The Student Room Group

A2 Edexcel Geography 2016 Contested Planet/Geographical Research

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jack Francis
Hey, im Jack and im an external candidate sitting the techtonics unit 4 report landscape paper. Do you have any information/ class notes that could help me as ive got nobody to teach me :frown: Thanks would be much appreciated!

PLEASE HELP ME I NEED TO DO WELL ON THIS EXAM! :frown:

Hello Jack,
I am doing unit 4 as well, and I do not know if you have checked, but the question is very similar to the question from 2011, if I were you I would look at that; look at the mark scheme and the examiner report, to write a rough draft. How much do you know about the exam? The structure? Also what is your case study knowledge? It needs to be a wide range of various physical landscapes from exterior to interior. You need to be able to know the difference between Dykes and Sills, and the diverse range of plate boundaries and what they produce.
On the other hand, this is only a small proportion of the marks, a lot the overall marks come from your structure, make sure you have a solid introduction and a strong methodology. The pre-release is very similar to what the question is likely to be, here's an example:
"Explain why tectonic processes produce a variety of distinctive landscapes"
The main help I can give you is find a wide range of case studies. If you need any other help give me a shout, and if I cannot answer it, I can just ask my teacher.
Indigo
Reply 61
Guys anyone have any info on Section B superpowers?have your teachers given you any handouts/guidance?? HELP PLEASEEE!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 62
This is how I've broken down the pre-release for food and famine so far, I'll be doing some more work on it over half term as I plan to use some more recent stuff like ISIS in relation to aid and Zika in relation to population but I also got a lot of reading from national geographic on it for homework so no doubt I'll find bits and pieces in there too. The main struggle I think will be to bring in theories like Malthus and Boserup without feeling like its shoe-horned in.
Reply 63
Original post by Ani25
For those doing food for unit 4, what are the best case studies to learn for both famine and food surpluses? Also the best factors to talk about for political, socio-economic and environmental?

China is the best bet for both, look at the Tibetan famine and the Great Leap Forward then the book 'Fat China' by Paul French. The little emperor syndrome and six pockets syndrome are the main points of how famine has turned to surplus so quickly.
Original post by w4keup_
This is how I've broken down the pre-release for food and famine so far, I'll be doing some more work on it over half term as I plan to use some more recent stuff like ISIS in relation to aid and Zika in relation to population but I also got a lot of reading from national geographic on it for homework so no doubt I'll find bits and pieces in there too. The main struggle I think will be to bring in theories like Malthus and Boserup without feeling like its shoe-horned in.

You are amazing thank you so much - my teachers are crap at the moment
Reply 65
Original post by AlohaCharlotte
You are amazing thank you so much - my teachers are crap at the moment

Its no problem, my teacher has been fairly useful in terms of widening our case studies, I'll update the pdf when I've finished my national geographic reading but if you have any questions feel free to ask
I have added a poll to the thread, if everyone can kindly vote on it, I would appreciate it :smile: ( you can vote on more than one since you have to pick two topics :biggrin: )
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 67
Original post by Indigo.Brownhall
Hello Jack,
I am doing unit 4 as well, and I do not know if you have checked, but the question is very similar to the question from 2011, if I were you I would look at that; look at the mark scheme and the examiner report, to write a rough draft. How much do you know about the exam? The structure? Also what is your case study knowledge? It needs to be a wide range of various physical landscapes from exterior to interior. You need to be able to know the difference between Dykes and Sills, and the diverse range of plate boundaries and what they produce.
On the other hand, this is only a small proportion of the marks, a lot the overall marks come from your structure, make sure you have a solid introduction and a strong methodology. The pre-release is very similar to what the question is likely to be, here's an example:
"Explain why tectonic processes produce a variety of distinctive landscapes"
The main help I can give you is find a wide range of case studies. If you need any other help give me a shout, and if I cannot answer it, I can just ask my teacher.
Indigo

Hello,

I also desperately need help with this since I've got none and have not been taught landscapes at all! Do you have any documents or info that could help? I would GREATLY APPRECIATE IT!! PLEASE help..
Also, which landforms would you talk about? I saw the mark scheme from 2011 but I'm confused...am I supposed to talk about the types of plate boundaries as well??
I am so lost...do you have any kind of structure or framework in mind?
And which case studies?
I am sorry for so many questions but I'm truly worried about this..
thanks!
Reply 68
Original post by Missstudent04
yess I am! I am hating it too! Our class tried begging our teacher to change it but she didn't want to change it -.- Our teacher hasn't given us any information yet but we are going to go through it soon. I really hate the title, I was praying that tectonic landscapes shouldn't come up but it did -.- So, I think I am gonna be screwed. We are going to go through superpowers soon and as soon as we get some kind of structure I'll suggest it on here.

What are you going to pick for your other sections?

For Section A I am doing Biodiversity and Development Gap..and I am desperately needing help on Section B - Superpowers since I don't have any help from teacher..how do I break it down? What research to do?? :frown:((
Reply 69
Original post by lillyac
Hey guys! Pre-release it out! Have your teachers given you any insight? Any helpful notes? Please share..thanks!

THANK YOU SOO MUCH!I'm a private candidate doing Geography at Home and it has taken me 2 WEEKS to find this!!! THANKS AGAIN! #LIFESAVER!Goodluck if you're taking the exam! :smile:
Reply 70
does anyone have any notes on energy or tech fix? they're self taught in my school so i don't have much in the way of notes or revision
Reply 71
Does anyone have access to a model answer on the June 2010 food supply question?

If so, could you pleease share? Thanks!!!
Reply 72
Original post by w4keup_
does anyone have any notes on energy or tech fix? they're self taught in my school so i don't have much in the way of notes or revision

I found a really good PDF online with notes on the unit 3 topics. Hope you find it useful.

http://www.percocohs.com/20%20-Geography-Contested-Planet-Revision-Guide.pdf
Original post by Ani25
Does anyone have access to a model answer on the June 2010 food supply question?

If so, could you pleease share? Thanks!!!

I think we're writing one at my school at the moment - when I'm finished and its marked I'll post it if anyone is interested:smile:
I think we're writing one at my school at the moment - when I'm finished and its marked I'll post it if anyone is interested:smile:

That will be great thank you! :smile: are you doing it over Easter?
Reply 75
Original post by Omz97
THANK YOU SOO MUCH!I'm a private candidate doing Geography at Home and it has taken me 2 WEEKS to find this!!! THANKS AGAIN! #LIFESAVER!Goodluck if you're taking the exam! :smile:

No worries! Im glad it helped! Thank you good luck to you too!hopefully someone will post possible questions for section B and tectonics help! :smile:
Does anyone know why tech fix is always the least popular option? It seems like the most straightforward option:s-smilie:
Original post by OrdinaryStudent
That will be great thank you! :smile: are you doing it over Easter?

Yes I will be! My class actually has the deadline for wednesday, but as I've been all over the place with ISAs my teachers are extending the deadline. I can ask around as well and see what everyone else is writing.

If you want I can post my plan?
Yes I will be! My class actually has the deadline for wednesday, but as I've been all over the place with ISAs my teachers are extending the deadline. I can ask around as well and see what everyone else is writing.

If you want I can post my plan?

That will be great thanks!! :smile:
Reply 79
Is anyone doing cold environments for their topic? no one seems to be doing it.

Quick Reply

Latest