The Student Room Group

Aqa a level french 2016

Hi guys
Right now i'm a private candidate doing both AS and A2 exams this May and June. I'm studying on my own (and I don't know why I thought it was a good idea :s-smilie:) so i'm obviously finding it hard. The centre at which I will be doing my exams are not giving me any sort of support with the speaking or even writing :frown: so i'm pretty much left on my own as I can't find any private tutors in my area either.

Anywaaayys, I'm hoping anyone who has completed A LEVEL french or is doing AS or A2, can shed some light on the important aspects of the speaking exams?? My chosen topic for AS is Media and musician and dramatist for A2, so i've chosen Moliere and Stromae. I was looking at studying L'avare/The Miser, however I can't find any resources :frown:

If anyone is also studying Moliere, please help! I don't know where to start and I've left it late as per, but any help regarding the speaking and writing parts of AS and A2 AQA French would be highly appreciated!!

Also we can use this thread for the exams happening this summer, hopefully we can bounce ideas off each other and help everyone!

Thanks guys!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by atiyaaloveszaynx
Hi guys
Right now i'm a private candidate doing both AS and A2 exams this May and June. I'm studying on my own (and I don't know why I thought it was a good idea :s-smilie:) so i'm obviously finding it hard. The centre at which I will be doing my exams are not giving me any sort of support with the speaking or even writing :frown: so i'm pretty much left on my own as I can't find any private tutors in my area either.

Anywaaayys, I'm hoping anyone who has completed A LEVEL french or is doing AS or A2, can shed some light on the important aspects of the speaking exams?? My chosen topic for AS is Media and musician and dramatist for A2, so i've chosen Moliere and Stromae. I was looking at studying L'avare/The Miser, however I can't find any resources :frown:

If anyone is also studying Moliere, please help! I don't know where to start and I've left it late as per, but any help regarding the speaking and writing parts of AS and A2 AQA French would be highly appreciated!!

Also we can use this thread for the exams happening this summer, hopefully we can bounce ideas off each other and help everyone!

Thanks guys!

Hi ! I'm not in A2 or something but I just want you to know that if you need any help in french you can ask me ^-^ ! Btw I studied Molière at collège ! If you have any questions do not hesitate ;D

For the part about giving you advices etc I can't help :/ but maybe these users can :

@iEthan
@rileystringer1
@st nick
Hey, ah that's brilliant thank you so much! I will definitely send some questions over soon once I know what I'm doing, thanks!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey, ah that's brilliant thank you so much! I will definitely send some questions over soon once I know what I'm doing, thanks!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

No prob ! Don't hesitate, feel free to PM :h:
And good luck with your studies :smile:
Reply 4
Apologies, I don't do French but I do German AS Level and the speaking exam is essentially the same structure. I'm assuming you know how the speaking exam works so I'm just gonna give general advice:

- Use lots of opinion phrases
- Try to interact with the examiner, if they make a point/ask a question, then once you've finished your response you could answer back.
- Don't speak too fast.
- Use complex grammar structures when speaking to get higher marks
- Remember to use specific vocab also (e.g...sorry my examples will have to be in english, but say ''nuclear family'' instead of ''traditional family'').

Apologies all I can give is generic considering the language :tongue:
Original post by Inexorably
Apologies, I don't do French but I do German AS Level and the speaking exam is essentially the same structure. I'm assuming you know how the speaking exam works so I'm just gonna give general advice:

- Use lots of opinion phrases
- Try to interact with the examiner, if they make a point/ask a question, then once you've finished your response you could answer back.
- Don't speak too fast.
- Use complex grammar structures when speaking to get higher marks
- Remember to use specific vocab also (e.g...sorry my examples will have to be in english, but say ''nuclear family'' instead of ''traditional family'':wink:.

Apologies all I can give is generic considering the language :tongue:

No no dont need to apologise!! Any help is appreciated! Yes im familiar with the AS exam just not the A2 which is what im worried about :frown:

Thanks very much for the tips! They're very useful. I always panic in speaking because sometimes I dont understand the examiners question or their opinion and then I hesitate for a while which is obviously bad for the recording!
Thanks again :smile:
Reply 6
No no dont need to apologise!! Any help is appreciated! Yes im familiar with the AS exam just not the A2 which is what im worried about :frown:

Thanks very much for the tips! They're very useful. I always panic in speaking because sometimes I dont understand the examiners question or their opinion and then I hesitate for a while which is obviously bad for the recording!
Thanks again :smile:

I can't help too much with A2 unfortunately, I know you just have to convey and back up your opinions for the card I believe?

As for hesitation - think of some phrases you can use to bide you a second or 2, my favourite is "Das ist eine schwierig...ok you don't do German lmfao, my favourite is "That's a difficult question [name here] and one must consider many things". Stuff like that'll help.
Im doing A2 french, my cultural topics are un sac de billes and au revoir les enfants. Can anyone think of some cultural questions i may be asked. We have done very little practice on actual cultural questions so i dont really what to expect. Thanks.
Original post by Inexorably
I can't help too much with A2 unfortunately, I know you just have to convey and back up your opinions for the card I believe?

As for hesitation - think of some phrases you can use to bide you a second or 2, my favourite is "Das ist eine schwierig...ok you don't do German lmfao, my favourite is "That's a difficult question [name here] and one must consider many things". Stuff like that'll help.

Not to worry, oh I see what you mean haha thank you!!
Heey I'm a private candidate as well! I hope you do well! I'm sorry I can't give much advice but I've noticed the best way to gain the top marks is to sound natural and be relaxed. Also what I did in AS speaking was if I couldn't pronounce a word or find the right word I would describe the word or say it as a phrase instead. E.g. If I wanted to say "she hit me" I'd say "elle m'a frappe(e accent)" but if I forget that verb I'd say "elle m'a fait mal".
Original post by geniequeen48
Heey I'm a private candidate as well! I hope you do well! I'm sorry I can't give much advice but I've noticed the best way to gain the top marks is to sound natural and be relaxed. Also what I did in AS speaking was if I couldn't pronounce a word or find the right word I would describe the word or say it as a phrase instead. E.g. If I wanted to say "she hit me" I'd say "elle m'a frappe(e accent)" but if I forget that verb I'd say "elle m'a fait mal".

Heyy haha hope you do well too! Ah thanks! I was thinking about that earlier; I tend to do better in speaking exams near the end because i'm calmer knowing that it's about to finish and that i've passed most of the questions lol, so that is vital but easier said than done!
Thanks for your tip! That's a clever idea actually I didn't think of that, I usually hesitate thinking of the word, but I will try that.
Good luck with your exams+revision
hey! What do you mean by your chosen topic?? I'm doing it privately so I don't know XD thanks
Hey, I'm doing A2 this year, and my chosen topics are Alsace (a region in France) and intouchables.
My speaking is in 10 days and I'm bricking it haha!
Just some advice that my teacher has given me:
- when doing the stimulus card, always stay on topic, apparently people get marked down if they don't stick to their opinion, or if they go off into another topic.
- always try and develop your ideas and give personal opinions... If you don't give many personal reactions, they can't award you for the top mark band.
- make yourself sound like a confident speaker. I know it's hard, especially if you're nervous, but if you sound confident, then it sounds like you know what you're talking about and it'll impress the examiner.
- even if you don't quite know what to say when asked a question, try and use fillers so that there's not a massive pause which doesn't sound good!
I'll try and think of some more, hope this helps and if you have any questions feel free to ask! Good luck, hope it all goes well!
Original post by Bowers717
Hey, I'm doing A2 this year, and my chosen topics are Alsace (a region in France) and intouchables.
My speaking is in 10 days and I'm bricking it haha!
Just some advice that my teacher has given me:
- when doing the stimulus card, always stay on topic, apparently people get marked down if they don't stick to their opinion, or if they go off into another topic.
- always try and develop your ideas and give personal opinions... If you don't give many personal reactions, they can't award you for the top mark band.
- make yourself sound like a confident speaker. I know it's hard, especially if you're nervous, but if you sound confident, then it sounds like you know what you're talking about and it'll impress the examiner.
- even if you don't quite know what to say when asked a question, try and use fillers so that there's not a massive pause which doesn't sound good!
I'll try and think of some more, hope this helps and if you have any questions feel free to ask! Good luck, hope it all goes well!

Good luck to you too, i'm sure you'll be fine! Thank you ever so much for the tips! One thing that's worrying me more than anything is if I don't understand what the question is asking me, I usually feel like that and I end up pausing for too long because I don't understand a few words that they've said :frown:
Hi I'm sitting my a2 exam tomorrow and my AS on Thursday, I'm very nervous too but I have done a lot of preparation for it. If you struggle with understanding the question, there is no problem with asking them to repeat the question so 'pouvez vous répéter la question s'il vous plaît?' Or if they said the question too quickly 'pouvez vous parler plus lentement s'il vous plaît' I hope this helps!! For a2 you will be marked a lot for fluency, pronunciation, grammar, range or structures and content. I find that as long as you keep talking they give you a higher mark because it shows that you know what you are talking about. Also if you talk more it gives you more control over the exam because you can lead into other topics or questions that you are more confident with :smile: I hope this helps
Original post by ashleighmegan
Hi I'm sitting my a2 exam tomorrow and my AS on Thursday, I'm very nervous too but I have done a lot of preparation for it. If you struggle with understanding the question, there is no problem with asking them to repeat the question so 'pouvez vous répéter la question s'il vous plaît?' Or if they said the question too quickly 'pouvez vous parler plus lentement s'il vous plaît' I hope this helps!! For a2 you will be marked a lot for fluency, pronunciation, grammar, range or structures and content. I find that as long as you keep talking they give you a higher mark because it shows that you know what you are talking about. Also if you talk more it gives you more control over the exam because you can lead into other topics or questions that you are more confident with :smile: I hope this helps

Hi, I have my speaking on monday! I was wondering how many times they challenged you during the debate? I'm really nervous about it, could you give me some guidance about what to revise for it? Thank you ☺️
Im doing A2 French :smile: PM me or here, i can help
Original post by ashleighmegan

Hey, aw thank you for the fab advice!! I feel so unprepared now, I thought I was okay but my teacher at work experience made it clear that I wasn't:frown: struggling with environment and science (simply because its so boring for me) so ive lost all hope now! Hope your A2 went well, and good luck for your AS exam!!
Here some tips for A2

-the stimulus card is merely a starter. It's only worth 5/50 marks but 10/50 marks awarded for the coversation in response to your argument that the examiner counters. Try being confident and relaxed. Use mature vocabulary to oppose what the examiner says such as: quoique je sois tout a fait d accord avec vous, en revanche, il y a blahahaha.
-use vocabulary specific words. Vocabulary is key as you are awarded the biggest mark for it (15/50). If the topic is on L'énergie, specific vocabulary you could use include les energies combustibles, la rarefaction etc etc
-There are 20/50 marks combined for Fluency, Intonation & Interaction. Your mark for this can be easily improved just by being more confident. If youre nervous, you'll rush everything and it'll be incomprehensible. You dont want to say a brilliant phrase or point but the examiner cannot give you any marks as he doesnt understand. As fluency improves, so does Interaction & Intonantion

I'm predicted an A* :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by zahraxxx
Hi, I have my speaking on monday! I was wondering how many times they challenged you during the debate? I'm really nervous about it, could you give me some guidance about what to revise for it? Thank you ☺️

Are you doing AS or A2?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending