The Student Room Group

Cyst on scalp

Hi all,
I don't know how this has managed to happen but I've got what seems to be a small cyst on my scalp, above my ear. Its soft and moveable. How are they treated? Has anyone on here ever been treated for one?
Thanks!
I have a couple on my scalp and hate them, but they're totally benign. I think if you beg hard enough you can get them removed at the GP, but I'm still deliberating because I don't want them to cut bits of my hair short!
Reply 2
Original post by such_a_lady
I have a couple on my scalp and hate them, but they're totally benign. I think if you beg hard enough you can get them removed at the GP, but I'm still deliberating because I don't want them to cut bits of my hair short!

Do they grow bigger? If so, best to get them removed I reckon! Would the procedure result in permanent hair loss though?
Reply 3
Original post by Tempzzz
Do they grow bigger? If so, best to get them removed I reckon! Would the procedure result in permanent hair loss though?

A cyst is basically just a big spot- a sac filled with dead blood cells etc- but deeper so less easy to get rid of. They sometimes go away by themselves and sometimes stay or need treatment. For now you can try warm compress and then some gentle squeezing to see if it will empty, but if that doesn't work you'll just have to leave it.
I'd get it looked at quickly at a pharmacy just to be sure it is a cyst, but it sounds like it is. Defiinately don't need to be rushing to get it seen or anything. It shouldn't grow any bigger and should stay as a (possibly slightly white) lump close to the skin that is soft and movable. Shouldn't be any bigger than a pea, hard, odd colour, painful or deep. If it is any of those get it seen.

You'll normally only need a cyst removed if it bothers you. Sometimes they can be in areas that cause pain, but usually not. As long as it isn't getting bigger, looking grim or infected or causing you pain you don't need to do anything.
If you want it removed you may need to ask your gp nicely cos it's not something they will not usually think of doing. I don't think you'd need to pay or anything though- should be able to do it with nhs. The procedure is basically a little cut in the skin and them pulling out the sac after draining it with a needle. Shouldn't cause a scar or permanent hair loss. Think of cutting youself with a craft knife or something- pretty simmilar.

Just google it. Loads of info and even videos. Really common.
Original post by Tempzzz
Hi all,
I don't know how this has managed to happen but I've got what seems to be a small cyst on my scalp, above my ear. Its soft and moveable. How are they treated? Has anyone on here ever been treated for one?
Thanks!

Sounds like a lipoma. Pop to your GP, they'll probably refer you to get it removed

Quick Reply

Latest