The Student Room Group

Me and my friend like the same guy

There is a guy who i've met a couple of times and who i've spoken to online a little. My friend also met him for the first time when I did, and she really fancied him. She hasn't seen him since then, but has been trying to get me to set them up. I went out with him and some others last night and to be honest, he didn't seem to mention a thing about her, and apparently hasn't contacted her or anything, so i'm not sure if he's interested.. on the other hand, he probably has no idea she's interested in him.
She is crazy about him and talks about him a lot. She wants me to become good friends with him and invite him out with us to do stuff, as she's too scared to ask him directly.
I spoke to him a lot last night and the problem is that I think I kind of like him myself. He is just lovely, and so easy to talk to. Another friend said that he kept looking at me last night, and I admit that I kind of noticed it at times myself...
however ,I could never go there in a million years, knowing that my friend likes him. I have invited him out in a fortnight's time to do somerhing with me, her and a couple of others, and he should be coming. She keeps saying she wants to talk to him but thinks it would look weird ,doesn't know what to say to him etc.

What should I say to her? I now feel awkward because I definitely fancy him too, and I really hope she wont notice...
Tell her to talk to him and see where things go, he may well like her and she can ask him out, if it doesn't work out, you can go after him.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
There is a guy who i've met a couple of times and who i've spoken to online a little. My friend also met him for the first time when I did, and she really fancied him. She hasn't seen him since then, but has been trying to get me to set them up. I went out with him and some others last night and to be honest, he didn't seem to mention a thing about her, and apparently hasn't contacted her or anything, so i'm not sure if he's interested.. on the other hand, he probably has no idea she's interested in him.
She is crazy about him and talks about him a lot. She wants me to become good friends with him and invite him out with us to do stuff, as she's too scared to ask him directly.
I spoke to him a lot last night and the problem is that I think I kind of like him myself. He is just lovely, and so easy to talk to. Another friend said that he kept looking at me last night, and I admit that I kind of noticed it at times myself...
however ,I could never go there in a million years, knowing that my friend likes him. I have invited him out in a fortnight's time to do somerhing with me, her and a couple of others, and he should be coming. She keeps saying she wants to talk to him but thinks it would look weird ,doesn't know what to say to him etc.

What should I say to her? I now feel awkward because I definitely fancy him too, and I really hope she wont notice...

is he a 10/10
Reply 3
Tell her he's got piles.
Reply 4
Original post by Blondie987
Tell her to talk to him and see where things go, he may well like her and she can ask him out, if it doesn't work out, you can go after him.

Thanks, I've told her to just message him and make it clear that she likes him... but she thinks it would be weird because they've only met once. She is almost 30 and I've told her there is no point in playing these kind of games; he won't know she likes him otherwise..

I've mentioned her to him a few times in conversation and he just hasn't reacted at all; hasn't even asked me how she is or anything.

I just don't think it'd be right for me to go after him, if it didn't work out with them ,I would feel like I am betraying her.. :frown:
Reply 5
Original post by PikahBoo
is he a 10/10

I would say so :biggrin:
Thanks, I've told her to just message him and make it clear that she likes him... but she thinks it would be weird because they've only met once. She is almost 30 and I've told her there is no point in playing these kind of games; he won't know she likes him otherwise..

I've mentioned her to him a few times in conversation and he just hasn't reacted at all; hasn't even asked me how she is or anything.

I just don't think it'd be right for me to go after him, if it didn't work out with them ,I would feel like I am betraying her.. :frown:

At that age, she needs to face up to the challenge tbh, I don't know why it would be weird, all she needs to ask is if he'd want to go for a coffee as she enjoyed talking to him and don't get the chance to get to know him in the group.

I understand you might feel a bit bad but if it did end up that he wanted to go out with you and you with him, she can't stand in your way. All the more reason for her to find out now before she becomes further infatuated

It's perfectly normal for two friends to have crushes who are completely out of reach, but not crushes who are in reach. Be very careful here because this could cause a big fall-out between the two of you over a guy!

You need to sit down and decide whether the guy or your best friend is more important to you. If it's the guy, then you tell your friend about it and (hopefully) she'll feel guilty about chasing after him once she understands your feelings and won't put you in an uncomfortable position. If it's your friend, then you keep your feelings to yourself and let her chase him. Just be aware that if they work out then you might have to put up with it for a long time!
This is tricky. On one hand, you don't want to betray your friend. On the other - you want him for yourself. Are you really serious for this guy? Do you see a future? Will your friend forgive you if you go out with him? If you answered yes to the first two, it does not matter about number 3. Talk to him. However, if you are kind of like, i don't really care either way, do the bigger thing and talk to him about your friend. If it doesn't work out with her and him, then too bad for her, but that does not mean you should ruin a chance of you too being together.
But first... talk to your friend. And if she is mad at you over this, you've got to ask yourself... how good a friend is she really?
Reply 9
Original post by Blondie987
At that age, she needs to face up to the challenge tbh, I don't know why it would be weird, all she needs to ask is if he'd want to go for a coffee as she enjoyed talking to him and don't get the chance to get to know him in the group.

I understand you might feel a bit bad but if it did end up that he wanted to go out with you and you with him, she can't stand in your way. All the more reason for her to find out now before she becomes further infatuated

Yes,I agree with you.. I think I will tell her to do that ,as the longer she leaves it, the worse it will be... she needs to go for it while he's single.

Yeah, she talks about him all the time and is very into him... I just feel two-faced giving her advice about him and stuff because there was definitely chemistry between me and him last night :frown:

I will tell her to ask him, as you've suggested ,thanks :smile:
Yes,I agree with you.. I think I will tell her to do that ,as the longer she leaves it, the worse it will be... she needs to go for it while he's single.

Yeah, she talks about him all the time and is very into him... I just feel two-faced giving her advice about him and stuff because there was definitely chemistry between me and him last night :frown:

I will tell her to ask him, as you've suggested ,thanks :smile:

No problem, don't worry about it, she's not asking him to marry her, even if they do need up going out, it may not even work out and don't be afraid to make your move if he is available and not interested in your friend. It doesn't make you a bad friend and if you have homesites it could work out for you :smile:
Thanks for the other replies... this girl is a very good friend of mine, we talk every day and see each other pretty much every weekend. We've been there for each other so much, and she's always helped me out with guy issues in the past. She's had a hard time with guys and I know she really wants to meet someone. She is approaching 30 and feels that she will never meet anybody.. I have to put her first. if it doesn't work out with them and then she moves on from him, at that point I will then tell her that I liked him (providing I still do at that point)!

Admittedly, I don't even know the guy well. It was just that I fancied him instantly and found him so lovely and easy to talk to, and that he was glancing at me a lot and flirting a little...
Threesome?
Original post by harinimnida
Threesome?

How did I know that was coming... haha... not in a million years! She's one of my best friends!
How did I know that was coming... haha... not in a million years! She's one of my best friends!

all the more reason, strengthen the bond.
Fight?

Winner gets him. :wink:
Flip a coin. :tongue:
Thanks for the other replies... this girl is a very good friend of mine, we talk every day and see each other pretty much every weekend. We've been there for each other so much, and she's always helped me out with guy issues in the past. She's had a hard time with guys and I know she really wants to meet someone. She is approaching 30 and feels that she will never meet anybody.. I have to put her first. if it doesn't work out with them and then she moves on from him, at that point I will then tell her that I liked him (providing I still do at that point)!

Admittedly, I don't even know the guy well. It was just that I fancied him instantly and found him so lovely and easy to talk to, and that he was glancing at me a lot and flirting a little...

Hmm the only thing i would say about doing this, is that if you like the guy as well but they start dating, will you be okay with that? It sounds like you're assuming that they wont hit it off, but they have only met once so you never know.
Original post by LiquidGold
Hmm the only thing i would say about doing this, is that if you like the guy as well but they start dating, will you be okay with that? It sounds like you're assuming that they wont hit it off, but they have only met once so you never know.

Yes I think I would be ok with it :smile: I wouldn't say I've got strong feelings for him or anything, and I'm still not over someone else tbh...
Yes you are right, it's probably just that they don't know each other enough, I'm sure once they talk more then hopefully it will work :smile:
A lot of people like me . . . I can't say I'm surprised. Carry on, ladies. :u:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending