The Student Room Group

Edinburgh Medical school

Hi everyone! I was just wanting to know how academically well you have to do to get into Edinburgh. Because I know a lot of people who got 5 A's and had good non-academic requirements but got rejected. So how good does your academics have to be? Do they prefer people with more than 5 A's? Thank you for your help!
Reply 1
Hi:smile: when you say 5As is that GCSE or..?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by eva_1998

Hi! Sorry, I forgot to mention, I meant 5A's for Scottish Highers :smile:
Reply 3
[QUOTE="Blossom8;63722345"]

Hi! Sorry, I forgot to mention, I meant 5A's for Scottish Highers :smile:

Aww ok, sorry I don't think I'll be much help to you as I'm an A level student! Best of luck with the admissions process though!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
[QUOTE="eva_1998;63726077"]
Original post by Blossom8

Aww ok, sorry I don't think I'll be much help to you as I'm an A level student! Best of luck with the admissions process though!

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's fine! :smile: Thank you for your support and help!
But sorry, one last question, have you by any chance been through the interviewing process? As I am trying to build up on some skills to help prepare for such cases. Thanks for your help!
Reply 5
[QUOTE="Blossom8;63728591"]

That's fine! :smile: Thank you for your support and help!
But sorry, one last question, have you by any chance been through the interviewing process? As I am trying to build up on some skills to help prepare for such cases. Thanks for your help!

Yeah, I'm a current a level student so I had 3 interviews this year (Edinburgh actually don't interview undergrads but my other 3 choices invited me for interview). How you prepare really depends on the type of interview, you can buy books for both traditional and MMI which are quite helpful, they take you through common questions or scenarios that might crop up and give you areas to research yourself. I used one called 'How to Ace Your Medical School Interview' but ISC Medical also do an interview book which is apparently amazing. If you get those and review thoroughly you should be well prepared☺️ is there anything more specific you were wondering about; dress code, calming nerves etc? If so I'd be happy to go through it in detail☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
I know someone who got into edinburgh for medicine with AAAAB highers, because they look at your application as a whole. So the UKCAT is one of the factors so make sure you do well in that, and as for personal statement, it's quite subjective but generally speaking reflect on your work experience and extra curricular activities (quality over quantity)
Hi everyone! I was just wanting to know how academically well you have to do to get into Edinburgh. Because I know a lot of people who got 5 A's and had good non-academic requirements but got rejected. So how good does your academics have to be? Do they prefer people with more than 5 A's? Thank you for your help!

The minimum requirement is AAAAB. People with AAAAA will be preferred and they will also look at your National 5 achieved grades (best 5) and S6 predicted grades (best 3 with at least 2 AHs and 1 additional higher). The more As you get the more competitive your application will be.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
[QUOTE="eva_1998;63743367"]

Yeah, I'm a current a level student so I had 3 interviews this year (Edinburgh actually don't interview undergrads but my other 3 choices invited me for interview). How you prepare really depends on the type of interview, you can buy books for both traditional and MMI which are quite helpful, they take you through common questions or scenarios that might crop up and give you areas to research yourself. I used one called 'How to Ace Your Medical School Interview' but ISC Medical also do an interview book which is apparently amazing. If you get those and review thoroughly you should be well prepared☺️ is there anything more specific you were wondering about; dress code, calming nerves etc? If so I'd be happy to go through it in detail☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you so much for the helpful information! I will definitely take that into account! :smile: Yea, if that's ok, I was also unsure about dress code too and what is preferred? Also I was wondering if participating in a sports clubs in school is also an important factor as I haven't really attended much as I am not a very sporty person.
As applications aren't handed in until October, I still have time but I thought it would just be good to clear some things in my mind for preparation and try to build up as many things so I can mention in either my personal statement or interview (hopefully!).
Thanks again for all your help! :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by idklol
I know someone who got into edinburgh for medicine with AAAAB highers, because they look at your application as a whole. So the UKCAT is one of the factors so make sure you do well in that, and as for personal statement, it's quite subjective but generally speaking reflect on your work experience and extra curricular activities (quality over quantity)

Oh right ok! Thank you! :smile:
[QUOTE="Blossom8;63752115"]

Thank you so much for the helpful information! I will definitely take that into account! :smile: Yea, if that's ok, I was also unsure about dress code too and what is preferred? Also I was wondering if participating in a sports clubs in school is also an important factor as I haven't really attended much as I am not a very sporty person.
As applications aren't handed in until October, I still have time but I thought it would just be good to clear some things in my mind for preparation and try to build up as many things so I can mention in either my personal statement or interview (hopefully!).
Thanks again for all your help! :smile:

Well I wore a grey knee length pencil skirt and a white and grey striped blouse, black tights and black heels but in all honesty I think the shoes were a bad idea; when you go for interview you'll be travelling and in and out of waiting rooms and possibly moving between stations all day, so wear something comfortable. A light coloured blouse and dark skirt or tailored trousers with smart flats e.g. loafers is always a safe bet. I wore minimal makeup, no jewellery or nail polish and had my hair tied back- in all honesty, as long as you're fairly smart they won't really consider your clothes all that much☺️
As for sports clubs, I had absolutely no athletic achievements except for duke of ed, and I was just as worried as you about that being a gap in my application, but I'm sitting on offers so evidently it doesn't matter☺️ as long as you have a life outside school e.g. drama, musical instruments, art, volunteering, that allows you to improve yourself then that should be absolutely fine. It's not so much the number of different things you're involved in as the quality, if you can show that you're really committed to one or two extracurriculars then that's brilliant.
Again, any questions or need any advice just shout😁

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
[QUOTE="eva_1998;63753739"]

Well I wore a grey knee length pencil skirt and a white and grey striped blouse, black tights and black heels but in all honesty I think the shoes were a bad idea; when you go for interview you'll be travelling and in and out of waiting rooms and possibly moving between stations all day, so wear something comfortable. A light coloured blouse and dark skirt or tailored trousers with smart flats e.g. loafers is always a safe bet. I wore minimal makeup, no jewellery or nail polish and had my hair tied back- in all honesty, as long as you're fairly smart they won't really consider your clothes all that much☺️
As for sports clubs, I had absolutely no athletic achievements except for duke of ed, and I was just as worried as you about that being a gap in my application, but I'm sitting on offers so evidently it doesn't matter☺️ as long as you have a life outside school e.g. drama, musical instruments, art, volunteering, that allows you to improve yourself then that should be absolutely fine. It's not so much the number of different things you're involved in as the quality, if you can show that you're really committed to one or two extracurriculars then that's brilliant.
Again, any questions or need any advice just shout😁

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for all your help! That's great! I'll definitely take that into consideration! :smile:
Also, I'm glad to hear that! :biggrin: As I have took part in Duke Of Edinburgh too but not many other sports, though I have been involved in other clubs:smile: Thanks for the help again! If I have any further questions I will let you know, thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending