Successful PPE applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by MR.ANONYMOUS 786
Oh. Ok. No worries 👍👍👍

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cheers :beer:
Maybe I was wrong. 😂😂😂 It is quite competitive.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It is competitive. I got 4 A* and 4A at GCSE, I don't think generally that's the key factor though, generally what's going to get you there is a strong TSA and if you get interviewed, doing well at that - and of course your A lev grades.

Of all of those, the TSA and the interview are probably the most crucial.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
It is competitive. I got 4 A* and 4A at GCSE, I don't think generally that's the key factor though, generally what's going to get you there is a strong TSA and if you get interviewed, doing well at that - and of course your A lev grades.

Of all of those, the TSA and the interview are probably the most crucial.

Did you get in to do PPE at Oxford ? What A levels did you do ? Thanks. When did you apply for uni ? Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Did you get in to do PPE at Oxford ? What A levels did you do ? Thanks. When did you apply for uni ? Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes. I did Politics, Economics, History and French at A.

I applied way back in 2009, so my advice may be slightly out of date! Hopefully not too much has changed since then, at least in terms of the application process. The basics all sound the same from the current website.
http://www.ppe.ox.ac.uk/index.php/applying-for-ppe

I applied way back in 2009, so my advice may be slightly out of date! Hopefully not too much has changed since then, at least in terms of the application process. The basics all sound the same from the current website.

Right. Do you think that those GCSEs grades would suffice for a 2016 application ? Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 85

Hi Full of surprises I hope you don't mind I tagged you because I, thought you did PPE. What was your interview like was it hard to answer the questions? I found mine started off ok and got increasingly difficult until I found it impossible. I think your experience is still relevant to Mr Anonymous's situation? :colonhash:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Thomb
Hi Full of surprises I hope you don't mind I tagged you because I, thought you did PPE. What was your interview like was it hard to answer the questions? I found mine started off ok and got increasingly difficult until I found it impossible. I think your experience is still relevant to Mr Anonymous's situation? :colonhash:

Yes, indeed. I would really appreciate your advice and knowing how your experience was. Thanks a bunch. You are a very interesting person from what your Bio tells me.

I really appreciate what you're doing Thomb. My heart goes out to you. Thank you so much

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 87
Yes, indeed. I would really appreciate your advice and knowing how your experience was. Thanks a bunch. You are a very interesting person from what your Bio tells me.

I really appreciate what you're doing Thomb. My heart goes out to you. Thank you so much

Posted from TSR Mobile

OOOOooooo...... :colondollar:

No worries.
Original post by Thomb
OOOOooooo...... :colondollar:

No worries.

Thanks man. I owe you one. I'm not being sarcastic. Lol. Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 89
Thanks man. I owe you one. I'm not being sarcastic. Lol. Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cool.
Original post by MouseyBrown
I think this exactly the kind of thing I'm warning you of. Saying there is 'no point' in applying without X amount of A*s is just bad advice. It's wrong, and is the kind of thing that I think is a reason for fewer non-public school students applying.

True about the A levels, though. You need AAA predictions, and it will be hard to get in if you miss your offer.

About the A levels. Make sure you know what specific units you will study. Probably everything is interesting up to a point, but, say, I would probably not have picked English Lit if I'd know I would be doing First World War poetry. Funnily enough, I wish I had chosen Maths. The rest are all good, Econ was the best decision I ever made, my history units are perfect, and politics fits in with it all really nicely. But, again, if I was studying Henry VIII or something instead of post-war England at History, it wouldn't all go so nicely together.

So check what you would be studying, and smash loads of past papers. Cause getting good UMS at AS definitely takes off the pressure at A2. Which in itself is kind of worrying, cause pressure is good! And just read around your subject. Have opinions, ideas on different things.

Yeah, got an offer for History and Politics, and GCSEs are 9 A* and an A.

Do you know of anyone that got an offer for that particular course with less 'good' grades as yours ? Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do you know of anyone that got an offer for that particular course with less 'good' grades as yours ? Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not sure...I'm on a Facebook group of all HisPol offer holders, but could only say I know somebody who got AAAB at AS.
Original post by MouseyBrown
Not sure...I'm on a Facebook group of all HisPol offer holders, but could only say I know somebody who got AAAB at AS.

I think I should've made it more clear. I was talking about GCSE grades. Could you maybe ask on the Facebook group. Thanks, much appreciated.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The reason why I ask is because a TSR member had stated a few years ago that he had received a place for PPE with only 3 A stars 4A and 3B. However, this was a while back so I just wanted to see if their standards have increased. Thanks, much appreciated.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending