The Student Room Group

Can someone please help with this problem xx

500g of an ointment containing 12.5%w/v of emulsifying wax is prepared. The weight of emulsifying wax in 280g of ointment is:
A.9.6g B.220g C.26.8g D.29.0g E.35.0g

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What are your thoughts?
Original post by Zacken
What are your thoughts?

I somehow get 7g I don't know what I'm doing wrong, I'm awful at maths sorry!
Original post by icantdothemaths
500g of an ointment containing 12.5%w/v of emulsifying wax is prepared. The weight of emulsifying wax in 280g of ointment is:
A.9.6g B.220g C.26.8g D.29.0g E.35.0g

100=100%
50=50%=0.5=12 \dfrac {1}{2}
25=25%=0.25=14 \dfrac {1}{4}
12.5=12.5%=12.5=18 \dfrac {1}{8}
Original post by Zacken
What are your thoughts?

Spoiler

Reply 4
280/100=2.8 (so 1% is 2.8 grams)

2.8 x 12.5=35 (so 12.5% is 35 grams)

:smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
I somehow get 7g I don't know what I'm doing wrong, I'm awful at maths sorry!

Original post by bilbomi
280/100=2.8

2.8 x 12.5=35

:smile:

or do 280/8 which goes straight to 35 :biggrin: :h:
Original post by thefatone

Thanks guys can someone explain why you do these methods. Like I said I am awful at maths! :frown:
Reply 7

Ah yeah nice, I didn't think of doing that :biggrin:
100=100%
50=50%=0.5=12 \dfrac {1}{2}
25=25%=0.25=14 \dfrac {1}{4}
12.5=12.5%=12.5=18 \dfrac {1}{8}

Thanks guys can someone explain why you do these methods. Like I said I am awful at maths! :frown:

^^ look 12.5% of the wax is in the ointment so 12.5% of the wax in the 280g ointment is what you need to work out
Original post by bilbomi
Ah yeah nice, I didn't think of doing that :biggrin:

Is that because 12.5% is 1/8. So 280/8= 35
Reply 10

100/12.5 is 8, so you know that 12.5 is one eighth of 100%

This means you can divide your value of 280 by 8 to get the right amount of grams :smile:

Hopefully that makes sense, and btw don't tell yourself you're bad at maths! We all have the ability to do well! :smile:
^^ look 12.5% of the wax is in the ointment so 12.5% of the wax in the 280g ointment is what you need to work out

Yeah I get it now.

I suppose you could also multiply 0.125 by 280 to get the same answer as well

Thanks for all your help.
Yeah I get it now.

I suppose you could also multiply 0.125 by 280 to get the same answer as well

Thanks for all your help.

yup
yup

I have a syringe driver question, you seem to be good at maths!

15. Asyringe driver contains 15ml diamorphine hydrochloride 4mg/ml solution. Thelength of the syringe driver is 60mm. What rate should the syringe driver beset at, so that the patient receives 5mg/h of diamorphine hydrochloride?A. 3mm/hB. 4mm/hC. 5mm/hD. 6mm/hE. 7mm/h\�rc�

My thoughts are that:
There are 15ml in 60mm
4mgX15= 60mg
60mg=60mm
1mg/1mm
Thus 5mm/h
I have a syringe driver question, you seem to be good at maths!

15. Asyringe driver contains 15ml diamorphine hydrochloride 4mg/ml solution. Thelength of the syringe driver is 60mm. What rate should the syringe driver beset at, so that the patient receives 5mg/h of diamorphine hydrochloride?A. 3mm/hB. 4mm/hC. 5mm/hD. 6mm/hE. 7mm/h\�rc�

My thoughts are that:
There are 15ml in 60mm
4mgX15= 60mg
60mg=60mm
1mg/1mm
Thus 5mm/h

yes in total there's 60milli grams
since the syringe is 60mm long and you have in total 60 mg of the stuff then 1mg can = 1mm
since this is the case then all you need to do is say 5mg/hour which is what you put so i'm assuming that's correct

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)
yes in total there's 60milli grams
since the syringe is 60mm long and you have in total 60 mg of the stuff then 1mg can = 1mm
since this is the case then all you need to do is say 5mg/hour which is what you put so i'm assuming that's correct

Spoiler

A patient weighing 80 kg is prescribed amiodarone5mg/kg to be administered over 120 minutes. Choose the most suitablepreparation and flow rate for this prescription from the options below:A 10mL of amiodarone injection (30mg/mL) added to 500mL glucose 5% and administeredat a flow rate of 170 mL per hourB 6mL of amiodarone sterile concentrate added to 500 mL sodium chloride 0.9% andadministered at a flow rate of 253 mL per hourC 8mL of amiodarone sterile concentrate added to 250 mL sodium chloride 0.9% andadministered at a flow rate of 129 mL per hourD 8mLof amiodarone sterile concentrate added to 250mL glucose 5% and administered ata flow rate of 129 mL per hourE 8mLof amiodarone sterile concentrate added to 500 mL glucose 5% and administeredat a flow rate of 254 mL per hour
Don't know where to start with that one! :frown:
Original post by Zacken
What are your thoughts?

Could you help me with this one please, I don't know where to even start!

A patient weighing 80 kg is prescribed amiodarone5mg/kg to be administered over 120 minutes. Choose the most suitablepreparation and flow rate for this prescription from the options below:

A 10mL of amiodarone injection (30mg/mL) added to 500mL glucose 5% and administeredat a flow rate of 170 mL per hour
B 6mL of amiodarone sterile concentrate added to 500 mL sodium chloride 0.9% andadministered at a flow rate of 253 mL per hour
C8mL of amiodarone sterile concentrate added to 250 mL sodium chloride 0.9% andadministered at a flow rate of 129 mL per hour
D 8mLof amiodarone sterile concentrate added to 250mL glucose 5% and administered ata flow rate of 129 mL per hour
E 8mLof amiodarone sterile concentrate added to 500 mL glucose 5% and administeredat a flow rate of 254 mL per hour
Could you help me with this one please, I don't know where to even start!

A patient weighing 80 kg is prescribed amiodarone 5mg/kg to be administered over 120 minutes. Choose the most suitable preparation and flow rate for this prescription from the options below:

A 10mL of amiodarone injection (30mg/mL) added to 500mL glucose 5% and administered at a flow rate of 170 mL per hour
B 6mL of amiodarone sterile concentrate added to 500 mL sodium chloride 0.9% administered at a flow rate of 253 mL per hour
C 8mL of amiodarone sterile concentrate added to 250 mL sodium chloride 0.9% administered at a flow rate of 129 mL per hour
D 8mL of amiodarone sterile concentrate added to 250mL glucose 5% and administered at a flow rate of 129 mL per hour
E 8mL of amiodarone sterile concentrate added to 500 mL glucose 5% and administered at a flow rate of 254 mL per hour

sorry bout that i went to sleep after that last question you gave me xD it was getting very late.
hmm doesn't seem like A is a good answer since the rest are sterile concentrates and administering sodium chloride to patients is really the best of ideas

so that leaves us with D and E.

not really sure about this... seems like there should be something i know but i don't :/

so with a blind guess i'm going to go for D since a lower flow rate is better? because it's better the less stuff you put into someone's body? risks? hp hazards?

@Zacken @Student403 verify i chose something ok?
sorry bout that i went to sleep after that last question you gave me xD it was getting very late.
hmm doesn't seem like A is a good answer since the rest are sterile concentrates and administering sodium chloride to patients is really the best of ideas

so that leaves us with D and E.

not really sure about this... seems like there should be something i know but i don't :/

so with a blind guess i'm going to go for D since a lower flow rate is better? because it's better the less stuff you put into someone's body? risks? hp hazards?

@Zacken @Student403 verify i chose something ok?

Idk about this biology stuff :P

But why can't you give sodium chloride to patients? That's just table salt
Original post by Student403
Idk about this biology stuff :P

But why can't you give sodium chloride to patients? That's just table salt

lol tbh to me it doesn't really make sense where you inject ppl with salt xD

u trying to kill someone? xD

Quick Reply

Latest