The Student Room Group

30th Mar: Do you leave revision to the last minute?

This week on The Surgery Gemma & Dr Radha are talking about revision. How much revision do you think is enough? Do you think you’ve aced the revision process or are you struggling to focus when exams still feel a while away?

Share your top revision tips and you biggest revision barriers and we’ll do our best to help get you in the zone on Wednesday 30th March at 9pm on BBC Radio 1.

Please note: You can post on this forum anonymously.

Scroll to see replies

Wow I'd be so happy to hear this. I never leave my revision to last minute because it's ridiculous and nothing will enter my head :smile:
During easter i revise for 9 hours .
I still think i need to revise more and get more motivated in order to get my A* 's
The amount of pressure I feel is proportional to how close the exams are.

Right now, I know to get those top grades I need to be studying properly but it is not easy to motivate myself. :redface: so I am just doing bits and pieces and trying to do more and more each day.
Most of my revision takes place at the last minute because the pressure/stress finally hits me and motivates me to cram :colondollar:
I'd revise for a long time when i mean long i mean months. This is because i cannot memorise information in one night or few hours it takes me forever to memorise something
Education and studying is all about memorising and understanding the processes.
I think most students find motivation the hardest thing and i'd agree as well :smile:
I revise for 8- 9 hours or even more during easter and that is how i am going to get my A*.
It would be great if you helped us with motivation.

Much Appreciated x
If I get stuck I stop revision and end up procrastinating for the rest of the day.
Always intend to revise, I've learnt to make revision fun. However other life stressors seem to get in my way, (family emergencies/ dramas at home). Hopefully it will sort :smile:
Original post by nisha.sri
I'd revise for a long time when i mean long i mean months. This is because i cannot memorise information in one night or few hours it takes me forever to memorise something
Education and studying is all about memorising and understanding the processes.
I think most students find motivation the hardest thing and i'd agree as well :smile:
I revise for 8- 9 hours or even more during easter and that is how i am going to get my A*.
It would be great if you helped us with motivation.

Much Appreciated x

8-9 hours per day? Jesus, I feel like I'm doing a solid amount with just 5.
I tend to be a last minute reviser (aka the night before the exams). It works for subjects which are more to do with memorizing such as biology for me, but not subjects that need a greater level of understanding such as physics and chemistry.

I think if you have a goal in mind, and need certain grades to achieve that goal, it can be a great motivator (such as a uni).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by antebellum

Some people do 11-12 :smile:
Some people do 11-12 :smile:

what are your grades and stuff? :eek:
It's a good day for me if I manage to revise for 3/4 hours. I just find the whole process dull, so I don't start it until much later than pretty much everyone else! Luckily, I have an unconditional place for uni so the upcoming exams don't matter...
what are your grades and stuff? :eek:

Bear in mind this is only for easter and my grades are A*and A’s but I want to get all A*’s .What about you?
I do revision scattered throughout the year, more so during holidays, study periods and on the way home from school (about an hour's drive). Relying on last minute revision only is a waste of time, but come exam time I will still revise at every opportunity I get.
Bear in mind this is only for easter and my grades are A*and A’s but I want to get all A*’s .What about you?

GCSE I got 6A*sk, AS 2As 2Bs, hoping for A*AA. Are you in year 13?
Original post by BBC Radio 1
This week on The Surgery Gemma & Dr Radha are talking about revision. How much revision do you think is enough? Do you think you’ve aced the revision process or are you struggling to focus when exams still feel a while away?

Share your top revision tips and you biggest revision barriers and we’ll do our best to help get you in the zone on Wednesday 30th March at 9pm on BBC Radio 1.

As an AS student and due to the new reforms, I have 6 maths exams this year. Over the next 2 weeks (easter) I hope to be hitting 95%+ on every practice paper I do (C1,C2,S1,M1,M2,FP1). I haven't really been revising that hard and I still feel a bit exhausted from school as of now. I think 10 hours of revision per module should put me in a really good position to ace these exams. Which are very conveniently spread out 'just right' to suit revision 'at the last minute', which if you have already done the work, brushes up all uncertainties and keeps the brain in the right frame of mind for success.

The biggest barrier is managing time. As a student you have to sacrifice either social interaction or sleep in order to get revision and homework done. More often than not I get 6-7 hours sleep.

The idea of success is a good motivator. Previous failure with some of my GCSE exams due to being complacent serves well also.

My tip is, if you haven't already started. Start now.
GCSE I got 6A*sk, AS 2As 2Bs, hoping for A*AA. Are you in year 13?

Nope I'm in gcse :smile:

I do 8-9/10 too, I start at 8 am and finish around 6,gives me time to chill out too!
Original post by BBC Radio 1

I started at Easter holidays, just doing an hour per day on a subject of my choice. Get more specific nearer the time of the exams.

Good luck!
The way I revised last year for A Levels was probably the best way of doing it, for me at least :')
For the first time ever I made an actual timetable, splitting my days into 3 x 3 hour sessions. 2 of those would be work, the other would be something more relaxing like seeing friends, walking the dog, watching a film or reading a book. I planned what I would revise each day, and tried to vary the topics - I never spent a whole day doing one subject because I knew I'd find it boring!

I set it up so I had a sort of rota, so for instance I'd do Maths revision on Monday morning, have the afternoon session free, revise some Chemistry in the evening, then the next day I'd have a lie in, spend the afternoon session doing Biology, then do Maths in the evening session.

Over the Easter holidays I blocked out my days using this method and at the start of each week I'd pencil in the topics I needed to get through in each session, sometimes I'd go a bit further and sometimes I'd need another session on a topic but it gave me something to frame my revision around, and I actually stuck to it :')

Good luck to everyone sitting exams this summer!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending