The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

Is it worth it going to King's College?

I'm debating about whether to firm King's or Warwick. As well as the expenses of London, everyone tells me I should go to a campus uni. However, will my graduate prospects be higher if I went to King's over Warwick? Or is Warwick considered just as prestigious ?

Scroll to see replies

I'm a KCL grad,loved it!
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by queen-bee
I'm a KCL grad,loved it!

Oh really! What did you read and where did you stay for accommodation?
Original post by zahraxxx
Oh really! What did you read and where did you stay for accommodation?

Biomed and I stayed at our family home,so didn't move out to live in student accommodation
Reply 4
Biomed and I stayed at our family home,so didn't move out to live in student accommodation

Ahh, yeah I'm not sure if I can really afford the student accommodation lol
Reply 5
I'm a KCL grad,loved it!

You're the arabic christian right?

Hi I'm Zinan.
Luckily,I ended getting all the modules I ipted for,so I didn't have to change my timetable or anything like that.

I would suggest choosing KCL because of the reputation and also the location!
Original post by wdkmwd
You're the arabic christian right?

Hi I'm Zinan.

Hi zinan. What're you studying?

Aye!
I'm a third year at KCL, and if I could go back I wouldn't go here. It does have some positives, for example being in dead central London is lush, but imo the negatives far outweigh the positives.
It's drained all my money. Like seriously, unless you're rich I would not go to London. If you do, be prepared that you'll either have to spend a fortune living in centre or travelling in every day. I know most people travel for work but it's not the same, if you want to experience uni life properly you need to be near campus and that's hard with King's. Also because we have so many campuses and most people don't live nearby it does always feel quite segregated, it's harder to make new friends because their isn't a 'campus feel'.
Furthermore, although KCL is seen as 'prestigious' this is more due to the fact they have high quality research, as student satisfaction is seriously low. Obviously it depends on the course, but my teaching quality is pretty poor and lecturers care more about talking about their own specific research than actually teaching us.

So yeh, I don't know anything about Warwick but if I had the choice again I wouldn't pick King's or any uni in London. In some ways it's great to get the 'London' experience (so many things to do, see, go out), but I dont feel like you get the 'uni' experience.

EDIT: in terms of grad prospects though, yeh, they're pretty good. I do have a grad job lined up for when I finish.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9
Hi zinan. What're you studying?

Aye!

Computer science.

I think I talked to you before but the account i used to got banned or something :v
Original post by wdkmwd
Computer science.

I think I talked to you before but the account i used to got banned or something :v

Yeah you did,I remember
Both are very good- in fact Warwick would be probably give you the edge for employment prospects. Have you visited both unis/been to open days? I guess you have to weigh up the city vs campus lifestyles and which suits you better.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Depending on your course Warwick is probably more prestigious than KCL - at least in the UK. For example, Warwick is a target for many banks whereas KCL isn't.
Honestly,they were so good! And let me just tell you,the education you'll be getting is value for money. I had the full on uni experience even tho I was still living at home.

Right now,nothing but I have a place at Edinburgh to study medicine this new Academic year starting in Autumn
Reply 14
Original post by LiquidGold
I'm a third year at KCL, and if I could go back I wouldn't go here. It does have some positives, for example being in dead central London is lush, but imo the negatives far outweigh the positives.
It's drained all my money. Like seriously, unless you're rich I would not go to London. If you do, be prepared that you'll either have to spend a fortune living in centre or travelling in every day. I know most people travel for work but it's not the same, if you want to experience uni life properly you need to be near campus and that's hard with King's. Also because we have so many campuses and most people don't live nearby it does always feel quite segregated, it's harder to make new friends because their isn't a 'campus feel'.
Furthermore, although KCL is seen as 'prestigious' this is more due to the fact they have high quality research, as student satisfaction is seriously low. Obviously it depends on the course, but my teaching quality is pretty poor and lecturers care more about talking about their own specific research than actually teaching us.

So yeh, I don't know anything about Warwick but if I had the choice again I wouldn't pick King's or any uni in London. In some ways it's great to get the 'London' experience (so many things to do, see, go out), but I dont feel like you get the 'uni' experience.

EDIT: in terms of grad prospects though, yeh, they're pretty good. I do have a grad job lined up for when I finish.

This is v helpful thank you! Did you get your first choice of student accommodation? Did you have to travel everyday from outside of central london?
Thank you! I just used to take public transport,so it wasn't that big a deal.
Yeah med school is very competitive so just study hard!
I'm debating about whether to firm King's or Warwick. As well as the expenses of London, everyone tells me I should go to a campus uni. However, will my graduate prospects be higher if I went to King's over Warwick? Or is Warwick considered just as prestigious ?

Warwick is considered just as/more prestigious in certain circles.

What are the courses? What are your career aspirations? If for e.g. you want to break into finance then Warwick is far superior, for anything to do with bio sciences then KCL wins easily.
Reply 17
Original post by Chr0n
Depending on your course Warwick is probably more prestigious than KCL - at least in the UK. For example, Warwick is a target for many banks whereas KCL isn't.

I've got an offer to study European Studies French pathway at King's , and at Warwick French, politics and international studies ?
The tube is quicker,indeed even if it is alittle bit more expensive and the strikes can be so annoying,especially if it's for more than a day
I've got an offer to study European Studies French pathway at King's , and at Warwick French, politics and international studies ?

I'd say KCL has the better faculty in this case (by quite a margin). But wrt career prospects afterwards Warwick shouldn't set you back at all, Warwick is also a target university while KCL is not.

Quick Reply

Latest