The Student Room Group

A scenario that will stretch your moral boundaries.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by kieran12321LFC
What makes a person good and what makes a person bad

Would you say Adolf Hitler is a good person?
Original post by datmofo

I'd say that no-one is bad or good
Reply 62

So killing 6 millions Jews doesn't make Adolf Hitler a bad person?

ok mate...
Original post by datmofo

ok mate...

I'd say that act is bad but I wouldn't say he is a bad person or a good person either
Reply 64
I'd say that act is bad but I wouldn't say he is a bad person or a good person either

why?
Original post by datmofo
why?

Cause Hitler, like every other person has, had good traits as well as bad traits. For someone to be bad they must have no good traits and for someone to be good they must have no bad traits
Original post by Serine Soul
I'd rather this be taught rather than crackpot fairytales tbh

They need to get a sense of reality from a young age :yep:

This is a completely unrealistic scenario. How often do you find three people who you have no emotional attachment to, yet whose lives you know everything about, tied to train tracks, giving you the opportunity to save exactly one of them?
Reply 67
Cause Hitler, like every other person has, had good traits as well as bad traits. For someone to be bad they must have no good traits and for someone to be good they must have no bad traits

But surely his bad traits far outweigh the good...
Original post by datmofo
But surely his bad traits far outweigh the good...

He genuinely believed that what he was doing was good rather than bad
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
This is a completely unrealistic scenario. How often do you find three people who you have no emotional attachment to, yet whose lives you know everything about, tied to train tracks, giving you the opportunity to save exactly one of them?

Well you won't get anyone on train tracks but you would get kids thinking about the types of people around and what to avoid in their lives
What makes a person good and what makes a person bad

Original post by datmofo

Original post by datmofo

ok mate...

ok so what i think you mean is no-one is TRULY good or bad which i think agrees with your definition.

obviously a good person must do mainly good things and vica versa.
but what constitutes good things? well i think a good starting point is to say that good actions do not harm other or negatively impact them in any way
Original post by Tabstercat
if you think cannabis possession and heroin use make you a bad person you're an idiot

the fact they allowed themselves to get swayed and took heroin and the had opportunities to do well in uni ,but her quality of work is dropping, this makes her a bad person, doing drugs and lowering grades while having a brilliant opportunity to do well in life
Original post by datmofo
Being abused as a child does not justify him beating up his pregnant girlfriend so bad she's hospitalized for long periods of time.

it doesn't no but it's less of his fault than if someone else did it and they had a "normal" upbringing
Original post by thefatone
the fact they allowed themselves to get swayed and took heroin and the had opportunities to do well in uni ,but her quality of work is dropping, this makes her a bad person, doing drugs and lowering grades while having a brilliant opportunity to do well in life

lmao so if the quality of your work at school or uni dropped because you spent too much time on TSR should I consider you a bad person too? That's ****ing stupid.
Reply 74
it doesn't no but it's less of his fault than if someone else did it and they had a "normal" upbringing

So what's worse?

1. Having a 'normal' upbringing and becoming a drug addict.

2. Having a 'bad' upbringing and beating up your pregnant girlfriend so bad she is hospitalized for long periods of time.

Most would still consider number 2 worse regardless of upbringing.
lmao so if the quality of your work at school or uni dropped because you spent too much time on TSR should I consider you a bad person too? That's ****ing stupid.

that's not enough factors to make me a bad person
that's not enough factors to make me a bad person

why not? you're wasting your time on TSR and letting opportunities given to you slip away, according to your logic you're a bad person.
Original post by Fractite
Some people may have seen this before or done this in school (or it may have just been my school doing this), but we had a discussion in English about a scenario of 3 people on 3 different train tracks. You can only save ONE and the other two will die. All three have their flaws. It's quite long too. Hypothetically, who would you save out of these three?

Sally
First up is Sally. She's a young uni student studying science, and she's interested in cancer research cures. Because of this, she supports animal testing. She has had one conviction of cannabis possession in the last 6 months.

She's currently in a relationship with an older girl, called Jessica, 8 years older to be exact. She has had problems with her parents accepting her sexuality, which has lead to heated arguments, and due to this, Sally has not had any contact with her parents in the past year. Her drug use has also escalated to heroin use, which is also from a direct influence of her partner, who has been using it for 5 years.

The uni where she studies have told her that her work is diminishing in quality and have given her a written warning that if her approach to her studies don't improve, she could fail the course.

Sukhdev
Sukhdev is a middle-aged business man who has two children, aged 4 and 6. His children go to a local private school and are doing well academically, but there are issues regarding behaviour.

Sukhdev is the owner of a successful buisness,and due to this, he isn't at home as much as he would like. His company has recently been investigated for fraud, which he has been strongly linked to. Due to the concerns of school behaviour problems and work troubles, Sukhdev's wife, Jamilla, has been diagnosed with depression.

Sukhdev's travel and business travels have led him to have an 8-month affair with a young apprentice named Lucy. When the affair ended, Lucy left the company on her own terms, but she struggles to find work and Sukhdev won't support her, and thus has left her sharing a flat with two room-mates.

He is also considering divorcing his wife.

John
Finally, we have John, a 32 year old man living on the streets after several arrests and cautions for drug abuse and assaulting his pregnant girlfriend. His girlfriend has been hospitalised many times and for long periods of time. He no longer has family and friends to turn to apart from his elderly mother, who is suffering from dementia.

John then turned to petty theft, and then he mugged an elderly woman and stole all of her pension money. He awaits a hearing with regards to that assault. He shows no remorse for the crime, and says that if the local council gave him a house with benefits, he wouldn't be in that position. He has only ever held a job for more than a few weeks, and is constantly fired due to disagreements with managers.

John's childhood has also shaped the person who he is today. He was physically abused by his father when he was a child on a regular basis, and his mother escaped by moving away. The single-parent family have had to move several times, though, disrupting his education and ability to make friends.

I know it's a wall of text, but I wanna know what you guys think. I'll put up a poll for your decisions and you can put your explanations as replies.

- Chiny.

the middle guy for sure. I feel like he can redeem himself easier. who knows...maybe the wife wasn't so great.

the last buck seems to be messed up and sally is going down that route
Original post by datmofo
So what's worse?

1. Having a 'normal' upbringing and becoming a drug addict. HAD AMPLE OPPORTUNITIES TO DO WELL IN UNI BUT HER GRADES ARE DROPPING AND SHE STILL BECOMES A DRUGGIE

2. Having a 'bad' upbringing and beating up your pregnant girlfriend so bad she is hospitalized for long periods of time. HASN'T BEEN TAUGHT WHAT IS RIGHT AND WRONG DUE TO BAD UPBRINGING

Most would still consider number 2 worse regardless of upbringing.

thing is the girl in uni knows what is right and still chooses to do drugs which isn't something i'd look up to but she has the choice to do what she wants but she's fully capable and knows what she does.
the guy however doesn't really know right from wrong and hasn't developed a sense of morality because all he knows in his earlier life is abuse and pain so he'll do that to others so it make him feel better at the end of the day.

i'm not fighting my argument on the grounds of what is worse i'm fighting on who is not as wrong as the others.
why not? you're wasting your time on TSR and letting opportunities given to you slip away, according to your logic you're a bad person.

1 factor isn't enough to make me a bad person because it doesn't carry enough weight of "wrongness" i.e. doing drugs and wasting time are both wrong but which one is "wronger"? well doing drugs is obviously worse than wasting time.

Quick Reply

Latest