The Student Room Group

Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde (GCSE) (year 10)

At the moment I am studying Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde during school and we have to find the meaning/message of a specific piece of text, although my teacher has went through this I do not like the method she has used and was wondering if anyone else knew different methods or link me to a website/youtube videos about it
Reply 1
Original post by serena32
At the moment I am studying Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde during school and we have to find the meaning/message of a specific piece of text, although my teacher has went through this I do not like the method she has used and was wondering if anyone else knew different methods or link me to a website/youtube videos about it

You should try using BBC Bitesize GCSE it has chapter summaries, quotes and character analysis, its very useful just select English Lit and find Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde

Sparknotes.com
^check it out
Reply 3

https://www.amazon.co.uk/GCSE-English-Text-Guide-Jekyll/dp/1782943080/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1475940635&sr=8-5&keywords=revision+books+gcse+english

This book has summaries of each chapter and explodes quotes for you. I use it alt and have found it has helped me so much
Reply 4

Hi,

Rather than looking at websites, try and improve your own method of inference, as in the exam, you won't have a website to help you.

1) Firstly, pick out a quotation - it has to be concise and not use full sentences, remember to use quotation marks.
2) Then zoom in on important words, and pick out specific techniques that the writer has used - for example, personification, metaphor, repetition, assonance etc. When talking about a word, tell what kind of word it is, for example, noun, verb , adverb, pronoun.
3) Next try and find any hidden meanings that the writer has tried to convey to the reader.
4) Afterwards, zoom out and explore how the atmosphere and different themes have been altered.
5) Next talk about the affect on the reader.
6) Finally, support your arguments an ideas with contextual facts. When doing Jekyll and Hyde, you can talk about the expectations of the upper class, the stringent limitations of living in a predominantly Catholic society, seven deadly sins, the place where Stevenson was bought up (Edinburgh), views of Darwin's theory, Mary Shelley's Frankenstein and so much more.

I hope this helped:smile:
A

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending