The Student Room Group

I'm more than just a number - Story of a french med student who failed and raised up

Scroll to see replies

Hiiii :heart:

Bonus tonight ! A little extra, not really intersting I think, so I wont tag anyone.
It's about my mum. I feel like I want to write about this story, (actually I said something about it on an other thread and it made me think about it, whatever)
So tonight, I'm writing for my mum. To show all the world how much I'm grateful for what she did for me.

Mum, this is for you.

Dear mum,

You always had this dream of helping others, it's amazing, so amazing I have no words. You wanted to be a doctor and you never told me. You lied to me about all of it. Almost during my whole life.
Why did you do that ?
You did it to make me build my own dream. Here's what you did mum.
At 22 you were eligible for the best med school of whole France. You were happy, on the road to your dream.
You get pregnant.

You dropped out one month later, you planned to come back after the birth. You gave birth to a lovely unicorn at your med school's hospital. But lovely unicorn had health's problems at the moment, she almost died. You cried, and you decided that she would become your only dream.
You never came back to your school, just to raise her.

You never became a doctor, but you became a wonderful and important woman anyway.Little unicorn grew up. Little unicorn discovered how much hospital was fascinating at 12.

You never told little unicorn about you being at med school when you were younger. You let little unicorn found her own path.Little unicorn turned 18.

Little unicorn applied to the best med school of whole France. You didn't say anything. To make sure it was her own decision. You let her do.
Little unicorn was eligible.

What did you do mum ?

You called little unicorn in your room. You opened your wardrobe. You shown your blouse, with your name printed on it, just under "hôpitaux de Paris" (Paris hospitals). You told all the story to little unicorn. Little unicorn was shocked. She didn't know.
She felt guilty. She thought her mum was not a doctor because of her. Little unicorn was confused. But her mum told her not to worry.
Her mum told her that she was happy her little unicorn was alive. Little unicorn was thankful for having such a wonderful mum. Little unicorn kept the blouse.

Little unicorn failed.

Little unicorn cried. Little unicorn told her mum "I wanna be a doctor".
Her mum asked "why ?"
Little unicorn said "to help people"
Her mum told "good answer. You'll be who you want to be"

Little unicorn dropped out uni. Little unicorn applied abroad. Her mum was sad to let her go. But she never been so happy of her whole life.

Dear mum, all your life, you wanted me to follow my own dream.
Mum, I'll do it. I promise.

Dear mum, I love you.

Your little unicorn.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by FrenchUnicorn
x

By the way, it's "You didn't say anything" not "You didn't say nothing."
Awwwwwe Unicorn!!! I love this post so much! It's really lovely you decided to do it about your mum and this was so inspirational! I'll always remember this heartwarming post. I'm glad you found out about your mum's past at med school and are eager to follow your own dream. It's so emotional too! :hugs:
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Matrix123
By the way, it's "You didn't say anything" not "You didn't say nothing."
Awwwwwe Unicorn!!! I love this post so much! It's really lovely you decided to do it about your mum and this was so inspirational! I'll always remember this heartwarming post. I'm glad you found out about your mum's past at med school and are eager to follow your own dream. It's so emotional too! :hugs:
Posted from TSR Mobile

Aw thanks for letting me know I just corrected it :h: !

Thanks for your kind words :yep: :love: and thanks again for reading, I really appreciate it :heart:
Aw thanks for letting me know I just corrected it :h: !

Thanks for your kind words :yep: :love: and thanks again for reading, I really appreciate it :heart:

You're welcome :wink:

Aww it was my pleasure :yep:
:love:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Your so inspirational and honestly I've loved reading your blog, just hit the subscribe button. Medicine isn't easy and it's a job that is required around the world and to do it, you need a kind hearted personality which I'm sure you have. It's really interesting to know the French educational system because in the UK it's so different.
Original post by Rhythmical
Your so inspirational and honestly I've loved reading your blog, just hit the subscribe button. Medicine isn't easy and it's a job that is required around the world and to do it, you need a kind hearted personality which I'm sure you have. It's really interesting to know the French educational system because in the UK it's so different.

Thanks so much for reading !! :jumphug:
"you need a kind hearted personality which I'm sure you have" wow. Tbh I have no word .. The only thing I can say is thank you, from the bottom of my heart !! It means a lot for me :h: :heart:

According to your blog, you seem to be a really inspirational person as well my dear :heart:
Thanks so much for reading !! :jumphug:
"you need a kind hearted personality which I'm sure you have" wow. Tbh I have no word .. The only thing I can say is thank you, from the bottom of my heart !! It means a lot for me :h: :heart:

According to your blog, you seem to be a really inspirational person as well my dear :heart:

Thank you and no problem at all. I've had a read of the French medical schools compared to the UK ones, I think I'd be awful because my French is very basic. I've tried to learn it but never have the time. How do you keep on top of everything?
Aww Frenchie - this chapter in your blog seems rather emotional, and really inspirational! Its so lovely how you chose to do medicine without knowing about that your mum also went to med school, and that you dedicated this post to her. A very interesting and thought provoking read! :hugs:
Thank you and no problem at all. I've had a read of the French medical schools compared to the UK ones, I think I'd be awful because my French is very basic. I've tried to learn it but never have the time. How do you keep on top of everything?

How do I keep on top.. To be honest , I don't know ! I noticed that the world wont be waiting for me so .. I better run :h:
Original post by Amellia123
Aww Frenchie - this chapter in your blog seems rather emotional, and really inspirational! Its so lovely how you chose to do medicine without knowing about that your mum also went to med school, and that you dedicated this post to her. A very interesting and thought provoking read! :hugs:

Thanks Amellia :love: I'm glad you like it :hugs:
Thanks again, for cheering me up as well :h: it means a lot :heart:

Spoiler

How do I keep on top.. To be honest , I don't know ! I noticed that the world wont be waiting for me so .. I better run :h:

Thanks Amellia :love: I'm glad you like it :hugs:
Thanks again, for cheering me up as well :h: it means a lot :heart:

Spoiler

Of course! :hugs: I always love reading your blog - its so interesting!
Aww that's no problem at all :smile: Haha you always cheer me up too! :love: I love our chats!

Spoiler

Aw your sweet. Would you ever consider working in the UK? Have you ever visited any parts of it?
Of course! :hugs: I always love reading your blog - its so interesting!
Aww that's no problem at all :smile: Haha you always cheer me up too! :love: I love our chats!

Spoiler

I consider you as a real friend you know :yep: :hugs: :heart:

Spoiler

Aw your sweet. Would you ever consider working in the UK? Have you ever visited any parts of it?

Working in UK ? Why not, actually I applied for some med schools there but was not eligible as I already failed in France (too bad considering that they found my profile intersting) but it's okay UK was not my first choice ^.^
I wanna go to Prague to study, I'll do 6 years there, then I could continue wherever I want in the world, I'm thinking about USA, but I have time to decide anyway :biggrin:
And I never been to UK before lol ! I'll come for the first time in July :lol:

Spoiler

Awww :hugs: that means a lot!! I would say also that you are my friend :smile: its just a shame I don't live near London otherwise I would come and see you when you come to the UK!! :heart:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Working in UK ? Why not, actually I applied for some med schools there but was not eligible as I already failed in France (too bad considering that they found my profile intersting) but it's okay UK was not my first choice ^.^
I wanna go to Prague to study, I'll do 6 years there, then I could continue wherever I want in the world, I'm thinking about USA, but I have time to decide anyway :biggrin:
And I never been to UK before lol ! I'll come for the first time in July :lol:

Aw. I'd love to go to France but I don't know which part of France. Prague seems really cool, never been but I'd love to one day. The problem with the UK is that the pictures never do the place justice, some places are horrible and quite run down but some places are stunning. I considered studying in the USA but I don't know anymore, not really my goal.
Awww :hugs: that means a lot!! I would say also that you are my friend :smile: its just a shame I don't live near London otherwise I would come and see you when you come to the UK!! :heart:

Spoiler

Indeed it's too bad :cry2: :cry2:
But we'll met each other one day, I promise !! If you feel like you wanna take a little break at uni, come to see me to Prague for a week end :excited:

Spoiler

Aw. I'd love to go to France but I don't know which part of France. Prague seems really cool, never been but I'd love to one day. The problem with the UK is that the pictures never do the place justice, some places are horrible and quite run down but some places are stunning. I considered studying in the USA but I don't know anymore, not really my goal.

If you can come to Paris, go ahead, because the city is truly amazing *O*
Aw really ? I didn't know about that :lol: I suppose every place has "up and down" :biggrin:

I see ^-^ you have still time left to think about it, I wish you the best with all of it !! :hugs:
Indeed it's too bad :cry2: :cry2:
But we'll met each other one day, I promise !! If you feel like you wanna take a little break at uni, come to see me to Prague for a week end :excited:

Spoiler

Oww I know :cry:
Oh course we will!! I shall come and visit you some day! :hugs: I'd love to go to Prague - it looks really nice!! :excited:

Spoiler

Oww I know :cry:
Oh course we will!! I shall come and visit you some day! :hugs: I'd love to go to Prague - it looks really nice!! :excited:

Spoiler

:cry2:
OUIIIIIII :excited: :excited:

We'll meet my friend :console:

Spoiler

If you can come to Paris, go ahead, because the city is truly amazing *O*
Aw really ? I didn't know about that :lol: I suppose every place has "up and down" :biggrin:

I see ^-^ you have still time left to think about it, I wish you the best with all of it !! :hugs:

You too ^-^. I'm thinking of Paris next year or maybe Lyon? Or even Calais.
You too ^-^. I'm thinking of Paris next year or maybe Lyon? Or even Calais.

You know what ? I never been to Calais :lol: and I went to Lyon but just an hour lol !
Anyway, France is such a beautiful country, whatever you choose I'm convinced you'll love it :3

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending