The Student Room Group

ISIS & Islam

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JavaScriptMaster
Did you know ISIS are the reason petrol is so cheap right now? They flooded the market with stolen fuel in December 2014 and since then, the price hasn't come back up :tongue:

Yeah but then when the prices went down, they realised that they would get less money for their oil... which means they had to make cutbacks - specially in salaries.

Who knew brainwashed jihadists have absolutely no concept of basic supply and demand economics?

Another positive is that this is hurting the Saudis too :beard:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by chemting
Yeah but then when the prices went down, they realised that they would get less money for their oil... which means they had to make cutbacks - specially in salaries.

Who knew brainwashed jihadists have absolutely no concept of basic supply and demand economics?

Another positive is that this is hurting the Saudis too :beard:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Saudis are losing their Audis?
Saudis are losing their Audis?

No they're having to cut back to Audis... and get rid of all their lamborghinis

Bad news for our Salafi friends here :holmes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
No they're having to cut back to Audis... and get rid of all their lamborghinis

Bad news for our Salafi friends here :holmes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

but what about the Emiraties and their Maseratis?

or the Qataris and their Ferraris

Let's not forget the Kuwaitis and their Bugattis :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's hurting the US, Russia, Canada etc. far more than the GCC oil producers.
When global oil prices started to fall, OPEC countries could have easily done what they have always done in the past and cut output to hold prices. On this occasion, the main reason for lower oil prices was a glut of cheap oil coming from new US facilities.
By allowing the price to go into free fall, the privately owned US oil producers are slowly going under as they had financial models based on higher oil prices.
The Gulf Arab states have large wealth reserves to see them through until they decide that they have a monopoly again and choke supply / raise demand / raise revenue again.
The whole nonsense about ISIS/Daesh selling oil, (they don't sell refined petrol,) is a sideshow I'm afraid.
As an example, Kuwait has a Sovereign Wealth Fund of $592billion to look after less than 1.5m citizens. This isn't going to run out any time soon!

:laugh:
Original post by Christ Redeems
Read more: http://www.al-monitor.com/pulse/originals/2015/01/islamic-state-kjarijites-continuation.html#ixzz44FHZD3AA

The irony of you using a Salafist slur against IS to distance yourself from the IS, when in fact "the similarities between IS and the various branches of Salafism including the Saudi version are far greater than the similarities between IS and the ancient Kharijites."

Hopefully now users on here will no longer be "under-informed", and will know that the IS are a Salafi group. :smile:

What's the difference between salafists and wahabis? I though IS members were wahabis
Original post by queen-bee
What's the difference between salafists and wahabis? I though IS members were wahabis

To all but a Salafist they are synonymous, but a Salafist considers the term 'Wahhabi' to be an insulting slur.
Original post by Good bloke
To all but a Salafist they are synonymous, but a Salafist considers the term 'Wahhabi' to be an insulting slur.

Why?
Original post by Zamestaneh
The issue is that non-Muslims are not familiar with Khawarijism so essentially it is sufficient to use the simple explanation that the actions of ISIS are not wholely Islamic, even if they attempt to use Quran and Hadith to support their statements and belief, as this is still in effect true. The quote presented in the OP itself does not actually bring any substance to the topic of ISIS since Khawarijism is something that was already acknowledged and fought against by the Muslim community 1400 years ago; the quote in the OP will only pander to an underinformed audience who will undoubtedly respond that the issue is with Islam itself rather than Khawarijism since it is likely that they are unfamiliar with the concept and it feeds their predisposition against Islam.

Would you accept Kharijites as a source of Hadith?
(edited 8 years ago)
Did you know ISIS are the reason petrol is so cheap right now? They flooded the market with stolen fuel in December 2014 and since then, the price hasn't come back up :tongue:

Is this actually true? :sly:
Reply 32
He may have come from an extremist background but you can't paint all Muslims with such a broad brush
Original post by Slutty Salafi

Nope, it isn't true.

Lol apparently Saudi Aramco miscalculated the demand and pumped out too much oil, which decreased the prices.

I think they underestimated the effect of ISIS' unaccountable black market oil...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by fatima1998
tbh...i haven't read the OP so i dunno what it says:colondollar:

Oh ok I see so you just wanted to show everyone how little you give a crap about addressing this problem within your religious community.
Lol apparently Saudi Aramco miscalculated the demand and pumped out too much oil, which decreased the prices.

I think they underestimated the effect of ISIS' unaccountable black market oil...

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's pretty interesting actually. It implies that prior to Islamic State, global oil prices were largely rigged by the major oil producing nations so when you fill up, you're not paying a market value for your petrol, you're paying an inflated price which has been created by arrangements of nations like the USA.
That's pretty interesting actually. It implies that prior to Islamic State, global oil prices were largely rigged by the major oil producing nations so when you fill up, you're not paying a market value for your petrol, you're paying an inflated price which has been created by arrangements of nations like the USA.

Yes, that could true. In fact, I think no one paid bought oil at market value since the 70s...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petrodollar_recycling

I wonder if the USA is actually benefitting from ISIS selling oil... considering they would still probably have to sell on the dollar (even if it is "black market")

[I'm in no means an expert on oil markets I'm afraid, so there's a chance I could be chatting all sorts of rubbish :colondollar:]
Yes, that could true. In fact, I think no one paid bought oil at market value since the 70s...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petrodollar_recycling

I wonder if the USA is actually benefitting from ISIS selling oil... considering they would still probably have to sell on the dollar (even if it is "black market":wink:

[I'm in no means an expert on oil markets I'm afraid, so there's a chance I could be chatting all sorts of rubbish :colondollar:]

Why would they be forced to sell in dollars, so long as the currency they receive is stable they surely would still take it? Maybe Dollars are preferable because everyone in the world accepts them but apart from that no other reason to only take them.

To be honest, I wonder if IS ramping up production has hurt America which is why they went from largely not caring to this being the number 1 issue.
Why would they be forced to sell in dollars, so long as the currency they receive is stable they surely would still take it? Maybe Dollars are preferable because everyone in the world accepts them but apart from that no other reason to only take them.

I don't know, I thought all oil coming out of OPEC are forced to be sold on the dollar?

Plus, the dollar is the world's reserve currency so its the easiest.

To be honest, I wonder if IS ramping up production has hurt America which is why they went from largely not caring to this being the number 1 issue.

Well, it's weird to see US politicians advocating for ground troops against IS, even though it is a declining "state" that is losing territory, money, personnel and influence everyday. I thought the ground troops are actually to fight against Assad, however I'm not so sure now haha. I think America's involvement is more to help KSA and Israel than anything else.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending