The Student Room Group

Applying to Princeton/Stanford for mathematics from UK

I recently have recieved my GCSE grades and have started 6th form. At GCSE I achieved 6As and 5A*s, the A's in english lit and language, triple sciences and aviation studies and the A*'s in german, history, maths, computer science and f. maths. At AS I'm taking maths, further maths, computer science and german, I'm dropping german at A-level and am predicted A's in all of them. What i want to know is what are my chances at getting into Princeton or Stanford to study mathematics(pure):P

Oh yeah and as for extracurricular activities, I'm a corporal at air cadets and swim at county level.

Any advice would be helpful?

As a follow up question to anyone: how exactly would i apply and what would I need to do(SATS etc.)?
Reply 1
Hehe, this is my area so I'll gladly answer.

BTW, Princeton acceptance rate has been 7.4%, so unless you're a ****ing genius at maths, your parents will make a nice donation to the college, or you made a breakthrough in some field, I'd say not to bother applying really.

Sorry kid, life isn't fair as Disney movies make it out to be.

You; you swim, and go air cadets. Cool.

Me; Compose music, won medals at regional level in track & field, I'm a amateur Boxer, I did volunteering for few years, was working paid-employment, did DOFE, went Air-Cadets, I'm a translator from Polish-English vice-versa, I was part of Young Enterprise at college, even made my own business, I was part of student-council and even a school-president, I sing, I write short-story prompts, and more stuff that I can't think from top of my head.

Do you see where I'm coming from? I'm not showing off, I'm stating hard-to-swallow truth.

You need to be exceptional - look at me, and look at you. Who has a better chance?

Yeah, you're only 16, so I'd say stop masturbating and playing video games, and do something with your extra time. It is soooooooo important that you shine above others if you wanna be the part of 7.4% acceptance rate.

You are trying to apply to one of the top unis in the world (not in UK), so obviously your academic performance must be exceptional. To apply to universities in the US, you need to fill out Common Application, which is similar to UCAS, but goes much more in depth, because those universities (colleges) require an additional writing essay, and answer additional questions (its a long process) to elaborate;

- You have to write your equivalent of personal statement.
- When you pick your colleges, for each individual college you will need to write another essay as to why should they accept you.
- Oh, and you pay like £50 for one application to one college, unless you have an application waiver fee.

Because I cba to type anymore as I'm lazy (:P), I'll provide you with this link (It's for Harvard, but every uni in the US follows the same process)
http://www.harvard-ukadmissions.co.uk/what-are-we-looking-for/
https://college.harvard.edu/admissions/application-process/international-applicants

*WARNING LONG COPY AND PASTE AHEAD*
Straight Outta Harvard page yo'

You start by submitting a complete application with the following materials:

Application and supplements

$75 application fee or a fee waiver request

SAT or ACT scores

Normally, two SAT Subject Tests

Secondary School Report (including transcripts) and Mid-Year School Report

Two teacher evaluations

*You may submit either the Common Application (with the Harvard questions and Harvard Writing Supplement) or the Universal College Application (with the Harvard Supplement).ApplicationWe accept both the Common Application and the Universal College Application. Each is treated equally by the Admissions Committee. Complete and submit your materials as soon as possible to ensure full and timely consideration of your application. If you use the Common Application, you must submit your application before your supporting materials (Secondary School Report, Teacher Reports, etc.) can be released to a college. Until you submit your own application sections, no part of your application will be transmitted to the Harvard Admissions Office.

The Universal College Application does not require this same process.WHEN WE RECEIVE YOUR APPLICATIONWe will send an acknowledgment of receipt within two weeks of receiving your application. If you have not received an acknowledgment after two weeks, please contact us. Choose the category “Your Submitted Application,” then the subject “Confirm Receipt of Application” in the drop-down menu, or call 617-495-1551. Please note: we will not begin processing applications until late September, so the earliest acknowledgements will be sent in mid-September.

APPLICATION FEE

You may pay your application fee online with a credit card via the Common Application or the Universal College Application websites.

You may also send a check or money order to Harvard College Admissions, 86 Brattle Street, Cambridge, MA 02138. Please include the applicant’s name with the payment.

Fee waivers: If paying the application fee would cause a hardship for your family, please request a fee waiver. You or your guidance counselor may use one of the official forms, or your counselor—or you yourself—may simply write a short letter asking us to waive your fee. Each applicant applying with a fee waiver should select an option for a need-based fee waiver. Do not let this fee prevent you from applying!

HARVARD SUPPLEMENTS
Complete the Harvard Questions with the Common Application. If you are using the Universal College Application, complete the Harvard supplement and submit it online or mail it to the Admissions Office.

SCHOOL REPORT AND MID-YEAR SCHOOL REPORT (INCLUDING TRANSCRIPTS)
These forms must be completed by your school counselor or other school adviser. Ask that the School Report form be completed and returned to our office as soon as possible. Your school also must submit an official high school transcript, preferably submitted online through Parchment/Docufide or Scrip-safe International.

The Mid-Year Report should be returned in February with your latest grades.If you have attended more than one high school in the past two years, we request that your previous guidance counselor(s) or school official(s) submit a statement on your behalf about your time at that school. Please ask them to send their statement to Harvard College Admissions at 86 Brattle St. Cambridge, MA 02138 or fax it to (617) 495-8821.

TEACHER EVALUATIONS
Ask two teachers in different academic subjects who know you well to complete the Teacher Evaluation forms.

SAT OR ACT SCORES
We require all applicants to complete the SAT Reasoning Test or the ACT Test with Writing and will accept both the current and the redesigned SAT scores with writing for the foreseeable future. We normally require two SAT Subject Tests. In choosing which Subject Tests to submit, it is more useful to choose only one mathematics test rather than two.

Similarly, if your first language is not English, a Subject Test in your first language may be less helpful. You should submit scores from tests taken in the past three years.While we normally require two SAT Subject Tests, you may apply without them if the cost of taking the tests represents a financial hardship or if you prefer to have your application considered without them.

Standardized testing is only one component of our holistic admissions process and your application will be evaluated on the basis of all of the other information that you submit. Read more about Subject Tests here.

You are free to use the College Board Score Choice option or the similar option offered by the ACT. Our official codes are 3434 for the College Board SAT Reasoning and Subject Tests and 1840 for the ACT.When registering for tests, use your name as it will appear on your Harvard application. Using a nickname may prevent your scores from matching the rest of your application in our database.In order for your application to be considered complete, we must have official test scores submitted directly to Harvard by the testing agency on your behalf. If we do not receive your official scores from the testing agency, we will be unable to make an admission decision. Please allow up to two weeks for your scores to appear on the applicant status site.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Ok, there was definitely a nicer way to say that. Yes, to be competitive at U.S. Ivy League you will need both stellar grades and extracurricular. I think you're on the right track so far, but I would suggest becoming involved in more volunteer organizations. Universities also love people who've had leadership position, so you could join (or start— that would show initiative) a club and run for president. I'm not sure if you would be required to take the SAT, but if you're interested, I would check out the College Board website. They have practice questions and information about the test that you might find useful. The ACT is also something to consider if you don't think English and Grammar are your strong points. I agree that the UCAS essay was easier for me to write (simply because I was writing about the subjects I'm passionate about), but the Common App essays are far from difficult. Common App tends to focus on personal experiences that have shaped your individual personality and morals. Because there are multiple prompts you can choose from, you can pretty much write about anything and be able to fulfill a prompt. You will have to check the university's website to see what supplementals are required. I would suggest having a teacher look over any writings before you submit them. Best of luck with your applications! Hope this was helpful!
Getting into Ivy League is difficult, yes, but not impossible. Being involved in a lot of activities doesn't guarantee your admission (neither do stellar grades). Keep in mind that, unlike many U.K. universities, U.S. universities tend to look at students who are well-rounded, rather than really spectacular in one subject/activity. Stay motivated and I'm sure you can get there!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Also, I know someone who was accepted to Princeton last year, and he was not an "a**ing genius." He didn't have any "break through." He was a smart, well-rounded, charismatic guy with good test scores. Don't let anyone scare you into quitting or giving up. People build up Ivy League in their minds, but keep in mind that 7% of applicants is about 1/10 of applicants. It's much easier to swallow when you think of it as having to be better than 9 other people. Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
This is true, with American schools you often have to just apply to 10 and hope one will take you.
Original post by leopatto

Sorry kid, life isn't fair as Disney movies make it out to be.

You; you swim, and go air cadets. Cool.

Me; Compose music, won medals at regional level in track & field, I'm a amateur Boxer, I did volunteering for few years, was working paid-employment, did DOFE, went Air-Cadets, I'm a translator from Polish-English vice-versa, I was part of Young Enterprise at college, even made my own business, I was part of student-council and even a school-president, I sing, I write short-story prompts, and more stuff that I can't think from top of my head.

Do you see where I'm coming from? I'm not showing off, I'm stating hard-to-swallow truth.

You need to be exceptional - look at me, and look at you. Who has a better chance?

Sorry but you're just writing this to feed your ego. There is a MUCH nicer way to phrase all of that
Actually, neither OP or leopatto will likely get into an Ivy. Recent years, almost all international students accepted at Ivy are national level medalists. Especially at Harvard, MIT, Princeton, and Stanford. I have seen IBO members and IOI members from my country rejected from those universities. Havent seen IMO/ ICHO/ IPHO rejected though. There are also national level athletes.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Applicant201613
Actually, neither OP or leopatto will likely get into an Ivy. Recent years, almost all international students accepted at Ivy are national level medalists.

Just want to point out here that accomplishments are viewed on a contextual basis, and I know many fellow internationals who don't hold national medals (myself included).
Original post by feyy
Just want to point out here that accomplishments are viewed on a contextual basis, and I know many fellow internationals who don't hold national medals (myself included).

Hmm, most of the ones I know are indeed national medal holders. You might know many fellow international who aren't but are majority of them not national medal winners? Also, how would you know that they don't hold national medal - it is not like they will tell you unless you ask them.
Reply 9
Is there anyway of getting into Princeton university college without any GCSEs? I have the money to pay the $400,000 ?
Reply 10
Is there anyway of getting accepted into Princeton unveristy college without any A levels or GCSEs I have the $400,000 to pay?
Original post by Chelbxx
Is there anyway of getting into Princeton university college without any GCSEs? I have the money to pay the $400,000 ?

Original post by Chelbxx
Is there anyway of getting accepted into Princeton unveristy college without any A levels or GCSEs I have the $400,000 to pay?

What education have you had?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending