The Student Room Group

What did you get in your gcse's

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ♥Samantha♥
Revision guides are magical.

Did you do past papers?
Original post by Naadir98
well its about studying 3 subjects simultaneously for a week at a time.
rotation policy works best.
and lots of papers.
i can send you my timetable to understand i think i still have it

Oh yes that would be amazing thank you so much x
I got 3A*s, 9 As and a B.

I rewrote the revision guide in my own words (so I kind of went over it as a personalised revision guide) and watched YouTube videos. :smile:
7 A*, 3 A, 1 B

A* - Biology, Chemistry, English Language, History, Geography, Product Design, ICT
A - Physics, Maths, English Literature
B - German

We had to do science, maths and English, a technology (food, textiles, PD), a language (French/German, we didn't get a choice of which) and ICT, then got to choose two options.

I did Biology, History, Geography and Eng Lit at AS (can you tell I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life?) and then dropped Biology for this year, then I'll be doing History next year for uni.
13A* 2Ds
3A*'s and 10A's (2015 exams):smile:
Original post by Squishy•
13A* 2Ds

How did you revise and well done :smile:
Original post by greys-anatomy
3A*'s and 10A's (2015 exams)

wow how did you revise? well done
Original post by ElspethC
7 A*, 3 A, 1 B

A* - Biology, Chemistry, English Language, History, Geography, Product Design, ICT
A - Physics, Maths, English Literature
B - German

We had to do science, maths and English, a technology (food, textiles, PD), a language (French/German, we didn't get a choice of which) and ICT, then got to choose two options.

I did Biology, History, Geography and Eng Lit at AS (can you tell I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life?) and then dropped Biology for this year, then I'll be doing History next year for uni.

wow well done how did you revise for Biology and Chemistry
Original post by nisha.sri
Did you do past papers?

kind of - our assessments at school were past papers but it wasn't really a part of my personal revision. though on the day of the exam i would do the most recent past paper just so I was in the mindset of answering questions because sometimes when you're just reading from the revision guide you kind of forget how to actually use the information to answer questions.
However now I think past papers are really useful and wish I used them more when I had the chance. Now doing the new reformed A-levels means that past papers for my courses don't even exist which is really annoying.
Original post by maestrocam
I got 3A*s, 9 As and a B.

I rewrote the revision guide in my own words (so I kind of went over it as a personalised revision guide) and watched YouTube videos. :smile:

Did you do past papers? Well done how much did you revise during easter?
Really?

Yes! You learn how to answer questions, how to apply knowledge and how to approach key/command words.

Also, the likelihood of boards repeating questions is high. They've been usig the same course since 2009 I think, so there's only so many questions they can create about a 200-page text book. Mark schemes are your ally through this horrible time
Original post by ♥Samantha♥
kind of - our assessments at school were past papers but it wasn't really a part of my personal revision. though on the day of the exam i would do the most recent past paper just so I was in the mindset of answering questions because sometimes when you're just reading from the revision guide you kind of forget how to actually use the information to answer questions.
However now I think past papers are really useful and wish I used them more when I had the chance. Now doing the new reformed A-levels means that past papers for my courses don't even exist which is really annoying.

:smile: Wow well done on those grades though :smile:
Aww i am sure you'll get great grades like you did in your gcse
Good luck
Original post by ImagineCats
Yes! You learn how to answer questions, how to apply knowledge and how to approach key/command words.

Also, the likelihood of boards repeating questions is high. They've been usig the same course since 2009 I think, so there's only so many questions they can create about a 200-page text book. Mark schemes are your ally through this horrible time

I'm trying to do as many past papers as possible hopefully it would help me :smile:
I hate those exam boards who just want you to get that answer and nothing else.
Thanks
wow how did you revise? well done

Thanks haha
If im Honest from February to April - it was more a case of me thinking i was doing lots of revision, rather than actually doing revision.
And then during study leave was when I properly started revising.
I'll just say what subjects I did and how i revised;
(Bear in mind this happened like 3 days before each exam)
English Lit - i made theme and character revision sheets, and literally like 50 past exam questions for each paper
English Language - Just lots of past exam questions
Maths - past paper after past paper
Science (Bio Chem and Physics) - For all three sciences i used the specification to turn each point into a question on flash cards
History - Basically just memorised the text book haha
French - Learnt vocab and then learnt even more vocab
RE - made bullet points for each key topic
Drama - Prayed to God and got an A idk how i did it haha
Business Studies - made a massive list of key words and definitions nd memorised it
ICT - memorised the textbook word for word :/
Core Science - Same as normal science

Hope this maybe helped idk haha
4 Bs and 6cs.
Bs were in Biology, Maths, Physics, and Food Tech.
Probably the lowest out of everybody on this thread lol
Original post by greys-anatomy
Thanks haha
If im Honest from February to April - it was more a case of me thinking i was doing lots of revision, rather than actually doing revision.
And then during study leave was when I properly started revising.
I'll just say what subjects I did and how i revised;
(Bear in mind this happened like 3 days before each exam)
English Lit - i made theme and character revision sheets, and literally like 50 past exam questions for each paper
English Language - Just lots of past exam questions
Maths - past paper after past paper
Science (Bio Chem and Physics) - For all three sciences i used the specification to turn each point into a question on flash cards
History - Basically just memorised the text book haha
French - Learnt vocab and then learnt even more vocab
RE - made bullet points for each key topic
Drama - Prayed to God and got an A idk how i did it haha
Business Studies - made a massive list of key words and definitions nd memorised it
ICT - memorised the textbook word for word :/
Core Science - Same as normal science

Hope this maybe helped idk haha

WOW THANK YOU
THIS has actually helped me :smile:
2A*
3Bs
2Cs
1 D
wow well done how did you revise for Biology and Chemistry

Mostly by making notes and crying? :biggrin:

For GCSE I made little flashcards with the important points - in our revision guide it was split up into smaller sections so I did a flashcard for each and kept them in little folders in my schoolbag to flick through every so often. For A level I've been buying A3 sketchbooks for £1 each and doing 1 page per topic. If you like making diagrams and doing longer notes and explanations then I'd suggest using sketchbooks or notebooks, I've found it a lot easier than small flashcards.
Original post by ElspethC
Mostly by making notes and crying? :biggrin:

For GCSE I made little flashcards with the important points - in our revision guide it was split up into smaller sections so I did a flashcard for each and kept them in little folders in my schoolbag to flick through every so often. For A level I've been buying A3 sketchbooks for £1 each and doing 1 page per topic. If you like making diagrams and doing longer notes and explanations then I'd suggest using sketchbooks or notebooks, I've found it a lot easier than small flashcards.

Lol thanks for the advice :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest