The Student Room Group

Pregnancy scare.

Hi,
I had sex on the 19th March. He didn't ejaculate but it was unprotected. My period was due on the 24th March and I'm usually very regular. A couple of days ago, I had such strong cramping that it woke me up from sleep, I put on a pad and went back to sleep certain that my period was starting. I woke up the next morning and no period.
It's now the 28th, I'm 4 days late and still no period. I did have very sensitive breasts a few days ago but I just put that down to PMS.

Is it possible to become pregnant so close to my expected period? I'm not sure what to do from here, but I've been told by my friends to wait it out a couple weeks before taking a test. I don't know if it's because I had sex so close to my expected period because I heard that can delay it too. A second opinion would be great.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Hi,
I had sex on the 19th March. He didn't ejaculate but it was unprotected. My period was due on the 24th March and I'm usually very regular. A couple of days ago, I had such strong cramping that it woke me up from sleep, I put on a pad and went back to sleep certain that my period was starting. I woke up the next morning and no period.
It's now the 28th, I'm 4 days late and still no period. I did have very sensitive breasts a few days ago but I just put that down to PMS.

Is it possible to become pregnant so close to my expected period? I'm not sure what to do from here, but I've been told by my friends to wait it out a couple weeks before taking a test. I don't know if it's because I had sex so close to my expected period because I heard that can delay it too. A second opinion would be great.

o.o sounds scary
Reply 2
You're pregnant lol
Reply 3
Original post by thefatone
o.o sounds scary

I know, I'm freaking out. I have had this monthly cycle app on my phone for years so it knows me very well. I feel stupid for having not used protection, but the stupid app said it was a 'safe day'. Definitely learned my lesson, but I think it's just a waiting game now :frown:
I know, I'm freaking out. I have had this monthly cycle app on my phone for years so it knows me very well. I feel stupid for having not used protection, but the stupid app said it was a 'safe day'. Definitely learned my lesson, but I think it's just a waiting game now :frown:

hmmm i guess :smile: but birth control could be an option?

Original post by dildos
You're pregnant lol

so helpful :colonhash: but tbh my response wasn't exactly helpful either xD
Reply 5
Original post by dildos
You're pregnant lol

You think?
Reply 6
Original post by thefatone
hmmm i guess :smile: but birth control could be an option?

Definitely, I think I'll go for the implant or something.

so helpful :colonhash: but tbh my response wasn't exactly helpful either xD

lol it's fine, not much anyone can really do to help me at this point
Reply 7
Original post by ishaggedyourmum
i shagged your mum

Thanks.
Reply 8
Why don't you go to a clinic and see if you're still within the window for emergency contraception ? Although as it's a bank holiday idk if places will be open..
Original post by jawsontheflooor
Why don't you go to a clinic and see if you're still within the window for emergency contraception ? Although as it's a bank holiday idk if places will be open..

I checked, it's too late. It's effective up to 5 days after. I should have taken it but I thought there's no way I could be pregnant because my period was due soon -___-
I checked, it's too late. It's effective up to 5 days after. I should have taken it but I thought there's no way I could be pregnant because my period was due soon -___-

Oh man hopefully you're lucky this time then
In my experience (that sounds weird haha) but whenever I have thought I've been pregnant I never have been. I've had a few pregnancy scares as I had symptoms, eg sore boobs, missed period, spotting etc. I personally think it's just your mind playing tricks on you, like you think your pregnant so your body gives you symptoms. I may be completely wrong but that's what's happened with me! At least you know next time to use a condom if you're not on birth control :smile:

Wait a couple of weeks and do a first response test, if it's negative then it will be a huge relief, but even if it's positive at least you know. And there's plenty of options open to you. Good luck :smile:
In my experience (that sounds weird haha) but whenever I have thought I've been pregnant I never have been. I've had a few pregnancy scares as I had symptoms, eg sore boobs, missed period, spotting etc. I personally think it's just your mind playing tricks on you, like you think your pregnant so your body gives you symptoms. I may be completely wrong but that's what's happened with me! At least you know next time to use a condom if you're not on birth control :smile:

Wait a couple of weeks and do a first response test, if it's negative then it will be a huge relief, but even if it's positive at least you know. And there's plenty of options open to you. Good luck :smile:

Oh so your period came and that's how you knew?

Thank you x
Oh so your period came and that's how you knew?

Thank you x

Yeah :smile: it was just a week or so late. Hope you're okay X
As you're already four days late, you should be able to do a pregnancy test. These are most accurate from the first day of your missed period (Source: http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/948.aspx). You did have sex quite late in your cycle, so you should be less fertile then, but there is always a risk. Definitely worth investing in some contraception for the future :h:

Given that this will be understandably playing on your mind, it's probably worth popping to Boots and getting a test to put your mind at ease! (Use the self-checkouts if you're mortified at the thought of buying one over the counter!).
Well, technically there's no such thing as a 'safe day' in terms of using no protection whatsoever. You can get pregnant while on your period, you can get pregnant from pre-cum even if he pulls out, etc. There's less fertile days - so you'd be fine using one form of protection instead of two, so if you're on the pill/implant you can get away with not using a condom - but the only way you can have unprotected sex with a 0% chance of getting pregnant is if you or your partner are infertile.

Just remember that stress affects your hormonal cycle - the more stressed you are, the later your period will be. (In the run up to my exams, I had no period for three months, and then it came two days after my last exam...) So even if you're not pregnant, your period might carry on being late because you're worrying about it. I agree that there's a fairly low chance in this case - low fertility and pulling out before ejaculation - but best to take a pregnancy test just in case. If your period still doesn't come, take another one a week or so later just to be sure.
Original post by antipathy
As you're already four days late, you should be able to do a pregnancy test. These are most accurate from the first day of your missed period (Source: http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/948.aspx). You did have sex quite late in your cycle, so you should be less fertile then, but there is always a risk. Definitely worth investing in some contraception for the future :h:

Given that this will be understandably playing on your mind, it's probably worth popping to Boots and getting a test to put your mind at ease! (Use the self-checkouts if you're mortified at the thought of buying one over the counter!).

Thanks so much for this !
Original post by ElspethC
Well, technically there's no such thing as a 'safe day' in terms of using no protection whatsoever. You can get pregnant while on your period, you can get pregnant from pre-cum even if he pulls out, etc. There's less fertile days - so you'd be fine using one form of protection instead of two, so if you're on the pill/implant you can get away with not using a condom - but the only way you can have unprotected sex with a 0% chance of getting pregnant is if you or your partner are infertile.

Just remember that stress affects your hormonal cycle - the more stressed you are, the later your period will be. (In the run up to my exams, I had no period for three months, and then it came two days after my last exam...) So even if you're not pregnant, your period might carry on being late because you're worrying about it. I agree that there's a fairly low chance in this case - low fertility and pulling out before ejaculation - but best to take a pregnancy test just in case. If your period still doesn't come, take another one a week or so later just to be sure.

Okay, thank you.
This isn't the first post I've seen here with a a similar question. Please - if you're having unprotected sex you're risking more than pregnancy. Think about contraception.

You probably aren't pregnant, but if you are, then you should really wait until 2 weeks after the 19th to do a test. They say the day your period should have started because if you're trying to get pregnant you'd be trying about two weeks before that...and the two weeks are about what it takes for HCG levels to build up enough to be detected. No harm in testing earlier, but probably a waste of money.

Quick Reply

Latest