The Student Room Group

Single with Mortgage - Can I afford Uni?

I currently have a full time job, which I'm really unhappy in, but it pays enough to cover the costs for my mortgage each month. I am desperate to go to university so I recently applied and have just found out I have received an unconditional offer. To be honest, I was quite shocked as I didn't think I would have any sort of chance, so I am really pleased!

However, I'm not sure if this will be possible as I have a mortgage. I have tried asking people for advice, but no one seems to know anyone in the same situation as me. Whenever I Google it, I can only find help for single mothers. I have no children and I'm a 24 year old female and I live on my own, so have no support from a partner. Please can someone offer advice? Or is anyone in the same situation?

Edit: I am hoping to stay at home whilst at uni as my course is only an hour and a half drive away. So renting it out/selling wouldn't be an option.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Pudge22
I currently have a full time job, which I'm really unhappy in, but it pays enough to cover the costs for my mortgage each month. I am desperate to go to university so I recently applied and have just found out I have received an unconditional offer. To be honest, I was quite shocked as I didn't think I would have any sort of chance, so I am really pleased!

However, I'm not sure if this will be possible as I have a mortgage. I have tried asking people for advice, but no one seems to know anyone in the same situation as me. Whenever I Google it, I can only find help for single mothers. I have no children and I'm 24 year old female and I live on my own, so have no support from a partner. Please can someone offer advice? Or is anyone in the same situation?

You should be eligible for the maximum loan of 8k and universities might have scholarships available but otherwise i dont think you'll be eligible for anything else financially.
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
You should be eligible for the maximum loan of 8k and universities might have scholarships available but otherwise i dont think you'll be eligible for anything else financially.

Ah ok, thank you for your help and speedy response. Doesn't look likely for me then :frown:
I'm a soon-to-be mature student. No house but been looking into the financial side of life quite a lot.

Well. There are people at uni with mortgages but it's very much a case-by-case basis.

The key point is that it's very unlikely you're going to be able to afford rent AND a mortgage, so you'll have to find a uni that's within commuting distance of your house.

You're going to qualify for the full maintenance loan of £8500 per year anyway.
Original post by Pudge22
Ah ok, thank you for your help and speedy response. Doesn't look likely for me then :frown:

You would be able to get a tuition fee loan for a part time course, maybe that would be a option for you? Some universities will do evening classes or you could consider open university.
Original post by Pudge22

Can you rent your house out whilst you go to Uni?
Most university courses are only 30 weeks or so of the year.

That gives you 20 full weeks to work in a full-time job to cover your costs. You don't have children, so you've got freedom coming out every orifice. This is definitely possible for most people if they're willing to work hard.
Reply 7
Original post by 999tigger
Can you rent your house out whilst you go to Uni?

The uni which I would like to go to is an hour and a half drive away from where I live, so I think I would rather stay where I am and drive there every day. Although another cost I would have to look into.
Original post by Pudge22
The uni which I would like to go to is an hour and a half drive away from where I live, so I think I would rather stay where I am and drive there every day. Although another cost I would have to look into.

spare room to rent? Youll just need to do the sums. Dont let it put you off. Dont forget many people do a job to supplement their income.

Whatever shortfall you havem then youll just have to save or maybe find bursaries or scholarships.
Reply 9
Original post by Supersaps
Most university courses are only 30 weeks or so of the year.

That gives you 20 full weeks to work in a full-time job to cover your costs. You don't have children, so you've got freedom coming out every orifice. This is definitely possible for most people if they're willing to work hard.

I would definitely be getting a job alongside my uni course, as I think it's only three days a week and I enjoy earning money too much to sit at home on my day's off. I suppose I would have to look around and find somewhere suitable that would let me work around my degree. You're right, thank you for your help.
Original post by Pudge22

However, I'm not sure if this will be possible as I have a mortgage. I have tried asking people for advice, but no one seems to know anyone in the same situation as me. Whenever I Google it, I can only find help for single mothers. I have no children and I'm 24 year old female and I live on my own, so have no support from a partner. Please can someone offer advice? Or is anyone in the same situation?

I'm in a similar situation!

Single female with mortgage will be studying this year full time.

Terrifying.

I will be renting out my property and probably pulling pints to earn pocket money.
Original post by Pudge22
I would definitely be getting a job alongside my uni course, as I think it's only three days a week and I enjoy earning money too much to sit at home on my day's off. I suppose I would have to look around and find somewhere suitable that would let me work around my degree. You're right, thank you for your help.

You could always look into community care/care homes/nursing homes, that's how i put myself through 3 years of uni with no financial help from SFE or my parents :smile: Definitely possible. And congrats on your offer!
Reply 12
Original post by 999tigger
spare room to rent? Youll just need to do the sums. Dont let it put you off. Dont forget many people do a job to supplement their income.

Whatever shortfall you havem then youll just have to save or maybe find bursaries or scholarships.

Yes I will look into them thank you. My close friends and family aren't supportive as they see me as quite lucky to have saved up and bought a home so why would I throw it away to go to uni where "I might not even get a job out of it."

Although I have been unhappy in my job for 3 years and would love to be able to progress and study. I know I can do so much better, I just need the right qualifications behind me.
Any equity? Remortgage chances?
Reply 14
Original post by leavingthecity
I'm in a similar situation!

Single female with mortgage will be studying this year full time.

Terrifying.

I will be renting out my property and probably pulling pints to earn pocket money.

Good plan :smile: ! Although my uni is an hour and a half drive away so I was hoping to still stay at home. Well done!
Original post by Pudge22
Good plan :smile: ! Although my uni is an hour and a half drive away so I was hoping to still stay at home. Well done!

Hi!

I'll be hopefully transferring back down to London after my foundation year and then I'll live in my flat again. Luckily my payments aren't big, but I'll still be working to support myself. The thought of not having a full time job is SCARY no?
Reply 16
Original post by leavingthecity
Hi!

I'll be hopefully transferring back down to London after my foundation year and then I'll live in my flat again. Luckily my payments aren't big, but I'll still be working to support myself. The thought of not having a full time job is SCARY no?

Yes I am the same! I did a full time apprenticeship, then an advanced apprenticeship and have worked full time literally since the day I left school at 16 (8 years ago!). So I am so used to working full time and having a salary!. My mortgage payments aren't too high either, I just can't imagine not having a wage every month that automatically pays my bills. I think that's what I am scared of!
I think we will just have to take it as it comes. I'm sure we could work over the holidays and make enough to survive.

It's the lifestyle I'll miss too. No more shopping.
I'm in the same situation, I own my own home without any spousal support. I am going back to uni in 5 weeks :afraid: and am worried about not having a regular solid income coming in. I have been offered a job as a casual support worker so will be doing this to earn extra money. my bursary and loan will cover the mortgage and bills excluding petrol anything extra from working will then go towards food and fuel and savings in case of anything going wrong with the car and/or house.

On paper my finances look doable albeit with a very low income compare to my current full time wage. however, i am worried that in reality this will not be the case and I'll be struggling every week. My attitude is to at least give it a go and if I am really struggling financially then I'll have to leave and hopefully find another job in my current career, I hope this won't be the case.

What will you be studying?
Work part time as well as receiving your maintenance loan whilst st uni

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending