The Student Room Group

Sheffield or Manchester?

Hi,
I am struggling to choose between the two unis/cities
Anyone in the same position or attending either uni?
Does Sheffield have a good nightlife? Is Manchester an overwhelming city to move to? Is one city more expensive than the other to live in?
I am hoping to study english lit :smile:
Manchester probably has the best nightlife although I've heard the clubs at Sheffield are better as they're mostly filled with students. As an undergrad there I wouldn't say Manchester is overwhelming at all, or at least not the campus itself.
I would say Sheffield, it will be cheaper and the night life is great, has a easy to use tram system for getting around and has a great city to shop in. The university is also a rustle group. :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Terry Tibbs
Manchester probably has the best nightlife although I've heard the clubs at Sheffield are better as they're mostly filled with students. As an undergrad there I wouldn't say Manchester is overwhelming at all, or at least not the campus itself.

Thank you!
Are you in halls? Do you feel generally safe in the city?
(sorry for all the questions :smile:)
Original post by ABCLILY
Thank you!
Are you in halls? Do you feel generally safe in the city?
(sorry for all the questions :smile:)

I am in halls (Whitworth Park to be exact). Yeah I feel pretty safe, nothing's happened to me to make me feel otherwise.
Sheffield is much nicer in my opinion, nicer people and nicer areas around the university :smile: plus its got an AMAZING swimming centre (ponds forge), a great ice skating rink, meadowhall and great restaurants :smile:
Sheffield is brilliant for nightlife it's great fun and there is something for everyone from Corp Wednesday's to code Thursday's and bierkeller etc. The uni is in the Russell group and pretty well respected with many graduate recruiters visiting the campus and the housing in second year is very cheap so that's a bonus as even on 5500 loan like me you will have like 2000 pounds left over
Sheffield is much more of a student city I'd say, you can do a lot more and more enjoyably within the student niche as it's such a significant proportion of the population in the area. I'd say the costs are fairly similar, if anything Sheffield might be slightly more costly for housing because UoS is in quite a nice area, from what I've heard going out is slightly cheaper though (that's not to say it's worse, Shef punches well above it's weight for nightlife).
I'm at Sheffield and feel so much safer here than in Manchester.

What people say about nightlife here is true. It's a bustling city with plenty of nightlife and culture, not the desolate industrial wasteland many people believe it to be
Well manchester has a better nightlife, the difference in student accommodation prices is honestly insignificant. It's not like you're staying at bath or London. Manchester has a bigger undergrad population (which i see as a positive) and for whatever reason it's better respected internationally.

And I'm not sure why people keep listing Sheffield being russel group as an advantage when manchester is too lol. I've also never felt unsafe in manchester. Lastly, you can't say which uni has nicer people. That's 100% subjective and depends on the people you're exposed to during uni. No idea what the people above me are talking about.

In terms of facilities, they'll both honestly look practically the same too. You should've just visited each unis open day. We can't decide for you but my bias prefers Manchester. Sheffield uni felt very underwhelming when i visited it.

But make that conclusion yourself
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 10
I've firmed English Lit at Sheffield.
Seems like it has a good campus feel to it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Heya :h: I've moved this to a more appropriate forum for you.

Also, check out this page for more uni specific information.

Good luck! :h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending