The Student Room Group

Stuck on an FP2 question!

FullSizeRender (1).jpg

I understand how to do it for say y = (tan(1+x)^-1) but this fraction is really throwing me off... any advice?
Original post by 2014_GCSE
FullSizeRender (1).jpg

I understand how to do it for say y = (tan(1+x)^-1) but this fraction is really throwing me off... any advice?

2014 AQA right? Anyway, just approach it as normal, it falls out nicely (From memory at least)
write f(x) = tan(y)

make x the subject, then find dx/dy.... after that you can get dy/dx easily.
Reply 3
In the first part you have shown that
dydx=11+x2 \displaystyle \frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{1}{1+x^2}
So now just solve the differential equation giving y=arctanx+c y= \arctan x + c .
y is defined above as arctan(1+x1x) \arctan \left ( \frac{1+x}{1-x} \right ) so substitute that in for y. Then find c as you normally would and rearrange to give the required result.
^ for the second part of the question.

For the first part just use chain rule (you will need quotient rule as well when differentiating the fraction).
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Thanks, @zetamcfc, @the bear and @B_9710. I managed to get part a) with what you guys said but still struggling with part b). I even just had a look at the mark scheme and I still am not really understanding b)...

For the post above, where have you pulled the equation "y=arctanx + c" from? I understand it may give you the answer but I don't understand the logical steps?
Thanks, @zetamcfc, @the bear and @B_9710. I managed to get part a) with what you guys said but still struggling with part b). I even just had a look at the mark scheme and I still am not really understanding b)...

For the post above, where have you pulled the equation "y=arctanx + c" from? I understand it may give you the answer but I don't understand the logical steps?

What's part b?
Reply 6
Original post by Kvothe the arcane
What's part b?

Sorry, I didn't realise the photo didn't have the letters in there. Part b) is "Hence, given that x<1... etc."
Sorry, I didn't realise the photo didn't have the letters in there. Part b) is "Hence, given that x<1... etc."

We need to know what ...etc is :smile:

Edit: stupid me :facepalm2:
(edited 8 years ago)

Integrate your dy/dx, what do you see?
Reply 9

It comes from solving the differential equation y=11+x2 \displaystyle y=\frac{1}{1+x^2} .
And remember that 11+x2dx=arctanx+c \displaystyle \int \frac{1}{1+x^2} dx = \arctan x +c .
Reply 10
Ah, of course. Got it!! Thanks everybody :smile:

We need to know what ...etc is :smile:
I put the question in the OP :tongue:
Reply 11
Ah, of course. Got it!! Thanks everybody :smile:

I put the question in the OP :tongue:

I wouldn't do it the way that the other users have, I'd write f(x)=arctan1+x1xarctanxf(x) = \arctan \frac{1+x}{1-x} - \arctan x, then from the first part, notice that:

f(x)=ddx(arctan1+x1xarctanx)=11+x211+x2=0\displaystyle f'(x) = \frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d}x} \left(\arctan \frac{1+x}{1-x} - \arctan x \right) = \frac{1}{1+x^2} - \frac{1}{1+x^2} = 0

So that f(x)=0f(x)=cf'(x) = 0 \Rightarrow f(x) = c. Then f(0)=arctan1arctan0=π4f(0) = \arctan{1} - \arctan{0} = \frac{\pi}{4}.
Reply 12
Original post by Zacken
I wouldn't do it the way that the other users have, I'd write f(x)=arctan1+x1xarctanxf(x) = \arctan \frac{1+x}{1-x} - \arctan x, then from the first part, notice that:

f(x)=ddx(arctan1+x1xarctanx)=11+x211+x2=0\displaystyle f'(x) = \frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d}x} \left(\arctan \frac{1+x}{1-x} - \arctan x \right) = \frac{1}{1+x^2} - \frac{1}{1+x^2} = 0

So that f(x)=0f(x)=cf'(x) = 0 \Rightarrow f(x) = c. Then f(0)=arctan1arctan0=π4f(0) = \arctan{1} - \arctan{0} = \frac{\pi}{4}.

STEP I question there?
Original post by Zacken

Why would you know that f(x)=0f'(x)=0?

I assume you're not used that fact f(x)=π4f(x)=\frac{\pi}{4} as that'd be circular reasoning.
Reply 14
Why would you know that f(x)=0f'(x)=0?

I assume you're not used that fact f(x)=π4f(x)=\dfrac{\pi}{4} as that'd be circular reasoning.

Because (arctanx)=11+x2(\arctan x)' = \frac{1}{1+x^2} and (arctan1+x1x)=11+x2\left(\arctan \frac{1+x}{1-x}\right)' = \frac{1}{1+x^2}.

Derivative is a linear operator so since you're differentiating the difference of two things whose derivatives are the same, then f(x)=0f'(x) = 0. So f(x)f(x) is a constant and plugging in any value of xx will reveal the value of this constant.
Reply 15
Original post by B_9710
STEP I question there?

First part of a STEP I question from a paper in the 80's or 90's iirc.
Original post by Zacken
Because (arctanx)=11+x2(\arctan x)' = \frac{1}{1+x^2} and (arctan1+x1x)=11+x2\left(\arctan \frac{1+x}{1-x}\right)' = \frac{1}{1+x^2}.

Derivative is a linear operator so since you're differentiating the difference of two things whose derivatives are the same, then f(x)=0f'(x) = 0. So f(x)f(x) is a constant and plugging in any value of xx will reveal the value of this constant.

That was stupid of me. Didn't notice they were the same. Thanks. Noted.
Reply 17
That was stupid of me. Didn't notice they were the same. Thanks. Noted.

I think that was the intended solution as well - they gave you part (a) to show the derivative of that is the derivative of arctanx\arctan x too. It's a nice concept.
Original post by Zacken
I think that was the intended solution as well - they gave you part (a) to show the derivative of that is the derivative of arctanx\arctan x too. It's a nice concept.

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-MFP2-W-MS-JUN14.PDF

Q7 if you want the desired solution :smile:
Reply 19

:colondollar: Thanks for setting me straight. :lol:

Quick Reply

Latest