The Student Room Group

RAF career

Hi I'm applying for an MT mechanic in RAF and I rang them this morning and they said I need maths and English GCSE but I got an E in English and a D in maths and a D in science but I have a C in design and technology and an NVQ in plumbing they suggested that I resit my maths and English but I don't really want to resit as it would be another year until I apply again and then on top of that wait for the job to open up any suggestions or advice ?
What is your question? Are you looking for alternative jobs in the RAF that don't have minimum educational requirements?
Reply 2
I don't know what to do either resit my GCSEs and wait another year :frown: is their any fast track course out their to recommend ?
Original post by Macca960
I don't know what to do either resit my GCSEs and wait another year :frown: is their any fast track course out their to recommend ?

No there is no fast track course. That is also a very bad attitude to have. The RAF are looking for people that can commit to hard work, and also people who have the courage to face and overcome hardship, not look for the easy option out. There are a few jobs in the RAF that do not need GCSE qualifications, and you can look them up in the RAF website. But you need to fit the basic educational requirements for all jobs, whether that is RAF regiment soldier or pilot. No way around it.

My advice to you is to resit, and there are 3 reasons for this.

1) You need 5 GCSE's A - C including English and Maths to get any meaningful employment, whether that be in the Armed Forces or in a civilian career.
2) You cannot become a mechanic in the RAF without the English and mathematics abilities. They need intelligent, articulate people to work on very advanced aircraft and other vehicles. It is down to you to prove that you are.
3) If you can't even be bothered to face challenge and hardship, by sticking it out and resitting your GCSE's, then they aren't going to give you any shortcuts or leniency.

If you truly want to join the RAF as a mechanic, then you will resit the year. Take on the chin and get through it, and then apply. Because that is the life you are going to have in the RAF. No rewards without hard work.

Good luck!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Macca960
Hi I'm applying for an MT mechanic in RAF and I rang them this morning and they said I need maths and English GCSE but I got an E in English and a D in maths and a D in science but I have a C in design and technology and an NVQ in plumbing they suggested that I resit my maths and English but I don't really want to resit as it would be another year until I apply again and then on top of that wait for the job to open up any suggestions or advice ?
If you want a career in the RAF then unfortunately the entrance qualifications must be satisfied.

There are equivalents which include relevant BTEC and C&G qualifications which may satisfy the entry requirements as an alternative.

However, the RAF has a minimum education entry requirement for all applicants, irrespective of job or role. This is because of the unique challenges posed by the career and the continued learning you will be expected to embark on if you are successful in your application.

A mechanical technician role, by nature, will require you to read and comprehend extensive service manuals with complex diagrams quickly and efficiently. You may need to do that during battlezone conditions under intense pressure where lives are at stake. In order to do that you will need to understand your role completely. Basic mechanical engineering theory - which will inevitably require a minimum level of Maths and English ability - is just the start.

If you want this, I'd say their is no getting away from continued education. If you want to be in the RAF you must be prepared to continue your education and indeed relish it beyond GCSE.

To prove you can cut-it and are committed to it as a career and vocation, the RAF wants to see those GCSE's or equivalents. There is no other way unfortunately and as the above poster said, trying to get in via short-cuts is exactly the attitude which will stop you from getting in.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
My original application was for a supplier and that didn't require any qualifications but I thought I'm not achieving my full potential if I was going in as a supplier that's why I changed my mind and went for MT mechanic!
Reply 6
Replying to uberteknik reply I fully understand that you need to be hard working and determined to join the RAF but I thought an NVQ in a trade ,BTEC level 3 and key skills would possibly overlook the fact I haven't got English and maths
Choose a role that you think you will be most suited to and will enjoy, and then get the educational qualifications for that job. If that is RAF mechanic, then you need those qualifications. No way around it. You can have a PHD in Zoology, but if you don't have a C in GCSE maths and English, then you won't be accepted.

Regardless, I would still advise getting 5 GCSE's A- C including English and Maths, even if the job you wanted needed no educational qualifications. There is no rush to join, jobs in the RAF open and close all the time and unless you are a man in his 30s (which I'm sure you're not), the opportunities will be open for you for a long time.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8
I'm 19 years of age and I've always wanted to join the armed forces and hoped I would be on by the age of 17 or 18 , I thought I had a shot at joining as a mechanic but I have to put that extra effort in to achieve my goal
Good. So another year or so, and you will be 20/21 when you join as a mechanic, which is the average age of recruits in the RAF basic training anyway. When I joined (2 months after my 18th birthday) I was the youngest person by several years (the next youngest was 21 and the oldest was in his late 30s). But then again, I joined the Army reserves and recruits are usually older anyway. Don't worry about your age, nobody cares and nobody really notices at work. Your goal is to become a RAF mechanic. Keep that in mind and do your best when you resit.

Good luck!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 10
I got a few mates that are joining the military in general at the age of 20/21 whereas another of my mates is 19 and is curretly doing his phase 2 training but I guess I'll have to resit to achieve
Macca960,

I left school at 16 and only achieved four A*-C grades, I wanted to apply to the RAF as Aircrew but knew I needed 5 GCSE's. So, I headed back to my local college and re-sat those GCSE's I needed and ended up coming out with more additional GCSE's than I did at school.
Don't have the 'I don't want to resit attitude' - if at first you don't succeed, try and try again!!

Best of luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile
That is very true, I come out with no GCSEs when I came out of school but now I have a level 1 in travel and tourism and will be progressing up to a level 2 on the 5th of September 2017 also I have a functional skills math's and progressing on to a GCSE level....hopefully I will pass and have a grade D in English and have also I have a M1 in ICT and finally a D in geography.Since I was 10 I had the idea of being a pilot in the raf and to be honest i did doubt my self but i have supportive family member and friends who boost up my confidence and that's why am doing well and progressing Ricardo Ribeiro

Quick Reply

Latest