The Student Room Group

Need some advice.

So...
I'm an aspiring medical student and it had been very much my passion from a young age. However, right now, i am depressed - quite seriously. I face a dilemma.

Either a) I go to the GP but risk the depression showing up on my medical records and therefore get denied from university.
b) I don't go the GP and risk my grades dropping and, therefore, i don't get into medical school.

I honestly have no clue what to do right now :/
Go to the GP. Get help.
Universities cannot discriminate against anyone for medical reasons.
Your focus for the moment is getting support and getting better. Worries about university can wait.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
So...
I'm an aspiring medical student and it had been very much my passion from a young age. However, right now, i am depressed - quite seriously. I face a dilemma.

Either a) I go to the GP but risk the depression showing up on my medical records and therefore get denied from university.
b) I don't go the GP and risk my grades dropping and, therefore, i don't get into medical school.

I honestly have no clue what to do right now :/

You will absoutely NOT GET DENIED from uni! No university can deny you or discriminate against you because of health conditions like depression. Infact they are expected to give you support (look into dsa and anti-discrimination laws). They also don't need to see your medical records anyway. Even if it is on your medical records they will have no idea unless you tell them.

Go to your gp and get yourself some help. I suggest you look at mind.org and other sites for mental health problems to give you some info and advice. I also suggest you write everything down for your appt to make it easier.

Best wishes. I developed depression just before uni and know it's difficult, but also that it gets better. :hug:
It's more common than you think.

They would only reject you (assuming you get the grades) if they believe you can't cope. Not just because you have depression.
If you can, seeing your GP would be the best option. The med school will only not let you do it if they believe you're not fit to handle it and would be a danger to yourself or your patients- this would be far more likely to happen if you weren't receiving the help you needed. The help would also mean you'd do better in exams etc to get in and also while you're there, so it works both ways. They can't discriminate against you just for having depression, a lot of people there will have and probably some of your tutors and people too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Get yourself treatment and support. When you apply to medical school you get a fitness to practice form and you can include health problems/disabilities there and whether you need any additional funding/resources to help you or if it's something already well managed. There will be help available throughout medical school and through your deanery and occupational health as a doctor.

Take care of yourself and good luck with your plans for the future.

Quick Reply

Latest