The Student Room Group

Travelling alone, where to start?!

Hi, my name is Meg.

I'm 18 years old doing an apprenticeship in dog grooming. In a couple of years I am wanting to go and travel. The places I'd like to visit are Thailand, South Africa, Australia and the Caribbean. I would obviously like to see a lot more places but they are my dream places to visit.

The problem is, I do not have a clue where to start. I will be going alone so I am quite nervous but it is something I've always wanted to do.

Where do I even start? Has anyone got any advice that could help me out and just give me an idea on where to start?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Meg Whittaker
Hi, my name is Meg.

I'm 18 years old doing an apprenticeship in dog grooming. In a couple of years I am wanting to go and travel. The places I'd like to visit are Thailand, South Africa, Australia and the Caribbean. I would obviously like to see a lot more places but they are my dream places to visit.

The problem is, I do not have a clue where to start. I will be going alone so I am quite nervous but it is something I've always wanted to do.

Where do I even start? Has anyone got any advice that could help me out and just give me an idea on where to start?

Do you know the risks involved? You could be kidnapped raped and even killed. I would probably do something to minimise those risks before I went travelling.
And how are those risks minimised? I would obviously look into the places before I went. I just wanted advice on how much money I'd need before traveling, where to start?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Xenon17
Do you know the risks involved? You could be kidnapped raped and even killed. I would probably do something to minimise those risks before I went travelling.

South Africa I'd be hesitant. But she could just go to Aus & Thailand, stay in a hostel and tag on with other backpackers?

I'd be fine with going on my own, but then she is a seemingly attractive girl from her picture, so maybe it's not such a good idea, I don't know?

Have you asked friends if they'd want to go with you?
Reply 4
Original post by Sampaa
South Africa I'd be hesitant. But she could just go to Aus & Thailand

Thailand I'd be hesitant too.
Reply 5
Original post by Polar_
Thailand I'd be hesitant too.

Yeah, you might be right.
Right so you guys think I should not go alone? I've asked my friends but they have no ambition. If you could recommend some of the more 'safe' places to go, that would be helpful, as I said, i do not have a clue, it's just a dream of mine to travel :smile: thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The first thing you need to do is have a look through your monthly budget and work out where you can trim some fat and start saving.

The second thing to do is to open a savings account and start putting that money into it.

Once you've started saving, then you can work out where you want to go and how much it's going to cost - but it's impossible to save too much money so you may as well start saving first!
Start by getting a friend? :confused:

-Concerned citizen.
Right so you guys think I should not go alone? I've asked my friends but they have no ambition. If you could recommend some of the more 'safe' places to go, that would be helpful, as I said, i do not have a clue, it's just a dream of mine to travel :smile: thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Travelling alone is the absolute best. You can do what you want when you want. Maybe start by planning a 5 day trip somewhere like Berlin or Copenhagen where lots of people speak English, as a practice run - you can join one-day tours or walking tours, and if you're staying in a hostel that can be a great way to meet other travellers if you want to do that.
...by inviting me to go with you. :ahee:
And how are those risks minimised? I would obviously look into the places before I went. I just wanted advice on how much money I'd need before traveling, where to start?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hes either trolling or naive :rolleyes:

Id recommend Aus, my dad's family is from there :h:

Gl!! :smile:
Ribenarockstar, that's exactly why I'd like to travel alone! I would stay in hostels and like you said, meet other travellers. Have you travelled alone before?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Europe in general is pretty safe. Scandinavian countries are really safe. You could start with countries closer to you, perhaps? Once you get used to travelling alone, then you could travel farther? Some other fairly safe places are the islands near Spain such as the Canary Islands and they are very nice. I went to Puerto Rico de Gran Canaria, and there were mostly old people as tourists there, for example, so it's extremely safe and has nice beaches. Also Crete is nice.
So would Australia be a good place to start off?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Meg, from personal experience I will say that travelling alone is an amazing, liberating and testing experience. Giving yourself a couple of years to plan ahead is a great idea - I went travelling alone when I was 17-18 and I know I would've definitely got more out of it if I was a bit older and wiser when I did so, so give yourself plenty of time to plan and mature.

I wouldn't recommend going to South Africa alone at all, though. Such a dangerous place. I know loads of people who have visited Aus alone and they say it's the best thing they've ever done.

Good luck!
Reply 16

I've always wanted to go backpacking round Europe on the InterRail. Relatively cheap and fairly safe if you tag along with other people at hostels. You'd have to plan your route carefully but you could spend some time in France, Italy, Spain, Germany, Amsterdam etc.
Alright I see, so the best bet is to travel closer to home first to get me used to travelling alone, and then obviously go further and further? Good idea!😀

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sounds amazing lozikins. Yes I will take on board what you have just said about South Africa, I could maybe go on holiday there with my family or friends, so it is safer. Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes I would love to go backpacking. Meeting people who have the same dreams and ambition as I do! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest