The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by MrMackyTv
Update 24/03/16

Today wasn't that good despite it being the last day of term.

Good news:

I did really good in the Maths test - I got 93% (67/72) which has got my average up from 53% at the start of the year to 80%! This is really good in terms of improvement because I did set an aim of getting at least 80% or more in the test so I am happy with a 80% average. I just now need to revise for the mocks which is going to be way harder than topic tests (obviously) so I need to start memorising formulas and hopefully I should be able to do well.

Bad news:

I got a D in my French writing exam so definitely resitting it as that is not good enough - I only had 4 days to memorise anyway so that sucks as well. All I can do now is send my re-re do (lol) of Q3+4 to Miss so she can mark it and send it back so I can memorise over easter. Hopefully she has a scanner so she can just print it off and scan it and send it back, if not, then I will have to spend a lot of time typing all that up which will suck.

I just did 1 hour of Chemistry notes -aiming to finish this before next week Wednesday if I am consistent this week and throughout Easter, there is no more time to mess about and procrastinate - I have to do this! Next week is going to be extremely busy with a lot of Easter revision going on and less games. I can probably play more games after I do my exams which will all be finished by June (I have my French speaking in June) then that's it!

I am actually nervous - only one term left then that's it - year 10 is over and year 11 is creepin' up with GCSEs in the summer. Everything counts now so I need to do the best as I can now so I won't be struggling next year - that's the plan :smile:

Congrats with the Maths exam, was it based on the new spec specimen papers or is it the Year 11 spec? Sorry to hear about the Grade D in French writing controlled assessment, having just 4 days to memorise it is not a simple task and going to bed late.

Personally, I'm not getting my results until next term for some odd reason so I have to play the waiting game for now. Hopefully the results looks good as I really need to secure Grade Bs and above by the end of Year 10. Speaking of having only one term left, I'm already feeling nervous about it as time flies. I'm still without a proper/decent Maths teacher and apparently my school has finally sacked my replacement History teacher (who taught the other History class).
Original post by JTran38
Congrats with the Maths exam, was it based on the new spec specimen papers or is it the Year 11 spec? Sorry to hear about the Grade D in French writing controlled assessment, having just 4 days to memorise it is not a simple task and going to bed late.

Personally, I'm not getting my results until next term for some odd reason so I have to play the waiting game for now. Hopefully the results looks good as I really need to secure Grade Bs and above by the end of Year 10. Speaking of having only one term left, I'm already feeling nervous about it as time flies. I'm still without a proper/decent Maths teacher and apparently my school has finally sacked my replacement History teacher (who taught the other History class).

The maths department make their own exams and revision booklets, they don't really use past papers/specimen papers because I guess they know what sort of difficulty of the questions might come up.

It isn't easy to memorise a 500+ word essay, in French, within 4 days. I went to bed so late on those days and I knew the day before the test I couldn't do it. Last night was the first time I got any proper sleep at all, I got a 92% sleep efficiency last night compared to the low 80% efficiency I was getting on late nights (yeah I have a sleep app lol (it's actually really cool - I recommend it to observe your sleeping patterns and etc, it also naturally wakes you up)).

It's shame you have to wait until next term to get results - that is going to really make you even more desperate to know what you got.

Glad to hear the History teacher's gone. Sounds like a pain - and the Maths teacher. It is really bad that this happens to you, especially in the most crucial years such as year 10 as that can really disrupt your learning.

I am also nervous as time flies, I feel like time is just passing a lot quicker than when I was younger. It's quite shocking to hear a teacher tell you that you only have a year and a few weeks left - however it gives you that confidence and inspiration to work hard as we are approaching the end of year 10 and reaching year 11. If we roll up our sleeves, keep our heads down and work hard, then there is no doubt we can't do well. Hopefully you get that secure B you are looking for in your subjects :smile:
Reply 82
The maths department make their own exams and revision booklets, they don't really use past papers/specimen papers because I guess they know what sort of difficulty of the questions might come up.

It isn't easy to memorise a 500+ word essay, in French, within 4 days. I went to bed so late on those days and I knew the day before the test I couldn't do it. Last night was the first time I got any proper sleep at all, I got a 92% sleep efficiency last night compared to the low 80% efficiency I was getting on late nights (yeah I have a sleep app lol (it's actually really cool - I recommend it to observe your sleeping patterns and etc, it also naturally wakes you up)).

It's shame you have to wait until next term to get results - that is going to really make you even more desperate to know what you got.

Glad to hear the History teacher's gone. Sounds like a pain - and the Maths teacher. It is really bad that this happens to you, especially in the most crucial years such as year 10 as that can really disrupt your learning.

I am also nervous as time flies, I feel like time is just passing a lot quicker than when I was younger. It's quite shocking to hear a teacher tell you that you only have a year and a few weeks left - however it gives you that confidence and inspiration to work hard as we are approaching the end of year 10 and reaching year 11. If we roll up our sleeves, keep our heads down and work hard, then there is no doubt we can't do well. Hopefully you get that secure B you are looking for in your subjects :smile:

I hope so! Hopefully my school will get us a better History teacher. I would love to have a sleep app but tbh I don't know exactly how it works. :P Recently, I haven't had any problems although occasionally I can get distracted in the middle of the night.
[QUOTE=MrMackyTv;63631257]Update 24/03/16

Today wasn't that good despite it being the last day of term.

Good news:

I did really good in the Maths test - I got 93% (67/72) which has got my average up from 53% at the start of the year to 80%! This is really good in terms of improvement because I did set an aim of getting at least 80% or more in the test so I am happy with a 80% average. I just now need to revise for the mocks which is going to be way harder than topic tests (obviously) so I need to start memorising formulas and hopefully I should be able to do well.

Bad news:

I got a D in my French writing exam so definitely resitting it as that is not good enough - I only had 4 days to memorise anyway so that sucks as well. All I can do now is send my re-re do (lol) of Q3+4 to Miss so she can mark it and send it back so I can memorise over easter. Hopefully she has a scanner so she can just print it off and scan it and send it back, if not, then I will have to spend a lot of time typing all that up which will suck.

I just did 1 hour of Chemistry notes -aiming to finish this before next week Wednesday if I am consistent this week and throughout Easter, there is no more time to mess about and procrastinate - I have to do this! Next week is going to be extremely busy with a lot of Easter revision going on and less games. I can probably play more games after I do my exams which will all be finished by June (I have my French speaking in June) then that's it!

I am actually nervous - only one term left then that's it - year 10 is over and year 11 is creepin' up with GCSEs in the summer. Everything counts now so I need to do the best as I can now so I won't be struggling next year - that's the plan :smile:
Congrats on your maths, that's a great result!
I always found with French that the writing was much more difficult to get a good grade on as everything has to be totally accurate whereas in speaking if you mumble a word or two then it doesn't matter.
I need to restart all my science notes as I've written some and it is literally the spec from the aqa website and it doesn't focus on my strengths and weaknesses. I'm away all of next week so the last week will be hard work.
Year 10 definitely went much quicker than all the other years so far. Partly due to enjoyment having dropped the subjects you are less keen on and partly due tothe continued stress throughout.
Which sleep app do you use?
Original post by Lemur14
Congrats on your maths, that's a great result!
I always found with French that the writing was much more difficult to get a good grade on as everything has to be totally accurate whereas in speaking if you mumble a word or two then it doesn't matter.
I need to restart all my science notes as I've written some and it is literally the spec from the aqa website and it doesn't focus on my strengths and weaknesses. I'm away all of next week so the last week will be hard work.
Year 10 definitely went much quicker than all the other years so far. Partly due to enjoyment having dropped the subjects you are less keen on and partly due tothe continued stress throughout.
Which sleep app do you use?

Ooohhh we have a late sleeper! Join TSR at night! :tongue:

Thanks a lot for that - I did work hard for Maths but I do think I maybe pushed myself a bit too much... but it was worth it because that's a grade 9!

That is so true - and not only that but for all subjects with controlled assessments it is too easy to cheat. I am glad they are getting rid of it and just do linear because controlled assessments are not working (well at my school).

Use the Easter as time to revise and not to relax - literally. This is what we will be doing next year and this is what I have to do now if I want to do good in my year 10 mocks. Be realistic if you're going to plan a study timetable and also don't have late nights like me!

I agree - the whole feeling about dropping subjects you don't like feels great. So when you are doing the subjects you like it seems like time flies. As you age your life goes by quicker actually - it is mathematically proved. Think about it, when you were 1, you have lived 1/1 of your life, when you were 2 you have lived 1/2 of your life so it will be pass quicker than when you were one and so on... until about our age we have lived 1/15 of our life which is smaller than 1/2 meaning our age time passes faster than when we were 2. I think that's how you explain it anyways!

The sleep app is called Sleep Better. It is really good I do recommend - it doesn't help sleep but it naturally wakes you up during a period of light sleep (so it is not as intrusive). It also tells you how efficiently you sleep and you can write down dream notes to keep records of dreams lol. It's nice though.
Ooohhh we have a late sleeper! Join TSR at night! :tongue:

Thanks a lot for that - I did work hard for Maths but I do think I maybe pushed myself a bit too much... but it was worth it because that's a grade 9!

That is so true - and not only that but for all subjects with controlled assessments it is too easy to cheat. I am glad they are getting rid of it and just do linear because controlled assessments are not working (well at my school).

Use the Easter as time to revise and not to relax - literally. This is what we will be doing next year and this is what I have to do now if I want to do good in my year 10 mocks. Be realistic if you're going to plan a study timetable and also don't have late nights like me!

I agree - the whole feeling about dropping subjects you don't like feels great. So when you are doing the subjects you like it seems like time flies. As you age your life goes by quicker actually - it is mathematically proved. Think about it, when you were 1, you have lived 1/1 of your life, when you were 2 you have lived 1/2 of your life so it will be pass quicker than when you were one and so on... until about our age we have lived 1/15 of our life which is smaller than 1/2 meaning our age time passes faster than when we were 2. I think that's how you explain it anyways!

The sleep app is called Sleep Better. It is really good I do recommend - it doesn't help sleep but it naturally wakes you up during a period of light sleep (so it is not as intrusive). It also tells you how efficiently you sleep and you can write down dream notes to keep records of dreams lol. It's nice though.

I'm going away for the best part of a week which will be my relaxing and then I'll work solid for the second week to catch up.
Controlled assessment at our school is not that easy to cheat on. In computing etc. you obviously have the internet which you can search things up on but in most subjects then the majority of it is done in school and anything that doesn't look like our work has to be rewritten.
I'm not generally allowed on my laptop past 9:30 but I have my tablet which I can go on after that. I generally am a late sleeper, somewhere between 22:30 and 2 is normal depending on how tired I am.
We don't have mock weeks in the same way as you and @JTran38 do so there's less of a stress to revise. We will have science mocks and also the actual exams for RS and stats. We also have a history mock straight after Easter but I've done most of my notes for that already.
I get the theory that time goes faster as you get older but I think in this case the saying time flies when you're having fun fits better :smile:
I'll take a look at the sleep app later. I like the idea of having a sleep efficiency %. It might motivate me to try and sleep quicker when I'm tired as well :smile:
Reply 86
Original post by Lemur14
I'm going away for the best part of a week which will be my relaxing and then I'll work solid for the second week to catch up.
Controlled assessment at our school is not that easy to cheat on. In computing etc. you obviously have the internet which you can search things up on but in most subjects then the majority of it is done in school and anything that doesn't look like our work has to be rewritten.
I'm not generally allowed on my laptop past 9:30 but I have my tablet which I can go on after that. I generally am a late sleeper, somewhere between 22:30 and 2 is normal depending on how tired I am.
We don't have mock weeks in the same way as you and @JTran38 do so there's less of a stress to revise. We will have science mocks and also the actual exams for RS and stats. We also have a history mock straight after Easter but I've done most of my notes for that already.
I get the theory that time goes faster as you get older but I think in this case the saying time flies when you're having fun fits better :smile:
I'll take a look at the sleep app later. I like the idea of having a sleep efficiency %. It might motivate me to try and sleep quicker when I'm tired as well :smile:

Unlucky that @MrMackyTv and I both have another mock exam due soon. I'm certain to get my History revision notes on the Cold War done but I need to get started on Cuba as we're gonna have a proper History mock pretty soon after we complete stuff on Vietnam.
Original post by JTran38
Unlucky that @MrMackyTv and I both have another mock exam due soon. I'm certain to get my History revision notes on the Cold War done but I need to get started on Cuba as we're gonna have a proper History mock pretty soon after we complete stuff on Vietnam.

We only really have proper mocks when we finish a topic or in November/February of year 11. I have a history mock on International Relations Key question 2 and 3 after Easter. I've done my notes for key question 3 though so it's just a case of completely key question 2. Hopefully I can do that quite quickly once I'm back from holiday.
Reply 88
Original post by Lemur14
We only really have proper mocks when we finish a topic or in November/February of year 11. I have a history mock on International Relations Key question 2 and 3 after Easter. I've done my notes for key question 3 though so it's just a case of completely key question 2. Hopefully I can do that quite quickly once I'm back from holiday.

For me, it's a routine termly assessment tbh but I'm unsure if they'll make us do it in the hall again and thus treat it as a mock exam.
Original post by Lemur14

Sounds like your teachers can actually tell the difference between legitimate work and illegitimate work.

Same here unless I have a super important exam coming up and it requires me using a computer.

Your mocks sounds nice, they are spread out a bit but I guess then it takes longer for them to go away. The week of mocks is hectic for me but as soon as it's over, it's over and it feels good :smile:

I agree with that, I watched a video on why time flies as we have fun. It's because we don't pay attention to time when we have fun but when we are bored we do - therefore means time goes a lot faster.

Same here, I actually go to sleep a lot quicker than I did before the app because nothing was there to motivate me into sleeping.
Update 25/03/16

I think that's the first time in a while I forgot to do updates. Not much happened yesterday and not much will happen this weekend as I am not going to be doing work because of my Mom's birthday tomorrow and people are coming over and etc. Find it hard to do work when we have guests so I won't be giving you guys another update until Monday. Hopefully I should be able to finish the Chemistry and Biology notes by the end of next week, if not, then I am in big trouble!
Hi,
I'm ORANGE because that's my favourite colour and my favourite fruit I'm doing:
· GCSE English Language-AQA· GCSE English Literature-AQA· GCSE Religious Studies-EDExcel · GCSE Mathematics-edexcel · (Separate Sciences) · GCSE Biology-OCR GATEWAY GCSE Chemistry-OCR GATEWAY GCSE Physics-OCR GATEWAY B · GCSE ChildDevelopment-CACHE LEVEL GCSE Health andSocial Care-OCR
Original post by orangestar123
Hi,
I'm ORANGE because that's my favourite colour and my favourite fruit I'm doing:
· GCSE English Language-AQA· GCSE English Literature-AQA· GCSE Religious Studies-EDExcel · GCSE Mathematics-edexcel · (Separate Sciences) · GCSE Biology-OCR GATEWAY GCSE Chemistry-OCR GATEWAY GCSE Physics-OCR GATEWAY B · GCSE ChildDevelopment-CACHE LEVEL GCSE Health andSocial Care-OCR

Hi! Are you in year 10 as well or year 11?
Update 30/03/3016

Sorry I haven't done an update in a while - tomorrow I will share the study planner for this week and actually get on with some work. I have missed out on a lot, I will go through all of that in tomorrow's update. Oh and happy Easter everyone! (bit late lol)
Hi! Are you in year 10 as well or year 11?

I'm in Year 10. My ambition is to get at least one 9 in Maths. ANy tips?
Original post by orangestar123
I'm in Year 10. My ambition is to get at least one 9 in Maths. ANy tips?

Practice practice practice. That's the only way you can revise for Maths and be prepared for exam questions. If you practice the hard questions (and get it correct, even after a few times) there's no doubt you can get a 9. I would also advise going back to basics like subtraction, addition etc because some people lose their skill in it if they don't practice it regularly (me). Hope that helps :smile:
Update 31/03/2016

So today was fairly quiet and relaxed. I went to the dentist today for a check-up (really hate dentists) - I just hate it when they poke around your mouth and breathe so heavy in your face - it's just discomforting.

Besides that - the plan for the rest of this week is:

Friday:

4 hours of studying on that day - so it will be busy. Early start - hopefully go for a jog - maybe an americano or simple instant coffee.

9:00AM - Chemistry
10:00AM - Biology
11:00AM - Biology
-----------------------------------
1h break
1:00PM - Biology

- Check emails for any reply from French teacher about my re-do of one question, if she doesn't reply please please please start revising on that day....

Saturday:

Later start - I can wake up a bit later if I want and have a jog - if I feel tired then maybe have some coffee again or just for the fun of it (sorry I love coffee - I'm not addicted - I actually haven't had it for ages (only really use it if it's needed or if I feel like it :smile:))

10:00AM - Maths
11:00AM - History
1h break
1:00PM - History

- Hopefully she replies before this day or else I will be really upset because she said she will look at her email during the holidays. If she doesn't carry on memorising as usual and just memorise the answer to the question you wanted her to mark.

Sunday:

Later start - coffeeeeee - jog - get ready.

10:00AM - Chemistry
11:00AM - Chemistry
1h break

- Same thing again with French. Keep memorising. Next week will be dedicated for French fully. I am going to do a question a day and test myself on the whole thing after I learn one answer to one of the questions. Hopefully (fingers crossed) I will get that B that I want - Miss said I can get an A though... that's why I want her to send me feedback on my re-do!!!!

I actually feel much more happier than I have ever felt since Christmas - I've been so depressed because these bloody exams are stressing me out (still is but not as much). I am getting more sleep, have family members around for Easter, more time to play my video games again and just relax - I actually have a life again (it's gonna go doe lol)!

This week is gonna be busy but next week I better pull up my socks, get my head down and work hard because next week is gonna be a bumpy ride.

Ummm.... is this blog too long? I have a feeling half of the people reading this just skim read all of this lol :smile: don't blame you - I do it as well! :tongue:
Update 31/03/2016

So today was fairly quiet and relaxed. I went to the dentist today for a check-up (really hate dentists) - I just hate it when they poke around your mouth and breathe so heavy in your face - it's just discomforting.

Besides that - the plan for the rest of this week is:

Friday:

4 hours of studying on that day - so it will be busy. Early start - hopefully go for a jog - maybe an americano or simple instant coffee.

9:00AM - Chemistry
10:00AM - Biology
11:00AM - Biology
1h break

- Check emails for any reply from French teacher about my re-do of one question, if she doesn't reply please please please start revising on that day....

Saturday:

Later start - I can wake up a bit later if I want and have a jog - if I feel tired then maybe have some coffee again or just for the fun of it (sorry I love coffee - I'm not addicted - I actually haven't had it for ages (only really use it if it's needed or if I feel like it :smile:))

10:00AM - Maths
11:00AM - History
1h break
1:00PM - History

- Hopefully she replies before this day or else I will be really upset because she said she will look at her email during the holidays. If she doesn't carry on memorising as usual and just memorise the answer to the question you wanted her to mark.

Sunday:

Later start - coffeeeeee - jog - get ready.

10:00AM - Chemistry
11:00AM - Chemistry
1h break

- Same thing again with French. Keep memorising. Next week will be dedicated for French fully. I am going to do a question a day and test myself on the whole thing after I learn one answer to one of the questions. Hopefully (fingers crossed) I will get that B that I want - Miss said I can get an A though... that's why I want her to send me feedback on my re-do!!!!

I actually feel much more happier than I have ever felt since Christmas - I've been so depressed because these bloody exams are stressing me out (still is but not as much). I am getting more sleep, have family members around for Easter, more time to play my video games again and just relax - I actually have a life again (it's gonna go doe lol)!

This week is gonna be busy but next week I better pull up my socks, get my head down and work hard because next week is gonna be a bumpy ride.

Ummm.... is this blog too long? I have a feeling half of the people reading this just skim read all of this lol :smile: don't blame you - I do it as well! :tongue:

Like omg well done speechless :smile:
Please could you check out my blog thank you x
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3934631
How would you revise for the new gcse english- i also want a 7/8/ or 9, but its really difficult and reallly hard. TIPS PLZ
Update 01/04/2016

Happy April Fools Day everyone, I hope you are all alive and haven't been scared to death on this wonderful day. I am beating myself up today because:

1) Got to go to a wedding tomorrow - which means I have to get the work done quickly in the morning - which is going to be a bit tight for me but I will try.
2) Had a haircut today and it took nearly half of the day for my Mum to do shopping - she went to 3 supermarkets when she could have went to one and just did the shopping in there but no - she wants a bargain... mothers...
3) I will be visiting my placement for work experience on Monday next week instead of Tuesday so change of plans. I might not get a lot done on that day since I am visiting - it might be quick and short though - I could maybe do a bit of shopping in town myself (which I know will only take 10 minutes because my Mum takes ages).

So that means... I got no work done today - zero - zelch - nothing.... that's sad. Well that means more catchup for me! Starting to feel the depressed again because of all this work :frown: I'm going to try and put a smile on my face and push through it like a champ. See you lot tomorrow! :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending