The Student Room Group

Parents won't let me study at london because of expense :(

Hi guys.

Quite upset that I don't even get a choice to select a uni I want to go to, however I do understand because my parents are struggling financially .. I had an interview at UCL and had been given an offer which I really want to take up but the living costs etc is just too much. Is there anything I can do about it? How likely is it that I will be given a scholarship if I excelled my grade offer.? Thanks.
It's difficult to comment on whether you'll get a scholarship. Are they aware that if you live in England, you get a higher loan if you choose to study in London?
Reply 2
Original post by Tiger Rag
It's difficult to comment on whether you'll get a scholarship. Are they aware that if you live in England, you get a higher loan if you choose to study in London?

I'm from Wales & yes thats true
As a UCL grad, it's not actually that expensive in comparison to other city universities and they give out (me included) hardship fund if you come from low income and wouldn't be able to study in London without financial help.
Original post by Noodlzzz
As a UCL grad, it's not actually that expensive in comparison to other city universities

I studied at Middlesex (which is NW London) and found the same. Rent is generally more expensive; but that's it.
Have you done the calculations yourself? If you genuinely can't afford it then sometimes that's just the way things go.

However, if you're willing to work a summer/holiday/part time job to support yourself, that may make up the difference?

May depend on just how much you want it.
Original post by aladdin818
Hi guys.

Quite upset that I don't even get a choice to select a uni I want to go to, however I do understand because my parents are struggling financially .. I had an interview at UCL and had been given an offer which I really want to take up but the living costs etc is just too much. Is there anything I can do about it? How likely is it that I will be given a scholarship if I excelled my grade offer.? Thanks.

UCL is definitely worth the cost for the education and international prestige + London nightlife it offers :smile:
Reply 7
It shouldn't make a difference what your parents think, you get a student loan
Rent in London is a lot more expensive than many other places. Try to work out what loan amount you will get - my child's loan wasn't enough to pay his rent - and look at student rents for UCL accommodation and for private rental. UCL website has details of bursaries and scholarships, so have a good look through them.
Reply 9
Original post by Noodlzzz
As a UCL grad, it's not actually that expensive in comparison to other city universities and they give out (me included) hardship fund if you come from low income and wouldn't be able to study in London without financial help.

The thing is I don't come from a low income family. For the past 2 years I have been attending an independent college - although it wasn't easy to rack up the money and give, I had to work at the family business when it go near to the start of term to pay for my college fees with the help of my parents of course. I am more than willing to work whilst studying for the next 4 years.

Original post by XxKingSniprxX
UCL is definitely worth the cost for the education and international prestige + London nightlife it offers :smile:

Yeah I think so too. It would be a shame to pass up an offer like this so I just don't know what to do:/

Original post by JW22
It shouldn't make a difference what your parents think, you get a student loan

It's not so much what my parents think but how capable they are financially supporting me for the next 4-5 years for my degree. Student loan will only do me so much.

Original post by cheshiremum
Rent in London is a lot more expensive than many other places. Try to work out what loan amount you will get - my child's loan wasn't enough to pay his rent - and look at student rents for UCL accommodation and for private rental. UCL website has details of bursaries and scholarships, so have a good look through them.

I will definitely have a look :smile: How would I work that out? Thank you for replying.
Original post by aladdin818

I will definitely have a look :smile: How would I work that out? Thank you for replying.

https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-calculator
should give you a good idea. THere's a max household income - somewhere between £65k and £70k I think - above which the maintenance loan is capped for 2016-17 at £5,300 for students studying in London not living at home. I htink you'd struggle to find anywhere to live renting privately for less than £150 pppw (but take a look), plus gas, elec, broadband, and maybe water. If it isn't uni owned accommodation you'll also have to pay for 52 weeks in the year.

Quick Reply

Latest