The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Just seems pointless. If you believe you're gonna be together forever, then why the rush to get engaged? Why not wait a few more years?
Original post by Thomb
So don't get engaged until you're a couple of months away from getting married. :tongue:

Well I'd want time to save up and plan everything :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Changing Skies
Aw that's really lovely! :h: a girl I was quite good friends with is getting married this summer, she looks incredibly happy.

Sensible post :h:

True. I'd want to get married within a couple of years of getting engaged! Having said that, my friend's parents recently got married having been engaged for something like 20 years :tongue:

Haha that is literally how every teacher throughout my educaton has described me.
And my parents. And my friends. Accurate observation! :tongue:
Aw that's really lovely! :h: a girl I was quite good friends with is getting married this summer, she looks incredibly happy.

True. I'd want to get married within a couple of years of getting engaged! Having said that, my friend's parents recently got married having been engaged for something like 20 years :tongue:

It is they had quite a long engagement (5 years or so) so its nice that they're finally getting married and that all of our friends are able to be there:smile: I don't want to wait more than a year between getting engaged and married really, but we want to do it just us and 2 witnesses so won't take too long to organise :smile:
Original post by M14B

Does it simply mean living with each other but not married?

No, that's cohabitting :P
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 25
Well I'd want time to save up and plan everything :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

You can save up and plan before you get engaged. :u:
Reply 26
Thought I was with the love of my life at 21. Clearly I was wrong.

I can't help but wonder how many other 21yr olds make the same mistake.
People used to get married very young in the war years and some of them have had long and successful relationships.
Society changes though, so we have different expectations of marriage and engagements. Till death do us part etc,

The two factors you might consider are.

1. We live a lot longer than our grandparents. 80 is the average and growing.
2. At 20 you wont apprecuate that you change as a person, so a good match at 20 doesnt mean you will be a good match at 30. you probably havent developed fully until your 30. Your life but I think its nice to meet and engage with plenty of people before settling down so you know yurself and are sure of what you want.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by queen-bee
I see nothing wrong with it,if both parties know what they're getting into

How would they not know?
Getting engaged is okay at any age as long as you're ready and doing it for the right reasons. It gives the 'extra' commitment to a relationship but it's not something that's legally binding if it doesn't work out so it's a good thing in my opinion. I was 18 when I got engaged and it really wasn't a big deal.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Nameless Ghoul
How would they not know?

Some people rush into these things without taking time to consider certain things
Original post by Reue

interest comment.

I guess you're in no rush to tie the knot at 21.
Original post by Thomb
You can save up and plan before you get engaged. :u:

Suppose :teehee:
Original post by Reue

If you don't mind me asking, how come things didn't work out? Was it a case of just drifting apart or? Did you talk about marriage etc? Obviously you're happily engaged at the moment so do you think your age played a big part in knowing what you both wanted?

True, I'm sure it is a mistake for a lot, but then I'm sure it works out for a decent number too! :h:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 33
Suppose :teehee:

If you don't mind me asking, how come things didn't work out? Was it a case of just drifting apart or? Did you talk about marriage etc? Obviously you're happily engaged at the moment so do you think your age played a big part in knowing what you both wanted?

True, I'm sure it is a mistake for a lot, but then I'm sure it works out for a decent number too! :h:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thing is if you're in love you want to tell the world you're in love and getting engaged is a way of doing that.
Reply 34

We wernt ready at 21, hadn't really lived together long enough and wanted to do different things for the next year. I went off travelling while she went on to further education.

We were together for a long time and talked about marriage etc but obviously now I'm so glad it didn't work out and that we didn't get engaged back then.

I personally don't think people should get engaged until they've lived together for a good few years and been through all the ups and downs that living together brings. I don't image there are many 20/21yr olds who have lived with their partners for 3+ years.
Original post by Thomb
Thats rude :colondollar:

sorry supposed to be a pedo joke......:colonhash:
Reply 36
Original post by thefatone
sorry supposed to be a pedo joke......:colonhash:

now then now then now then....
Original post by Reue
We wernt ready at 21, hadn't really lived together long enough and wanted to do different things for the next year. I went off travelling while she went on to further education.

We were together for a long time and talked about marriage etc but obviously now I'm so glad it didn't work out and that we didn't get engaged back then.

I personally don't think people should get engaged until they've lived together for a good few years and been through all the ups and downs that living together brings. I don't image there are many 20/21yr olds who have lived with their partners for 3+ years.

Ah I see :yep:

Yeah it definitely worked out for the best for you :smile:

I agree with you there to be honest. I've lived with my boyfriend for about a year and a half but that's with a couple of other people so it doesn't count :lol: but it's definitely given us a little bit of a taste of what living together properly would be like in some ways.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It can be pretty glamorous if it's a prince or something

Otherwise, it's 'why would you do that yourself?'
Original post by Thomb
now then now then now then....

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) if you know what i mean

Latest