The Student Room Group

I seem to get told off when I go to hospital : /

I've only been to A and E once in my life and the time I went the doctor seemed annoyed that I was there. Basically 3 weeks ago I felt very tired/slept for 16 hours I felt very weird/weak. I started to feel better but I noticed that my urine was red so went to the gp who said it was gross haematuria. Tests showed no infection and my gp referred me to urology as an urgent case so I had an appointment in 7 days. Whilst waiting for the appointment my urine turned from red to a dark brown colour, I developed a cold and felt a bit of pain around the area of my kidneys. The colour of my urine just scared me and with the pain in my lower back I was worried as I know how quickly infections can take hold. I had my urology appointment in 3 days but my mum decided to take me to A and E. After waiting hours I was called in, explained my situation and the doctor said 'I just don't understand why you have come here when you are seeing urology/the experts in 3 days'. He said 'it doesn't make sense, they are the experts and if I was to do anything you would only be seen by a junior doctor'. He took a urine sample and palpated round my stomach then said that there was a lot of blood but it doesn't seem like a raging nephritis and that the most logical thing to have done would have been to wait for my appointment. So I considered myself told off lol. Thing is it's the only time I've been in my lifetime it's not like I go running to A and E all the time.

I remember 2 years ago a lump, that has been in my neck for 7 years, started to hurt. It was diagnosed as a possible reactive lymph node back then and I was told to go back if it got bigger in size or changed in anyway. Because it had been sore for weeks I went to my go and he referred me to the head and neck department. I turned up to my appointment where the doctor came in, introduced himself and took a look with the ultrasound machine. I mentioned that I'd had it 7 years and he seemed to roll his eyes and muttered 'and it still hasn't killed you yet has it'. He said ' I don't know why you have decided to get it checked now after having it for 7 years' I said that it had become tender weeks ago and that I was told to get it checked if it ever changed, the nurse in the room agreed and said 'yes it's better to get it checked'. He said 'it looks like a lymph node, it feels like one so its just a lymph node'.

Lol I feel daft for going to hospitals now but is it me that gets too nervous about things or what? I read all this NHS advice that is advertised and it seems to encourage you to get things checked out if in doubt.
The doctors you saw sound like nasty pieces of work. You were right to go in early and get it checked out, it's better to be on the safe side :smile:
Dunno about you - but hospitals aren't nice places
Reply 3
Original post by Leviathan1741
The doctors you saw sound like nasty pieces of work. You were right to go in early and get it checked out, it's better to be on the safe side :smile:

Well I know staff are overworked and get all sorts of daft and self inflicted ailments but I look after myself don't smoke/drink or anything and that's the first time I've been to A and E. I'm not saying he was wrong in that it wasn't an emergency (it will make me think more next time) but I would have thought that A and E got dafter ailments than mine like drunkeness every week etc. Then again if someone's unconscious from drink they can't really tell them off lol.
TBF, it makes no sense as to why in the second one you left it so long. I've found lumps and whilst we have waited to see what happens, we didn't wait that long. (although, by that time, I was unable to walk; so had to see someone)

And in the first one, it doesn't exactly sound like an emergency to me. And you did have someone to see in a few days time.
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
I've only been to A and E once in my life and the time I went the doctor seemed annoyed that I was there. Basically 3 weeks ago I felt very tired/slept for 16 hours I felt very weird/weak. I started to feel better but I noticed that my urine was red so went to the gp who said it was gross haematuria. Tests showed no infection and my gp referred me to urology as an urgent case so I had an appointment in 7 days. Whilst waiting for the appointment my urine turned from red to a dark brown colour, I developed a cold and felt a bit of pain around the area of my kidneys. The colour of my urine just scared me and with the pain in my lower back I was worried as I know how quickly infections can take hold. I had my urology appointment in 3 days but my mum decided to take me to A and E. After waiting hours I was called in, explained my situation and the doctor said 'I just don't understand why you have come here when you are seeing urology/the experts in 3 days'. He said 'it doesn't make sense, they are the experts and if I was to do anything you would only be seen by a junior doctor'. He took a urine sample and palpated round my stomach then said that there was a lot of blood but it doesn't seem like a raging nephritis and that the most logical thing to have done would have been to wait for my appointment. So I considered myself told off lol. Thing is it's the only time I've been in my lifetime it's not like I go running to A and E all the time.

I remember 2 years ago a lump, that has been in my neck for 7 years, started to hurt. It was diagnosed as a possible reactive lymph node back then and I was told to go back if it got bigger in size or changed in anyway. Because it had been sore for weeks I went to my go and he referred me to the head and neck department. I turned up to my appointment where the doctor came in, introduced himself and took a look with the ultrasound machine. I mentioned that I'd had it 7 years and he seemed to roll his eyes and muttered 'and it still hasn't killed you yet has it'. He said ' I don't know why you have decided to get it checked now after having it for 7 years' I said that it had become tender weeks ago and that I was told to get it checked if it ever changed, the nurse in the room agreed and said 'yes it's better to get it checked'. He said 'it looks like a lymph node, it feels like one so its just a lymph node'.

Lol I feel daft for going to hospitals now but is it me that gets too nervous about things or what? I read all this NHS advice that is advertised and it seems to encourage you to get things checked out if in doubt.

To be honest you probably didn't NEED to go to A&E, but I think some doctors forget that we don't have the knowledge they do. To them it is obvious and something they deal with all the time but to most other people it's rather scary. If my pee is red and i'm in pain i'm going to get worried. I may know i'm having an appointment in a few days but I don't know if i'll get really bad in the meantime. I don't always know the difference between a pain that can wait 3 days and a pain that requires urgent treatment.
I tend to use 111 now because they can tell you where to go and then if I turn up at a&e and get scolded I can just say I was told to.

I normally get scolding tones when I go to the dr cos I tend to feel very unwell with simple things. I get that they're often overworked and stressed, but it annoys me when they take it out on a worried patient. On the flip side, i've had some lovely doctors and nurses who have had a chat with me and really settled my nerves though so it depends who you get.

What I find most annoying is when they say "come back if it changes or gets worse" then get all suppried when you come back. If you don't explain what type of change you mean how am I meant to know?

I tend to get medical staff changing their tone quickly when they realise I have anxiety. They'll do the tough love scare you into learning act then turn all caring and sweet when I start shaking or tell them about my medical history. Dentist did it when I ended up almost leaving cos I was scared of the needle. Now he's so nice to me. One of the upsides to anxiety :P
Reply 6
Original post by Tiger Rag
TBF, it makes no sense as to why in the second one you left it so long. I've found lumps and whilst we have waited to see what happens, we didn't wait that long. (although, by that time, I was unable to walk; so had to see someone)

And in the first one, it doesn't exactly sound like an emergency to me. And you did have someone to see in a few days time.

I didnt really wait for anything i got the lump checked out years ago when i first noticed it and i was told to go back it it ever changed. Years later it changed (was tender/larger fir weeks) so i went back to the gp who referred me.

Yea the A and E I probably should have waited but i guess i got scared. In future I'l try not to worry about stuff as much
Reply 7
Original post by Kindred
To be honest you probably didn't NEED to go to A&E, but I think some doctors forget that we don't have the knowledge they do. To them it is obvious and something they deal with all the time but to most other people it's rather scary. If my pee is red and i'm in pain i'm going to get worried. I may know i'm having an appointment in a few days but I don't know if i'll get really bad in the meantime. I don't always know the difference between a pain that can wait 3 days and a pain that requires urgent treatment.
I tend to use 111 now because they can tell you where to go and then if I turn up at a&e and get scolded I can just say I was told to.

I normally get scolding tones when I go to the dr cos I tend to feel very unwell with simple things. I get that they're often overworked and stressed, but it annoys me when they take it out on a worried patient. On the flip side, i've had some lovely doctors and nurses who have had a chat with me and really settled my nerves though so it depends who you get.

What I find most annoying is when they say "come back if it changes or gets worse" then get all suppried when you come back. If you don't explain what type of change you mean how am I meant to know?

I tend to get medical staff changing their tone quickly when they realise I have anxiety. They'll do the tough love scare you into learning act then turn all caring and sweet when I start shaking or tell them about my medical history. Dentist did it when I ended up almost leaving cos I was scared of the needle. Now he's so nice to me. One of the upsides to anxiety :P

Thats exactly what I thought there are some scary symptoms out there and we cant identify how serious they are like doctors can. Yea same Ive had anxiety too in the past. Ive fainted a few times and used to keep worrying about fainting again whilst out and about.
Reply 8
Thats exactly what I thought there are some scary symptoms out there and we cant identify how serious they are like doctors can. Yea same Ive had anxiety too in the past. Ive fainted a few times and used to keep worrying about fainting again whilst out and about.

I tend to get more ill than most people to the extent I can be off uni for months due to a basic chest infection so I tend to worry about my health a lot. Doctor recently told me "if you look for things you will find them" I assume implying that I am a hypochondriach. Frankly, I feel ill because I am ill. Maybe you should do some more looking and find why.
I get rather annoyed with doctors cos I have had a problem for years and nobody seems all that interested in finding out why. I've had to quit uni cos I can't stay awake long enough to go to lectures and can't even cook myself dinner most days and I just get told things like that. I know doctors can be useful and nice and all that and I know some who are, but I get frustrated with them easily now.

My gp basically told me to stop moaning while other doctors have been testing me for kidney infections and glandular fever and doing ECGs etc. He seems to think that because i'm ill all the time I can never be more ill other times. Like "no you can't be having a heart attack- you have asthma".

It annoys me too that they never really give you much advice or details about things so my best source of info is google or webmd which practically tells me i have cancer every time I stubb my toe! Of course i'm freaking out.
Most of the time if i think something is wrong i'm right though. Just cos you're paranoid doesn't mean you're wrong.

I honestly think that the not giving info and being all judgemental just makes everything worse. I know people who have had potentially serious symptoms and haven't wanted to go to the doctor because they think they'll get a bad reaction so end up waiting until they are in agony or in a serious condition (one friend almost had their throat close up). I think people probably end up making more appointments too just cos they're confused from a previous one. I had a doctor once refuse to listen to all of my symptoms because they were "different things and needed seperate appointments" turns out they were all part of the same condition, but she didn't know that cos she ignored me.

Anyway, as I say i'm ill a lot so I tend to get more bad experiences than most and it's not all bad. I'm just ranting a bit. I think most of the problem can probably be traced to how little time they have. I think i'd start making mistakes if I were that busy. Not entirely the idividuals fault. Still annoying thouh. Just gets to me that they expect me to know what's relevant when they've studied for years to know it.
Reply 9
Original post by Kindred
I tend to get more ill than most people to the extent I can be off uni for months due to a basic chest infection so I tend to worry about my health a lot. Doctor recently told me "if you look for things you will find them" I assume implying that I am a hypochondriach. Frankly, I feel ill because I am ill. Maybe you should do some more looking and find why.
I get rather annoyed with doctors cos I have had a problem for years and nobody seems all that interested in finding out why. I've had to quit uni cos I can't stay awake long enough to go to lectures and can't even cook myself dinner most days and I just get told things like that. I know doctors can be useful and nice and all that and I know some who are, but I get frustrated with them easily now.

My gp basically told me to stop moaning while other doctors have been testing me for kidney infections and glandular fever and doing ECGs etc. He seems to think that because i'm ill all the time I can never be more ill other times. Like "no you can't be having a heart attack- you have asthma".

It annoys me too that they never really give you much advice or details about things so my best source of info is google or webmd which practically tells me i have cancer every time I stubb my toe! Of course i'm freaking out.
Most of the time if i think something is wrong i'm right though. Just cos you're paranoid doesn't mean you're wrong.

I honestly think that the not giving info and being all judgemental just makes everything worse. I know people who have had potentially serious symptoms and haven't wanted to go to the doctor because they think they'll get a bad reaction so end up waiting until they are in agony or in a serious condition (one friend almost had their throat close up). I think people probably end up making more appointments too just cos they're confused from a previous one. I had a doctor once refuse to listen to all of my symptoms because they were "different things and needed seperate appointments" turns out they were all part of the same condition, but she didn't know that cos she ignored me.

Anyway, as I say i'm ill a lot so I tend to get more bad experiences than most and it's not all bad. I'm just ranting a bit. I think most of the problem can probably be traced to how little time they have. I think i'd start making mistakes if I were that busy. Not entirely the idividuals fault. Still annoying thouh. Just gets to me that they expect me to know what's relevant when they've studied for years to know it.

Everyone's body works in different ways and I yea just because you are paranoid doesn't mean there is nothing wrong. I think there are different ways to look at things though and the medical model isn't the only way to explain health it's how we look at ourselves too. For example some people feel very in control of their health (despite having health conditions) as in they feel that their health is all down to their actions and this can contribute to their happiness and lower stress levels. Other people will feel that their health is not in their control at all, that their symptoms control them and that there is nothing they can do which can cause depression, high anxiety and make symptoms worse.

Then there is how much you focus on problems, sometimes we zoom in that much to problems that the problem is all we see, we just see ourselves as sickly and can't see the big picture even if we think we can. For example when I was a young teenager I developed a bald patch on my head. The gp said it was alopecia and that the future was unpredictable it could either grow back and I never get it again or I could lose all my hair. I went away and looked it up and found that it was due to the immune systems attacking the hair follicles but I also found that a lot of people with alopecia get thyroid problems. For months afterwards I was that focused on the bald patch that I thought it getting bigger, was convinced that I'd lose all my hair and I started to look up the different types of wigs lol, I wanted one that wouldn't fall off when I did sport as sport is important to me. I also put all my symptoms of feeling tired down to hypothyroidism even though I had no proof that there was anything wrong with my thyroid. I saw myself as faulty due to this problem and it affected the way I saw myself. It's like I was focusing on it that much that I saw myself as sickly with some immune system disease even though I was able to play sport and live a normal life. Yet there are lots of people who do lose their hair and have other serious diseases yet don't see themselves as sickly at all. I've learnt not to label myself with a disorder as at the end of the day medicine doesn't know everything and at the end of the day we are just made of a load of cells doing their thing everyday just because we have symptoms doesn't mean we have a condition/disease.

I think in your case yea it will be annoying if you can't stay awake in lectures and the doctors say you are thinking Into it too much. I had a phase of feeling very tired at work in the afternoon I could hardly keep my eyes open despite getting enough sleep, but I started to feel better after months. Obviously I don't know anything about your health status but If I were you I'd probably try sticking to a regular bedtime routine, good diet .. all the healty lifestyle stuff and if it persisted after months I'd go back.
Everyone's body works in different ways and I yea just because you are paranoid doesn't mean there is nothing wrong. I think there are different ways to look at things though and the medical model isn't the only way to explain health it's how we look at ourselves too. For example some people feel very in control of their health (despite having health conditions) as in they feel that their health is all down to their actions and this can contribute to their happiness and lower stress levels. Other people will feel that their health is not in their control at all, that their symptoms control them and that there is nothing they can do which can cause depression, high anxiety and make symptoms worse.

Then there is how much you focus on problems, sometimes we zoom in that much to problems that the problem is all we see, we just see ourselves as sickly and can't see the big picture even if we think we can. For example when I was a young teenager I developed a bald patch on my head. The gp said it was alopecia and that the future was unpredictable it could either grow back and I never get it again or I could lose all my hair. I went away and looked it up and found that it was due to the immune systems attacking the hair follicles but I also found that a lot of people with alopecia get thyroid problems. For months afterwards I was that focused on the bald patch that I thought it getting bigger, was convinced that I'd lose all my hair and I started to look up the different types of wigs lol, I wanted one that wouldn't fall off when I did sport as sport is important to me. I also put all my symptoms of feeling tired down to hypothyroidism even though I had no proof that there was anything wrong with my thyroid. I saw myself as faulty due to this problem and it affected the way I saw myself. It's like I was focusing on it that much that I saw myself as sickly with some immune system disease even though I was able to play sport and live a normal life. Yet there are lots of people who do lose their hair and have other serious diseases yet don't see themselves as sickly at all. I've learnt not to label myself with a disorder as at the end of the day medicine doesn't know everything and at the end of the day we are just made of a load of cells doing their thing everyday just because we have symptoms doesn't mean we have a condition/disease.

I think in your case yea it will be annoying if you can't stay awake in lectures and the doctors say you are thinking Into it too much. I had a phase of feeling very tired at work in the afternoon I could hardly keep my eyes open despite getting enough sleep, but I started to feel better after months. Obviously I don't know anything about your health status but If I were you I'd probably try sticking to a regular bedtime routine, good diet .. all the healty lifestyle stuff and if it persisted after months I'd go back.

I know what you mean with looking things up and jumping to conclusions. I've had issues for so long and we know it is bigger than just diet or sleep, but it's taking ages to find out what it actually is. I'm so frustrated with not knowing that I get so excited about any possibility that would finally give me answers. I guess that's one of the reasons I get quite so annoyed with doctors. I really want to know what's wrong and its frustrating to have to go through all of this. That and I have more interactions with doctors than most people probably do so I'm bound to get more bad experiences.

Thanks for the sympathy and advice, unfortionately for me it's more than some simple lifestyle changes will fix. I've been ill and having tests for years now (even had surgery recently) and can hardly leave the house anymore because i'm so exhasted. Right now I have no idea what's wrong so I have no hope to try to fix it. Anytime I try I end up worse than when I started.
It got to a point that it triggerred a MH episode and that has improved so I guess I have had some success. I certinally could be a lot worse off.

Don't get me wrong btw, i've had good experiences with doctors and medical staff too. I can also understand the human element behind most of the mishaps. It gets frustrating having to deal with all this so much with no answers and you end up needing a good rant now and then to keep your sanitty. I think i'm somewhat of a rarity given my age and how many issues I have with my health so my experience are probably a bit abnormal too.
He doesn't sound like a very good doctor if he can't treat patients with respect, the first time I ever went to a and e wasn't even a big deal, I'd fainted and got a concussion but it was at school so they had to take me in for whatever reason? And the doctor was super nice
This illustrates the arrogance shown by some in the medical profession. It was the doctors job to do his job and not to tell you off. You felt that it was sufficiently worrying/urgent as to warrant at least an assessment. Better safe than sorry. I would have told him off and possibly filed a complaint. Cheeky fooker..

Quick Reply

Latest