The Student Room Group

What did you get in your gcse's

Scroll to see replies

@nisha.Sri + anyone else asking...

Different tactics of revision work for different people, so although discovering potential strategies is useful, you need to find what works specifically for you :smile:

Over the Easter break, practice papers and revise using differing strategies to find out what works best for you :smile:

I toyed around with different methods and got 6A* 5A and a D* so best of luck to you for the upcoming exams! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ombtom
No, but I think he might have changed his site so that only a few are free now. They're definitely worth paying for if you know that you're quite a visual learner. :smile:

Ok because so many people mention him and if you did English Lit/ Language well i am sure you might have but how did you revise for those :smile:
Original post by redwhiteandbrit

Different tactics of revision work for different people, so although discovering potential strategies is useful, you need to find what works specifically for you :smile:

Over the Easter break, practice papers and revise using differing strategies to find out what works best for you :smile:

I toyed around with different methods and got 6A* 5A and a D* so best of luck to you for the upcoming exams! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

D*. Just made my day.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for your advice :smile:
How much did you revise during easter?
Original post by nisha.sri
Well i am predicted and i want to get A* in all my subjects but Geography i want an A/B :smile:
Did you just do past papers?! How long did you revise for during easter

Nice! Yeah, you need a lot of exam technique. I also looked through the spec and revised using textbooks before I began doing past papers and was comfortable with the topic. I revised quite a bit during the Easter, but never forced myself to revise.
Reply 65
Ok because so many people mention him and if you did English Lit/ Language well i am sure you might have but how did you revise for those :smile:

I found English much harder to revise for. Obviously make sure you know each text thoroughly. Try to get other people's perspectives on each text so that your arguments aren't too narrow and repetitive. Try making mind maps for each character/theme.
Original post by ravioliyears
Nice! Yeah, you need a lot of exam technique. I also looked through the spec and revised using textbooks before I began doing past papers and was comfortable with the topic. I revised quite a bit during the Easter, but never forced myself to revise.

I'm currently during 8 hours - 9 each day hopefully i can get my A*
Reply 67
7A*2A1B

4 Hours a day all through easter
Original post by ombtom
I found English much harder to revise for. Obviously make sure you know each text thoroughly. Try to get other people's perspectives on each text so that your arguments aren't too narrow and repetitive. Try making mind maps for each character/theme.

I've made many mind maps :smile: for english. Thanks for your advice and good luck in your a-levels
I'm currently during 8 hours - 9 each day hopefully i can get my A*

You will. Don't force yourself to revise because it would just seem like you're reading a book rather than taking in and understanding the text.
How did you revise?
Any advice?
Well done

Most people have their own way of revising.

Personally, I mainly just used CGP guides and past papers. But I did mine a while ago, so there are good internet sources now as well.
You've probably realised this by now but GCSE is mainly about fact-learning, so rote learn as much as you can.
Original post by MR.ANONYMOUS 786
D*. Just made my day.

Gotta love BTECs! Tbh ict has had its uses...
Thank you for your advice :smile:
How much did you revise during easter?

I like lie-ins so I think I started about 11 ish and did a recap of the day-before up to lunch. Then I would work on new material for the next segments :smile: I would finish at about 6:30 ish and then potentially do some other work in the evening if I felt behind

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
I found that doing 2-3 hours of solid focused revision in a day was more beneficial than doing 8/9 hours. No need to work for a huge amount of time as my biggest exam was 2.5 hours.
You will. Don't force yourself to revise because it would just seem like you're reading a book rather than taking in and understanding the text.

That is true :smile:
10A*, 1A. My main tip would be learn the specification. For a lot of subjects which are knowledge-based (science, math, geography, etc), the questions are only going to be things on the spec. Once you've got the spec down, do past papers, but not the whole paper - skip questions you know how to answer easily so you don't waste time on them, and instead just do things you struggle with. If you're doing a language, download the list of vocab you need to know (exam boards usually have a ~20-page list on their sites) and learn that.
Gotta love BTECs! Tbh ict has had its uses...

I like lie-ins so I think I started about 11 ish and did a recap of the day-before up to lunch. Then I would work on new material for the next segments :smile: I would finish at about 6:30 ish and then potentially do some other work in the evening if I felt behind

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree with that. Everyone in my class began revising at like 6 in the morning, and there's me waking up at 11 :lol: I did this thing where I revised until dinner and then did some extra work after dinner as I was watching tv. I was very relaxed during gcses, which was surprising haha
Original post by QuantumStuff
I found that doing 2-3 hours of solid focused revision in a day was more beneficial than doing 8/9 hours. No need to work for a huge amount of time as my biggest exam was 2.5 hours.

:smile: But i feel like the more you revise the better :smile:
Original post by thatllbeme
10A*, 1A. My main tip would be learn the specification. For a lot of subjects which are knowledge-based (science, math, geography, etc), the questions are only going to be things on the spec. Once you've got the spec down, do past papers, but not the whole paper - skip questions you know how to answer easily so you don't waste time on them, and instead just do things you struggle with. If you're doing a language, download the list of vocab you need to know (exam boards usually have a ~20-page list on their sites) and learn that.

WOW :smile: WELL DONE :smile: :smile: :smile: How did you revise for Science?
I agree with that. Everyone in my class began revising at like 6 in the morning, and there's me waking up at 11 :lol: I did this thing where I revised until dinner and then did some extra work after dinner as I was watching tv. I was very relaxed during gcses, which was surprising haha

lol x :biggrin::h:
Original post by thatllbeme

Did you take History? Because you know the content is enormous when even the spec is vague...

Quick Reply

Latest