The Student Room Group

Trigonometry help please

Hey guys,

Could someone please show me how to do the following questions. I would be very grateful.
Thanks in advance to anyone who helps :smile:

For part A) do I divide 1 by 3 first then square root or square root first then divide by 3?

Scroll to see replies

For questions like these, your aim first is to isolate the trign(x) function so you can then take the nth root of both sides. So what you thought of doing first is correct
For part A) Divide 1 by 3 first then square root (I think)
Original post by Aty100
Hey guys,

Could someone please show me how to do the following questions. I would be very grateful.
Thanks in advance to anyone who helps :smile:

For part A) do I divide 1 by 3 first then square root or square root first then divide by 3?

remember that

3tan2θ=13\tan ^2 \theta = 1

is the same as

3(tanθ)2=1 3\left( \tan \theta \right)^2 = 1

yay it came out right :u:
(edited 8 years ago)
It doesn't matter if you divide 1 by 3 first or do the square root first (and then divide by root 3, not 3). Bear in mind there may be two possible real solutions for a quadratic if the discriminant is >0.

Both those equations involve special angles, which you should memorise. In this case the special angles are sin(pi/4) = 1/(root2), sin(pi/6) = 1/2 and cos(pi/6) = (root3)/2.
Original post by Student403
For questions like these, your aim first is to isolate the trign(x) function so you can then take the nth root of both sides. So what you thought of doing first is correct

wait a sec, but root 1 is 1????
Original post by thefatone
remember that

is the same as

(3tanθ)2=1 \left( 3 \tan \theta \right)^2 = 1

Came out right but it's wrong :wink:.
wait a sec, but root 1 is 1????

Huh?
remember that

is the same as

(3tanθ)2=1 \left( 3 \tan \theta \right)^2 = 1

Nooo
Original post by Unkempt_One
Came out right but it's wrong :wink:.

remember that

is the same as???

3(tanθ)2=1 3\left( \tan \theta \right)^2 = 1 ?????
remember that

is the same as???

Yup
Nooo

was it you?

i remember doing trig myself and i remember taking out a factor instead of doing a quadratic and someone posted nooooooooooooooo with a funny picture of someone holding their head saying nooooooooooooo
remember that

is the same as???

Umm, yes. But it really doesn't matter in which order you deal with the coefficient lol. That's basic algebra. The key points here are quadratics and special angles.
was it you?

i remember doing trig myself and i remember taking out a factor instead of doing a quadratic and someone posted nooooooooooooooo with a funny picture of someone holding their head saying nooooooooooooo

Probably not :tongue:
Probably not :tongue:

hmmm might have been TeeEm ...

To extend this, in general you might not be able to 'isolate' the sin/cos function neatly. Anticipating harder questions you might get asked, you might have quadratic equations where the linear component is not zero eg. sin^2 - ((1+root3)/2)sin + (root3)/4. In general you're finding possible solutions of the quadratic, figuring out which of those solutions lie in the range of the trigonometric function and finding what values of x map to those solutions.
was it you?

Nevermind you were talking about something different than I thought.
(edited 8 years ago)
Nevermind you were talking about something different than I thought.

i found the thread which that happened check it out ^^^ a few posts up
To extend this, in general you might not be able to 'isolate' the sin/cos function neatly. Anticipating harder questions you might get asked, you might have quadratic equations where the linear component is not zero eg. sin^2 - ((1+root3)/2)sin + (root3)/4. In general you're finding possible solutions of the quadratic, figuring out which of those solutions lie in the range of the trigonometric function and finding what values of x map to those solutions.

Right :smile:

Nice find :P

Quick Reply

Latest