The Student Room Group

Muslims help

I'm currently at uni but I cba with it anymore

The workload is too much and I can see myself failing

I also have a part time job and I cba with it either as the hours and travel are long and tiring

I prefer to stay at home. I love cooking and making different things but most of the time I'm told to leave cooking by my mum to go and revise.

I can't see myself getting a decent job in the future so what's the point? I've told my mum but she refuses to listen as she has different expectations

I know I'm supposed to listen to her in Islam, but I can't see myself doing another two years of uni and succeeding

What does Islam say about this? What's the best thing to do?

I would've posted on isoc but wanted to post anon

Scroll to see replies

just finish uni, it's only 2 years
Reply 2
Original post by SAhm95
just finish uni, it's only 2 years

Well that helps...
Islamically as a girl you have to be provided for. When you get married it is the duty of your husband to provide for you, you don't have to contribute a penny. But, knowledge is a virtue to success and will be good. Why not join a cooking society? Balance your life. I know it's hard but you've only 2 more years.
What do you study in uni if I may ask?
Original post by Anonymous
I'm currently at uni but I cba with it anymore

The workload is too much and I can see myself failing

I also have a part time job and I cba with it either as the hours and travel are long and tiring

I prefer to stay at home. I love cooking and making different things but most of the time I'm told to leave cooking by my mum to go and revise.

I can't see myself getting a decent job in the future so what's the point? I've told my mum but she refuses to listen as she has different expectations

I know I'm supposed to listen to her in Islam, but I can't see myself doing another two years of uni and succeeding

What does Islam say about this? What's the best thing to do?

I would've posted on isoc but wanted to post anon

Salaam

If you seriously feel that you can't keep up with it then you should speak to your mum. Tell her slowly how hard it is and the things you want.

First thing you need to do when faced with a problem is to tell Allah, pray tahajjud and make dua to Allah. Tell him your problems and ask for a solution. Just doing that and having full reliance on him will ease your situation greatly.

In terms of practical steps you just have to convince your mum gradually, she'll understand inshaAllah.

You said you prefer to stay at home, so think of your future, what you want for self. Maybe you could study the deen or something.

Ultimately the decision is yours and no one knows your situation properly except Allah. All you have to do is make sincere dua to him.

Don't make any rash decisions too.

Hope it works out.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by star80
Islamically as a girl you have to be provided for. When you get married it is the duty of your husband to provide for you, you don't have to contribute a penny. But, knowledge is a virtue to success and will be good. Why not join a cooking society? Balance your life. I know it's hard but you've only 2 more years.

THANK YOU
I tried explaining this to my mum, how I don't need to work, it's better for women to stay at home etc. but she said you have to work and be independent and I'm just like no :colonhash: What's the point in working, all that changes when you have kids

I've already done a levels that's enough knowledge for me lol
It's not about a cooking society, it's the fact I'm on a degree I don't enjoy, but if I HAD to pick a degree it'd be this one
Reply 7
Original post by Real_jenn
What do you study in uni if I may ask?

I'd rather not say but it's science based
Reply 8
THANK YOU
I tried explaining this to my mum, how I don't need to work, it's better for women to stay at home etc. but she said you have to work and be independent and I'm just like no :colonhash: What's the point in working, all that changes when you have kids

I've already done a levels that's enough knowledge for me lol
It's not about a cooking society, it's the fact I'm on a degree I don't enjoy, but if I HAD to pick a degree it'd be this one

Damn, would you look at that. Its usually the opposite way round.

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9
its only two years. if the past two years went past so quickly surly the next two years would go by fast and you would not even notice it ( hope that helps if you think of it that way lol) think about it in the long run , you would have a decent job ,earn decent money, have a nice house and you will think back and think "you know those two years were so worth it, i was struggling so much but it paid of" but at the end of the day it's is up to you. don't do something you would regret sis. i will keep you in my prayers and hopefully everything would go well :smile:

\
I'd rather not say but it's science based

Bet it's either pharmacology microbiology biomedical science or biochemistry
Wtf has islam got to do with finishing your degree. Forget about what an outdated book tells you and do what you feel is best.
Original post by s_ahmed2
Salaam

If you seriously feel that you can't keep up with it then you should speak to your mum. Tell her slowly how hard it is and the things you want.

First thing you need to do when faced with a problem is to tell Allah, pray tahajjud and make dua to Allah. Tell him your problems and ask for a solution. Just doing that and having full reliance on him will ease your situation greatly.

In terms of practical steps you just have to convince your mum gradually, she'll understand inshaAllah.

You said you prefer to stay at home, so think of your future, what you want for self. Maybe you could study the deen or something.

Ultimately the decision is yours and no one knows your situation properly except Allah. All you have to do is make sincere dua to him.

Don't make any rash decisions too.

Hope it works out.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wasalaam

I would feel I'm letting my mum and family down. It would be embarrassing for her to tell others her daughter dropped out of university.

How do you pray tahajud? I was thinking of praying istikarah soon.

I would love to study Islam more. I get so annoyed when I hear all these amazing islamic events on the weekends but I can't go to them coz I'm working. I wish I could swap my uni degree for an Islamic one but it's too late now

JazakAllah for the advice.
Original post by 79deeas
Damn, would you look at that. Its usually the opposite way round.

Spoiler

Yeah it is but I'm not like other girls
I don't believe it all that

Yeah not funny
Original post by noey123
its only two years. if the past two years went past so quickly surly the next two years would go by fast and you would not even notice it ( hope that helps if you think of it that way lol) think about it in the long run , you would have a decent job ,earn decent money, have a nice house and you will think back and think "you know those two years were so worth it, i was struggling so much but it paid of" but at the end of the day it's is up to you. don't do something you would regret sis. i will keep you in my prayers and hopefully everything would go well :smile:

\

But what's the point if I just flop those two years lol

Realistically am I going to get a house lol I don't think that'll happen

Working is not my priority in life. I have traditional views and believe that my husband should do that (unless he wants me to work and help him)
Sorry if I'm being sexist lol

Thank you, that's kind of you :smile:
Original post by Bezoar
Wtf has islam got to do with finishing your degree. Forget about what an outdated book tells you and do what you feel is best.

I clearly asked for islamic advice, please go spread your hate elsewhere.
I will do what I feel is best according to that outdated book :h:
Reply 16
Yeah it is but I'm not like other girls
I don't believe it all that

Yeah not funny

Awesome.

Na i wasnt being funny, if you go to UoB or the surrounding BCU, Aston or coventry we can make this work.
I clearly asked for islamic advice, please go spread your hate elsewhere.
I will do what I feel is best according to that outdated book :h:

There was no hate, you chose to interpret it that way. That was my genuine advice. Good luck in your endeavours.
Wasalaam

I would feel I'm letting my mum and family down. It would be embarrassing for her to tell others her daughter dropped out of university.

How do you pray tahajud? I was thinking of praying istikarah soon.

I would love to study Islam more. I get so annoyed when I hear all these amazing islamic events on the weekends but I can't go to them coz I'm working. I wish I could swap my uni degree for an Islamic one but it's too late now

JazakAllah for the advice.

Yeah I understand, these things are very important especially in the asian culture(if you are).

However you have to see what is best for yourself, not what others will think. Perhaps there will be a period of embarassment or whatever but you have to think long term, whether you will you regret the decision or not. Theres plenty of time to think it through but your heart will be guided inshaAllah will your duas.

Well you basically wake up in the latter portion of the night, before fajr. So lets say around 4am. Then pray 2 rakaats. After the prayer make dua to Allah for what you want.

If you cant wake up that early then do it before you sleep.

A famous scholar, Imam Shafiee(rh), said that the dua made at tahajjud is like the arrow which never misses its target.

You still can, there are plenty of pt courses available nowadays.

I know ppl who go uni full time and then study the islamic sciences in the evening, mon-fri.

BarakAllahu Feek

Posted from TSR Mobile
I feel you - but i need my degree. Working in retail is so ****ing ****. Graduate and educate yourself - it's never too early to stop learning - a good job will gain you independence. God forbid, if your husband passed away and his or your family won't support you financially... hmm - think of it as doing for a favour for yourself - it will benefit you x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending