The Student Room Group

What razor to use? - Teenager

I dont know if I am posting it in the right section but here it is... :biggrin:
I am 16 and I have a reasonably dark moustache and a visible amount of hair on my cheeks, chin and neck. I want to start shaving but the problem is I have some spots on my cheeks, which is making the decision of 'which razor to buy- electric, double-edged or the normal manual one' harder. ::s-smilie:
So can anyone help me this problem - suggesting a razor(type) for a 16yo with spots.
Thanks. :smile:

Scroll to see replies

I find that the sensitivity of the skin has a part to play, with sensitive skin I find an electric shaver is better :smile:
I have acne on my cheeks/my face/ my life.. and hairs growing on my cheek... I don't shave them because idgaf about my appearance (which is bad)....but when I do I use a single-bladed razor so that it doesn't irritate the spots as much. Electric and multipled bladed razors irritate the skin. For your moustache (assuming you don't have spots there) stick to trimming with an electric razor :smile:
Duct tape
Reply 4
Original post by Someboady
I have acne on my cheeks/my face/ my life.. and hairs growing on my cheek... I don't shave them because idgaf about my appearance (which is bad)....but when I do I use a single-bladed razor so that it doesn't irritate the spots as much. Electric and multipled bladed razors irritate the skin. For your moustache (assuming you don't have spots there) stick to trimming with an electric razor :smile:

So something like this?
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
Duct tape

:lolz:
So something like this?

Here's a post I made a few years back about this:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1529648&page=3&p=29581752#post29581752

It takes a bit of time, effort and in terms of the initial investment, money (although it is much cheaper in the long run) to start shaving with a brush, cream/soap and double edged safety razor, but it is much better in terms of the quality of shave and in terms of how it is for your skin. I used to have sensitive skin problems with multiblade Gillette style razors and foam that came out of a can but with a double edge I find shaving a joy and my skin can survive daily shaving and look great with no rash.
Reply 7
I use lady razors
Reply 8
Original post by MagicNMedicine
Here's a post I made a few years back about this:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1529648&page=3&p=29581752#post29581752

It takes a bit of time, effort and in terms of the initial investment, money (although it is much cheaper in the long run) to start shaving with a brush, cream/soap and double edged safety razor, but it is much better in terms of the quality of shave and in terms of how it is for your skin. I used to have sensitive skin problems with multiblade Gillette style razors and foam that came out of a can but with a double edge I find shaving a joy and my skin can survive daily shaving and look great with no rash.

That was a really useful article. Really thankful to you :lol:
But is it good for young people - thin and long facial hair unlike thick stubble which people usually use it for?
Reply 9
Here's a post I made a few years back about this:http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1529648&page=3&p=29581752#post29581752It takes a bit of time, effort and in terms of the initial investment, money (although it is much cheaper in the long run) to start shaving with a brush, cream/soap and double edged safety razor, but it is much better in terms of the quality of shave and in terms of how it is for your skin. I used to have sensitive skin problems with multiblade Gillette style razors and foam that came out of a can but with a double edge I find shaving a joy and my skin can survive daily shaving and look great with no rash.
Original post by Someboady
Do you mind telling me what razors did you use and what type of facial hair did you have when you used them?

Reply 10
BIC!
Original post by Thomb
BIC!

?
Is that meant to be sarcastic? :lol:
Reply 12
?
Is that meant to be sarcastic? :lol:

No they said a single blade razor I thought a Bic! is a single blade razor thats all.
Here's a post I made a few years back about this...

Why do you rate Merkur over the other manufacturers?
Original post by TheThiefOfBagdad
Why do you rate Merkur over the other manufacturers?

I have a couple of Merkur razors which are very good but it's not the only good razor, Edwin Jagger for instance also makes good ones.
Electric is easier if you have spots but want to get a closer shave imo
That was a really useful article. Really thankful to you :lol:
But is it good for young people - thin and long facial hair unlike thick stubble which people usually use it for?

Yes its fine for them as well, the best thing about it for me is that a quality shaving set up is kinder on the skin. You just need to take some time and practice to get the hang of how to use them, but there are lots of guides online. And also it makes shaving fun!
After a bit if research, I am planning on buying an Edwin Jagger DE89 because apparently it is good for beginners as it is mild and forgiving and not aggressive.What do you think about it if anyone has used it?
I don't know that but Edwin Jaggers are good so sounds good.

Make sure you get a good brush (I recommend the men-u synthetic brush, its been easily teh best I've had. Cheaper ones or boar hair ones just don't seem to lather that well for me) and also some good cream or soap. I like the Taylor of Old Bond Street or Geo F Trumper ones (the TOBS sensitive skin cream is great if you have a bowl to mix it up in, really nice lather and good for your skin). Also Tabac soap is great for getting a good lather although some people don't like the smell.
I dont know if I am posting it in the right section but here it is... :biggrin:
I am 16 and I have a reasonably dark moustache and a visible amount of hair on my cheeks, chin and neck. I want to start shaving but the problem is I have some spots on my cheeks, which is making the decision of 'which razor to buy- electric, double-edged or the normal manual one' harder. ::s-smilie:
So can anyone help me this problem - suggesting a razor(type) for a 16yo with spots.
Thanks. :smile:

When I was your age my parents bought me a battery powered electric shaver. All it succeeded in doing was pulling the hairs out and irritating my skin.

I asked them to get me a manual razor and I've never used anything since. I tend to use three bladed ones, a mixture of replaceable heads and disposable ones - whichever is cheap at the time of purchase. If possible I buy something branded like Gillette rather than supermarket own brand, although I am currently using Sainsburys triple bladed ones and they're fine.

The main thing that avoids skin irritation is technique rather than the razor. You need to ensure that the hair is soft by washing it repeatedly before shaving. When rising afterwards use cold water never warm or hot. When drying, dab the towel on your face, never rub it. Follow these three rules and you'll probably be fine.

Seeing as you also have spots then I'd doubly recommend a manual razor as you can easily avoid them.

Quick Reply

Latest