The Student Room Group

maths-perimeter

1 18 hours ago Report post
The circle (diameter 16cm) and the semicircle, including its diameter, have the same perimeter. Work out the radius, r, of the semicircle.
So far...
I worked out the perimeter of the circle being 16pie and I know that this would be the same as the perimeter of the semicircle.

Scroll to see replies

Well, if the diameter is 16cm then half it for the radius..

16/2 = 8cm.. don't they teach you that raidus is half of a circle while diameter is the full length?
Reply 2
Original post by ckfeister

16/2 = 8cm.. don't they teach you that raidus is half of a circle while diameter is the full length?

yeah I know that but that's not what the question is asking... there's a circle and a semicircle with the same perimeter, which would mean their radius is different from one another
Original post by neharajput
yeah I know that but that's not what the question is asking... there's a circle and a semicircle with the same perimeter, which would mean their radius is different from one another

work out perimeter of circle and semicircle
set them equal to each other solve for radius of semicircle

so you'll whap you fraction in your calculator and you should get a right answer but i don't guarantee i will be right so @Student403 and @Zacken
(edited 8 years ago)
Please don't post full solutions but that's not correct because you've added 16 to the pi * d / 2 instead of just d. 16 is not the diameter. d is.
Original post by Student403
Please don't post full solutions but that's not correct because you've added 16 to the pi * d / 2 instead of just d. 16 is not the diameter. d is.

oh yea.... lemme correct it then
Original post by thefatone
oh yea.... lemme correct it then

But you're still giving the full solution which is against the forum guidelines
But you're still giving the full solution which is against the forum guidelines

if i give a worded walkthrough of how to do it then put answer in spoiler is that ok?
Original post by thefatone
if i give a worded walkthrough of how to do it then put answer in spoiler is that ok?

Worded walkthrough without the answer would be appropriate
Reply 9
Moved to maths.
Reply 10
Worded walkthrough without the answer would be appropriate

I tried doing the perimeter of the semicircle= perimeter of the circle and solved it, but then it didn't work when I substituted it in, which is why I'm confused...
I tried doing the perimeter of the semicircle= perimeter of the circle and solved it, but then it didn't work when I substituted it in, which is why I'm confused...

Mind showing me your workings? I can tell you where you went wrong :smile:
Reply 12

Circle: perimeter 2πr=2π×8=16π2 \pi r = 2\pi \times 8 = 16\pi.

Semi-circle: perimeter 2πr2=πr\frac{2 \pi r}{2} = \pi r, but including the diameter of the semi-circle gives us (perimeter plus diameter): πr+2r\pi r + 2r.

Original post by ckfeister

Bit rich coming from someone who didn't even understand the question and flopped incredibly.
I worked out the perimeter of the circle being 16pie

Reply 14
Original post by Zacken

Semi-circle: perimeter 2πr2=πr\frac{2 \pi r}{2} = \pi r, but including the diameter of the semi-circle gives us (perimeter plus diameter): πr+2r\pi r + 2r.

Bit rich coming from someone who didn't even understand the question and flopped incredibly.

I got those formulas previously and worked it out as the radius being 5.3 recurring?
Thank you so much for your help btw, much appreciated:smile:
Reply 15
Mind showing me your workings? I can tell you where you went wrong :smile:

Perimeter of the circle= 16pie
(pie x radius) + (2 x radius) = 16pie
Divide both sides by pie...
radius + 2radius= 16
r=16/3
r=5.3 recurring
Perimeter of the circle= 16pie
(pie x radius) + (2 x radius) = 16pie
Divide both sides by pie...
radius + 2radius= 16
r=16/3
r=5.3 recurring

incorrect here. What happens when you divide 2radius by pi?

It's pi btw not pie :tongue:
Reply 17
incorrect here. What happens when you divide 2radius by pi?

It's pi btw not pie :tongue:

ohhh sorry loooool omg:':wink:
anyways...
when you divide 2 radius by pi you get 2 radius/ pi
but then if u multiply everything by pi to get rid of that your back to where you were before, which is what I'm unsure about...
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Zacken

Oh look, its that crybaby from " Improve my grades " about his lazy background thinking it was hell.
Reply 19
ohhh sorry loooool omg:':wink:
anyways...
when you divide 2 radius by pi you get 2 radius/ pi
but then if u multiply everything by pi to get rid of that your back to where you were before, which is what I'm unsure about...

Why do you want to multiply everything by pi to get rid of it?

We have r(2+π)=16π    r=16π2+πr(2+\pi) = 16\pi \iff r = \frac{16\pi}{2+\pi}, ta-da...

Quick Reply

Latest