The Student Room Group

Any mature students on here who have gone back to study A-levels??

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BristolFresher15
You mean practical exams? Yes, all units.

Yeah the actual core practical exams. Can I ask where you're doing them and how much it cost you? Also, how many hours each day are you studying?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Philip-flop
Yeah the actual core practical exams. Can I ask where you're doing them and how much it cost you? Also, how many hours each day are you studying?

A place called 3A Tutors in Bristol. Not exactly sure but around 2000 GBP I think. And around 6-8 hours a day ideally.
What are we classing as ''mature'' ? :colondollar:

I returned to do them last September aged 19 (currently 20) and won't finish them until I'm 21 :tongue:
A place called 3A Tutors in Bristol. Not exactly sure but around 2000 GBP I think. And around 6-8 hours a day ideally.

Oh yeah, I've actually heard about them!! But due to my financial position I couldn't afford it so am doing Biology without physically doing any of the practicals. But I'm worried about answering questions about the practicals in the actual exams :frown:
Original post by Inexorably
What are we classing as ''mature'' ? :colondollar:

I returned to do them last September aged 19 (currently 20) and won't finish them until I'm 21 :tongue:

I think anyone over the age of 18 who is studying A-levels is classified as "mature", well.. from my point of view anyway :P

What were you doing before, and what made you return to study?
Oh yeah, I've actually heard about them!! But due to my financial position I couldn't afford it so am doing Biology without physically doing any of the practicals. But I'm worried about answering questions about the practicals in the actual exams :frown:

I'm sure it won't be that bad. You can probably practice on your own. Don't stress much! I've done very similar practicals in uni and they are fairly straight forward.
I think anyone over the age of 18 who is studying A-levels is classified as "mature", well.. from my point of view anyway :P

What were you doing before, and what made you return to study?

Ah right okay, I'd normally say 24+ as that's when the funding practically vanishes (have to get a loan, but I believe they've slashed funding for 19+ now in this govt) but yeah each to their own :tongue:

I did AS Levels 2012-2013 and then started 2013-2014 but dropped out October 2013, then started work in February 2014 and pretty much just did various work roles until I returned last year :biggrin:
I'm sure it won't be that bad. You can probably practice on your own. Don't stress much! I've done very similar practicals in uni and they are fairly straight forward.

Thank you, I'm probably just worrying too much. I've managed to find notes online about the core practicals for my exam board (Edexcel) but do have trouble learning about the different equipment and what things are used for! But I'm going to spend a day learning these nearer to the exams.

Original post by Inexorably
Ah right okay, I'd normally say 24+ as that's when the funding practically vanishes (have to get a loan, but I believe they've slashed funding for 19+ now in this govt) but yeah each to their own :tongue:

I did AS Levels 2012-2013 and then started 2013-2014 but dropped out October 2013, then started work in February 2014 and pretty much just did various work roles until I returned last year :biggrin:

Ah yeah, that is a very valid point about being classified as a mature student! Oh wow, sounds like you've dabbled in all sorts of work environments! I'm assuming you're hoping to go to uni after these A-levels then?
Ah yeah, that is a very valid point about being classified as a mature student! Oh wow, sounds like you've dabbled in all sorts of work environments! I'm assuming you're hoping to go to uni after these A-levels then?

Administration & customer service roles pretty much xD

Yeah I'd like to go and do German & something else (probably philosophy or linguistics or ab initio another language) but not certain yet :smile:
I opted away from doing an access course as you are limited to what uni/degree you can apply to. Also there is a 3/4 year expiry date on completion of your access course, meaning if you don't go to uni before this then it'll become invalid when applying.

I achieved the grades C,C,D at college (but studied different subjects to now) as I was very lazy and had too many things happening in my life at the time. Why do you feel like dropping out? Just work as hard as you can now, then you won't feel like you could have done better later on in life (take it from me)!!

Age is just a number my friend! I'm currently 23!! Are you studying your A-levels at college then or are you self-teaching?

Oh cool. Yea, will keep on fighting through. Thanks for your advice. This thread has been extremely inspiring to read.
Original post by Cherry82
Oh cool. Yea, will keep on fighting through. Thanks for your advice. This thread has been extremely inspiring to read.

No problem.

Yeah it just goes to show that you are never too old to study for your education! :smile:
I'm 25, thinking about doing an A level or two; not for any specific reason, just for something to do and to make my CV look a bit more normal. Not sure what subjects to take, history, French, English are all options... or possibly a totally new subject like biology or geology?
Reply 32
I'm 29 and looking into doing a Biology A-Level for Veterinary Nursing, as that's the only qualification I'm missing. I would have loved to do an Access to HE course but it'll take me at least 2 years while the A-Level I can hopefully do in one.. I've only been in the UK for 5 years so not sure what to expect haha!
Glad to see I'm not alone in this :smile:
Original post by Snufkin
I'm 25, thinking about doing an A level or two; not for any specific reason, just for something to do and to make my CV look a bit more normal. Not sure what subjects to take, history, French, English are all options... or possibly a totally new subject like biology or geology?

It'll definitely enhance your CV!! But try to do subjects that you feel will benefit you the most!

Original post by Daphna.S
I'm 29 and looking into doing a Biology A-Level for Veterinary Nursing, as that's the only qualification I'm missing. I would have loved to do an Access to HE course but it'll take me at least 2 years while the A-Level I can hopefully do in one.. I've only been in the UK for 5 years so not sure what to expect haha!
Glad to see I'm not alone in this :smile:

Veterinary Nursing?! Wow that'll be such a rewarding/fulfilling career! What other qualifications do you have? Have you done A-levels before?
Reply 34
I hope so!! :biggrin: Always wanted to work with animals, wish I didn't have to wait until I'm almost 30 to get some sense knocked into me but that's just life isn't it :smile:
NARIC have done a comparability statement for me and I have all the required equivalents and grades for GCSEs and A-Levels, except for that one Biology A-Level. I would have preferred to do an Access to HE in Animals Science, but don't really want to waste an extra year when I can do the A-Level in just one and hopefully start my studies in 2017..
This is all very stressful! Being older, out of education for about a decade, working full time AND a foreigner...

Veterinary Nursing?! Wow that'll be such a rewarding/fulfilling career! What other qualifications do you have? Have you done A-levels before?
I hope so!! :biggrin: Always wanted to work with animals, wish I didn't have to wait until I'm almost 30 to get some sense knocked into me but that's just life isn't it :smile:
NARIC have done a comparability statement for me and I have all the required equivalents and grades for GCSEs and A-Levels, except for that one Biology A-Level. I would have preferred to do an Access to HE in Animals Science, but don't really want to waste an extra year when I can do the A-Level in just one and hopefully start my studies in 2017..
This is all very stressful! Being older, out of education for about a decade, working full time AND a foreigner...

That's so good!! Yeah there's not much point doing the access course tbh, just concentrate on doing A-level Biology in a year! I'm assuming you will need an 'A' grade so go buy yourself an endorsed textbook and start studying and get your notes together as soon as possible!
Reply 36
Grade B, but I'm aiming high :wink:
Good idea on the textbook! Whatever course I do will start in September but it's never too early to start revising. Thanks!

That's so good!! Yeah there's not much point doing the access course tbh, just concentrate on doing A-level Biology in a year! I'm assuming you will need an 'A' grade so go buy yourself an endorsed textbook and start studying and get your notes together as soon as possible!
Grade B, but I'm aiming high :wink:
Good idea on the textbook! Whatever course I do will start in September but it's never too early to start revising. Thanks!

That's pretty decent if your preferred uni is only requires a grade B for Biology! Your other qualifications must be really good!! I wish you the best of luck! And do feel free to keep in contact!!
Reply 38
Thank you! I will definitely be around for the next year or so, nothing beats talking to people who are in a similar situation to you :smile:

That's pretty decent if your preferred uni is only requires a grade B for Biology! Your other qualifications must be really good!! I wish you the best of luck! And do feel free to keep in contact!!
Thank you! I will definitely be around for the next year or so, nothing beats talking to people who are in a similar situation to you :smile:

Yeah this thread is good as everyone has their own reason to being a mature student studying A-levels. Just means we're not alone!! :smile:

Quick Reply