The Student Room Group

It's just not fair!

Apprantly A level reforms means GCSE is now MUCH more important to unis but isn't it unfair,i mean some of our gcse options were forced upon us and others we picked as young immature people.Atleast with A levels you pick when your mature and have passion for the subject.But yh now top universities will judge based on GCSE's,and its so unfair tbh

I've been told that GCSE matters much more due to AS being removed(more or less) and that is what univeristies will judge you by :frown:
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Unfairness is an important life lesson.
lool i agree, the reforms arent fair. Not all a levels are linear now, e.g. maths and further maths.

Hopefully they look at predicted grades more too
Reply 3
Some sixth forms will allow you to sit AS exams. It's not all that bad.
AS exams are still very much a thing :erm:
AS exists, just as a stand alone qualification.
Schools don't want to do it because they have little value now.
And as far as I know, GCSEs still aren't that important, even with the new GCSEs- A-Levels will, in most cases, still be the distinguishing factor in Universities.
Boo hooo if its that importnat then why arent all the Unis asking for only GCSE's.
Can anyone confirm that GCSE's are now more importnat than A levels? Not convinced.
Original post by 999tigger
Boo hooo if its that importnat then why arent all the Unis asking for only GCSE's.
Can anyone confirm that GCSE's are now more importnat than A levels?

No-one can confirm it because they're not. They're only harder :lol:
Original post by hxfsxh
No-one can confirm it because they're not. They're only harder :lol:

well the OP seems convinced and he's mature.
If they have taken AS out then by default GCSE becomes slightly more relevant, but I think the person who told the OP must have stopped tkaing their medication.

I fin this idea of its just not fair awesome. It should be the opening line of the personal statement.
Oh well...
Let's crack on and try make better a bad situation eh?
Even if this were the case (i.e. no AS levels), everyone would be in the same boat as you and you would be assessed relatively
Life's not fair, better get used to it young one.
Even if you get rejected by universities because your GCSE results don't reflect your true potential, you can always just take a gap year and apply to university once you have your A level results. That way you have an advantage on all the sixth form applicants and they can say that's unfair.

There's always a way.
Original post by AGBF
Apprantly A level reforms means GCSE is now MUCH more important to unis but isn't it unfair,i mean some of our gcse options were forced upon us and others we picked as young immature people.Atleast with A levels you pick when your mature and have passion for the subject.But yh now top universities will judge based on GCSE's,and its so unfair tbh

I've been told that GCSE matters much more due to AS being removed(more or less) and that is what univeristies will judge you by :frown:

Thank god for that, I really flopped my A-levels but have amazing GCSEs... I'm nearly finished with uni now tho lol I don't think it's gonna make a difference for me
Original post by JavaScriptMaster
Thank god for that, I really flopped my A-levels but have amazing GCSEs... I'm nearly finished with uni now tho lol I don't think it's gonna make a difference for me

Honestly I think people interviewing will look at your degree class and thats it.
Reply 15
Original post by jokesonyou
lool i agree, the reforms arent fair. Not all a levels are linear now, e.g. maths and further maths.

Hopefully they look at predicted grades more too

Then try to get the best GCSE grades you can with your ability; get good mock grades for your AS subject; write an awesome PS; get an awesome reference.
Original post by JavaScriptMaster

what is your degree grade average Java?
Agreed, it absolutely sucks, especially for those whose sixth forms aren't doing AS exams.

I'm lucky in that mine is. :smile:

The reason that it's so unfair is that these students didn't know how important their GCSEs would be when they took them.
Reply 18
As a guy who got 3as 3bs 4cs and an E, I was panicking until I realized this is for people younger than me
Original post by Abstract_Prism
Agreed, it absolutely sucks, especially for those whose sixth forms aren't doing AS exams.

I'm lucky in that mine is. :smile:

The reason that it's so unfair is that these students didn't know how important their GCSEs would be when they took them.

But they will be compared against other students who didnt have that lifechanging knowledge.

Latest

Trending

Trending