The Student Room Group

Maths/Further maths modules?

Are these modules for maths and further maths acceptable?

Maths: C1-4, S1, D1
Further maths: FP1, FP2, M1, D2, S2, M2

Also if I did S1 last year as a FM module but did S1 this year as a maths module and something else as a FM module would it still count.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by USB111
Are these modules for maths and further maths acceptable?

Maths: C1-4, S1, D1
Further maths: FP1, FP2, M1, D2, S2, M2

Also if I did S1 last year as a FM module but did S1 this year as a maths module and something else as a FM module would it still count.

Those modules seem fine, Do you mean you are resisting S1 or just want it placed within maths?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by drandy76
Those modules seem fine, Do you mean you are resisting S1 or just want it placed within maths?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I took S1 last year in Furthermaths AS and did bad. But now im taking S1 in maths in school, so im retaking S1 but im placing it within maths. So is that allowed
Original post by USB111
I took S1 last year in Furthermaths AS and did bad. But now im taking S1 in maths in school, so im retaking S1 but im placing it within maths. So is that allowed

well you sit the 12 modules then edexcel rearrange them for you to give you the best possible grades in maths and further maths. You dont actually get to decide which applied modules go with which alevel (which is a good thing, they will always rearrange them to give you the best possible grades)
Reply 4
Original post by DylanJ42
well you sit the 12 modules then edexcel rearrange them for you to give you the best possible grades in maths and further maths. You dont actually get to decide which applied modules go with which alevel (which is a good thing, they will always rearrange them to give you the best possible grades)

ok. But also another thing, Im doing Maths with AQA and last year I did S1 with edexcel (along with my other Further maths modules) but this year im doing S1 with AQA. Would that be a problem.

So this year im doing C3, C4 and S1 for AQA maths but last year I did S1 for edexcel for further maths.
Original post by USB111
ok. But also another thing, Im doing Maths with AQA and last year I did S1 with edexcel (along with my other Further maths modules) but this year im doing S1 with AQA. Would that be a problem.

So this year im doing C3, C4 and S1 for AQA maths but last year I did S1 for edexcel for further maths.

ah ill be honest, i have no idea :laugh:

im sure someone will reply who knows what theyre talking about

if not, you could always email the exam boards and find out
I do the exact same modules so I guess so

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DylanJ42
ah ill be honest, i have no idea :laugh:

im sure someone will reply who knows what theyre talking about

if not, you could always email the exam boards and find out

Original post by USB111

Pretty sure you have to do all of maths with the same exam board and all of further maths with the same exam board.
Reply 8
Original post by Student403
Pretty sure you have to do all of maths with the same exam board and all of further maths with the same exam board.

...yep.
Reply 9

Original post by Zacken
...yep.

So what do I do then??
The exam centre never asked me if it was the same exam board or not.
But im retaking all my Further maths units anyways cos I did bad in all of them so what should i do. On the results that I got it does say Further Maths AS though.
Reply 10
Original post by USB111
So what do I do then??
But im retaking all my Further maths units anyways cos I did bad in all of them so what should i do. On the results that I got it does say Further Maths AS though.

I don't have much knowledge on this so... @Compost knows what he's talking about.
Original post by USB111
So what do I do then??

Exactly which units have you taken with which exam board?

(The rules are all here http://www.jcq.org.uk/exams-office/entries/gce-maths-information/gce-maths-rules---guidance-for-centres if you want to read them for yourself but ask and I am happy to interpret to the best of my abilities).
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by USB111
So what do I do then??

So wait what modules did you take last year with which exam board? (M/FM) and which modules are you taking this year with which exam board? (M/FM)
Reply 13
Original post by Compost
Exactly which units have you taken with which exam board?

(The rules are all here http://www.jcq.org.uk/exams-office/entries/gce-maths-information/gce-maths-rules---guidance-for-centres if you want to read them for yourself but ask and I am happy to interpret to the best of my abilities).

So wait what modules did you take last year with which exam board? (M/FM) and which modules are you taking this year with which exam board? (M/FM)

I took FP1, M1 and S1 last year with edexcel. im gonna take the rest of the further maths modules with edexcel.
This year im taking C3, C4 and S1 in maths with AQA. Ive taken c1, c2 and d1 with AQA.
Original post by USB111
I took FP1, M1 and S1 last year with edexcel. im gonna take the rest of the further maths modules with edexcel.
This year im taking C3, C4 and S1 in maths with AQA. Ive taken c1, c2 and d1 with AQA.

My understanding of this is based on the 2 following rules:

You can't swap individual units between exams boards and your situation means the ability to transfer an AS qualification is not applicable

You can't have the same unit in both Maths and Further Maths (though I'm not sure the exam boards will be able to pick up on your repeat of S1 to take this into account).

The consequence of 1. is that the units that will have to count in Maths are C1-4, S1 and D1. (Normally they will swap the applied units round to maximise your Maths grade but you have lost this opportunity by using 2 boards).
Your Further Maths qualification should be calculated on FP1, M1 and 4 units you take this Summer with Edexcel. Your Edexcel S1 cannot be used according to the rules but I suspect Edexcel may not notice that.
Original post by USB111

Original post by Compost

You can't swap individual units between exams boards and your situation means the ability to transfer an AS qualification is not applicable

You can't have the same unit in both Maths and Further Maths (though I'm not sure the exam boards will be able to pick up on your repeat of S1 to take this into account).

The consequence of 1. is that the units that will have to count in Maths are C1-4, S1 and D1. (Normally they will swap the applied units round to maximise your Maths grade but you have lost this opportunity by using 2 boards).
Your Further Maths qualification should be calculated on FP1, M1 and 4 units you take this Summer with Edexcel. Your Edexcel S1 cannot be used according to the rules but I suspect Edexcel may not notice that.

@tiny hobbit is it possible to take the same module for M/FM as above if with different exam boards?
@tiny hobbit is it possible to take the same module for M/FM as above if with different exam boards?

The JCQ regulations (common to AQA, CCEA, Edexcel, OCR and CCEA) clearly state:
Similarly certification of A level Mathematics and A level Further Mathematics requires twelve different units.
Original post by Compost
Similarly certification of A level Mathematics and A level Further Mathematics requires twelve different units.

Ah ok :smile: So if it's JCQ (parent of those exam boards) regulating, then it's a straight up no to the double S1?
Reply 18
Original post by Compost

Original post by Compost

Well because I used S1 for AQA Maths now i am going to take a different unit for further Maths. Currently my FM units are : FP1 , FP2, M1, D2, M2, S2. So they will be 12 different units. So will retaking S1 for AQA Maths and replacing S1 from FM be a problem.
Original post by USB111
Well because I used S1 for AQA Maths now i am going to take a different unit for further Maths. Currently my FM units are : FP1 , FP2, M1, D2, M2, S2. So they will be 12 different units. So will retaking S1 for AQA Maths and replacing S1 from FM be a problem.

It should be fine. As I said, I suspect that Edexcel won't notice that your S1 can't be counted. I think you are doing entirely the right thing by making sure you are doing 12 different units but you may accidentally gain by having your Edexcel S1 count in FM if it turns out to be better than one of your other Edexcel applied units. You have a legitimate set if they do notice and if they don't it sort of compensates for the lack of maneouverability between Maths and FM for your other Applied units.

However, Edexcel may well query your ability to cash in FM at all as taking Maths is a pre-requisite for taking FM and they will see no evidence that you are taking Maths. I expect that the exam officer will have to resolve that query to them for you.

Quick Reply

Latest