The Student Room Group

M2 Collisions Q

Sorry for posting another question, but this one I found really challenging, and I'm not sure how to solve this, as I got a quadratic of the velocity of the shell and I couldn't go on from there.

Question:

A gun of mass M kg is free to move horizontally. The gun fires a shell of mass m kg in ahorizontal direction. The energy released by the explosion, which occurred in firing theshell, is E(J). Find the velocity of the shell in terms of m, M and E if all of this energy is givento the shell and the gun.
Original post by TheKevinFang
Sorry for posting another question, but this one I found really challenging, and I'm not sure how to solve this, as I got a quadratic of the velocity of the shell and I couldn't go on from there.

Question:

A gun of mass M kg is free to move horizontally. The gun fires a shell of mass m kg in ahorizontal direction. The energy released by the explosion, which occurred in firing theshell, is E(J). Find the velocity of the shell in terms of m, M and E if all of this energy is givento the shell and the gun.

Post some working. You should be able to get a formula for the velocity, without a fullblown quadratic.

Outline:

Conservation of momentum.

Total energy after firing = E.

Eliminate the velocity of the gun from the two equations.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ghostwalker
Post some working. You should be able to get a formula for the velocity, without a fullblown quadratic.

Outline:

Conservation of momentum.

Total energy after firing = E.

Eliminate the velocity of the gun from the two equations.

Thanks, I actually found my mistake 30 seconds after replying...
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest