post by cherryred90s
AS is year 1, A2 is year two and is basically a much more detailed and complex version of AS.
You can take A levels independently, just buy the books and other resources you need to study, pay the exam fees and bam.

So, both of them combined makes an A-level? I need 3 A-levels, does that mean i need to sit six exams? Where can I take the exams and can I do all A-levels independently? I heard some A-levels require practicals or something and cannot be taken outside of a course.
Reply 3
I can also do Cambridge Pre-U Diploma with 3 Principal subjects and Global Perspective and Research instead of GCE with 3 A-levels. Which would be easier to do?
Reply 4
So, both of them combined makes an A-level? I need 3 A-levels, does that mean i need to sit six exams? Where can I take the exams and can I do all A-levels independently? I heard some A-levels require practicals or something and cannot be taken outside of a course.

USUALLY, A-level subjects have 2 exams at AS and 2 exams at A2. 4 exams for each subject, meaning 12 exams in total for 3 subjects. The A-levels which require practicals are usually just science subjects but things like English, History etc also have a coursework part to send off to the exam board as well. Are there no centres near you which offer A-levels?
Reply 5
Original post by sumeyyatontus
USUALLY, A-level subjects have 2 exams at AS and 2 exams at A2. 4 exams for each subject, meaning 12 exams in total for 3 subjects. The A-levels which require practicals are usually just science subjects but things like English, History etc also have a coursework part to send off to the exam board as well. Are there no centres near you which offer A-levels?

Oh, wow. I was thinking about doing 3 A-levels in 1 year, is it possible? I've already studied a lot of maths, so that would mean I am ~halfway (probably more) through one of the subjects. We don't have any exam centres in Norway, especially not offering A-levels, so I would make the travel to England to sit the exams:tongue:
Hi,

Is there a reason why you aren't applying with your Norwegian qualifications? Universities are pretty used to international students applying with their own native exam results. Whatever your country has as school leaving exams at the age of 18 is likely to be acceptable.
Reply 7
Oh, wow. I was thinking about doing 3 A-levels in 1 year, is it possible? I've already studied a lot of maths, so that would mean I am ~halfway (probably more) through one of the subjects. We don't have any exam centres in Norway, especially not offering A-levels, so I would make the travel to England to sit the exams:tongue:

I wouldn't really think it's very realistic to do AS & A2 for 3 subjects all in one year and do well in all of them. However with really hardcore revision *and starting early with it) I'm sure it's not impossible :biggrin:

Why do you NEED A levels? I'm pretty certain all UK universities accept the IB, and I'm sure you can do that in Norway??
Reply 8

Many UK universities accept foreign qualifications so are you sure you need 3 A levels?
You can take A levels as an external candidate. You can take them outside the UK but looking at this http://qualifications.pearson.com/en/support/support-topics/understanding-our-qualifications/find-a-pearson-centre.html you may be right in thinking there are no centres in Norway.
The A level system is currently changing. some subjects have already changed and some have not. The new system has the A level examined by 3 exams at the end of the course (normally 2 years). Most subjects have changed in the timescales you are thinking of but Maths and Further Maths have not. The old system had 4 or 6 units, with half normally being examined after a year and the other half at the end of the second year.

What subjects were you thinking of studying?

Yes. If you do say history at AS and then carry it on to A2, that makes one A level. All A levels include exams so yes you'd have to sit the exams.
You have to find a centre or school that accepts
external candidates. I recommend you find a school as they are much cheaper.
Some exams require things like coursework and practicals which would be difficult for a independent student. I'd suggest you steer clear if you can but if you must have an A level in a science subject or similar to get onto your desired course at uni then you will have to do a practical of some kind. It'll cost more but I'm sure it'd be worth it.
Reply 10
I can't* take anything other than GCE with 3 A-levels or Cambridge Pre-U Diploma with 3 Principal subjects and Global Perspective and Research. Which one I take depends on which one is easier or more accessible (any ideas?).

I don't necessarily need great grades, I need to pass. I definitely want to take math, maybe Spanish, and an easy subject. Anyone know of easy subjects I can study and sit exams independently with?

I can start studying right away, and I've come pretty far in Maths already. Can I take exams in January 2017 and June 2017?

Does anyone have experience with Oxford Open Learning?
I can't* take anything other than GCE with 3 A-levels or Cambridge Pre-U Diploma with 3 Principal subjects and Global Perspective and Research. Which one I take depends on which one is easier or more accessible (any ideas?).

I don't necessarily need great grades, I need to pass. I definitely want to take math, maybe Spanish, and an easy subject. Anyone know of easy subjects I can study and sit exams independently with?

I can start studying right away, and I've come pretty far in Maths already. Can I take exams in January 2017 and June 2017?

Does anyone have experience with Oxford Open Learning?

Why aren't you relying on your foreign qualifications though?
It would be much easier to do an A-Level equivalent in Norway though, the Videregående stole, Grades VG1-VG3.

Since the introduction of the reform Kunnskapsløftet ("the knowledge promise" or "the lifting of knowledge, the word løfte having two meanings) in the Autmn of 2006, a student can apply for a general studies (studiespesialisering) or a vocational studies (yrkesfag) path. What path are you on? And why study A-Levels? They're no better than the Kunnskapslofet.
Reply 12
Original post by recordplayee
Why aren't you relying on your foreign qualifications though?
It would be much easier to do an A-Level equivalent in Norway though, the Videregående stole, Grades VG1-VG3.

Since the introduction of the reform Kunnskapsløftet ("the knowledge promise" or "the lifting of knowledge, the word løfte having two meanings) in the Autmn of 2006, a student can apply for a general studies (studiespesialisering) or a vocational studies (yrkesfag) path. What path are you on? And why study A-Levels? They're no better than the Kunnskapslofet.

It's personal, the only thing you need to know is that I either need to take 3 A levels or Cambridge Pre u. The rest is irrelevant.

Quick Reply

Latest