The Student Room Group

London Universities. Westminster or Greenwich?

Hi there guys!

I'm going to study architecture (undergraduate) but I can't really decide where. Should I go to the Westminster or is it the Greenwich that might be a better choice? I've recieved an offer from both. I think that Westminster might be slightly better to study architecture and I've heard they have a nice workshops and well equipped facilities out there. On the other hand, I really like the atmosphere of Greenwich and its campus looks really promising. What do you think guys? Have you studied/are you studying at one of those? Is there anything I should know about those two? I will be extremely grateful for every single advice. Cheers!
Westminster has better reputation I think.
Reply 2
I studied undergrad at greenwich and am currently at Westminster for part 2. I think the studios and workshop are better at Westminster.
Reply 3
Hi guys. I have a similar problem.
I am a brazilian civil engineer coming to LONDON for a master in construction/project management, however, only Westminster, South Bank, Greenwich, GCU london and UCL provide these courses accredited by RICS. Apart to UCl, all the another universities seem to not be a really good ones, however, they are the only one in London. Would you guys to tell me wich one could even be considered the best if it is possible?
Reply 4
hey, I also have offers for part 2 at both Westminster and Greenwich. Did you study at Greenwich in a new building?
Why not consider some of the better schools outside London and save yourself some money?
Reply 6
Original post by Farchitect
Why not consider some of the better schools outside London and save yourself some money?

My wife will work in London, if I study outside will be two rents to pay.
Reply 7
Original post by olawa9
hey, I also have offers for part 2 at both Westminster and Greenwich. Did you study at Greenwich in a new building?

I studied in the old building but have been to the new building many times. The new studios are an improvement but there isn't really a studio culture in Greenwich at all, where there is at Westminster. It depends how you like working but if you want to be studio based I would definitely suggest Westminster. The fabrication lab is also pretty good (CNC's, 8 axis robot etc). Greenwich has some good tutors though
Hi Maciekw :smile:

The choice of what University to go to is really up to you because everyone looks for different things within a University. Greenwich is in a great location and the new Stockwell Street building is where you will be based. The facilities for this programme have improved and the student satisfaction for receiving advice and support with their studies for this course is 97%.

Why don't you check out the Architecture blog and have a look at previous student's work, here: http://blogs.gre.ac.uk/architecture/degree/

Also, I would advise visiting both Universities to have a look at their facilities and talk to current students to see what they think about the programme and the University itself.

Like I said, it is a really individual decision and I cannot comment on the life at Westminster, but maybe you could make a pros and cons list for each University to help you decide :smile:

If you do have any questions about the University of Greenwich then just let us know.

Laura :h:

Original post by Maciekw
Hi there guys!

I'm going to study architecture (undergraduate) but I can't really decide where. Should I go to the Westminster or is it the Greenwich that might be a better choice? I've recieved an offer from both. I think that Westminster might be slightly better to study architecture and I've heard they have a nice workshops and well equipped facilities out there. On the other hand, I really like the atmosphere of Greenwich and its campus looks really promising. What do you think guys? Have you studied/are you studying at one of those? Is there anything I should know about those two? I will be extremely grateful for every single advice. Cheers!
go for Westminster I go to Greenwich and its rubbish
Westminster is truly one of the WORST institutions in the UK. I did masters in architecture there and trust me, it was a complete waste of money. The staff is so useless, my tutors had no clue and didn't care. The lectures were really not informative, I learned more during CPDs at the architecture practice I worked in as a Part 1. The assignments were useless - you don't end up learning anything new as you supposed to as Masters level, they are just tick box exercises. On top of that, it is all 100% independent study, no guidance from tutors and feedback that doesn't help you to progress. This is a shout out to everybody who is about to waste their money by doing masters there...go to a different university where staff actually have dignity about what they do and trying to help you.
Reply 11
Hi Everyone, I am planning to study MSc Investment and Risk Finance from University of Westminster. Can someone please share their experience or opinion on University of Westminster?
Original post by PPreeti
Hi Everyone, I am planning to study MSc Investment and Risk Finance from University of Westminster. Can someone please share their experience or opinion on University of Westminster?

Hi there,

I graduated at the University of Westminster in 2020 after four years of study there and now work for the Course Enquiries Team here.
I studied Politics and was located at the Regent Street and Little Titchfield Street campus but here are some of my experiences of the university:

This was one of the main advantages that encouraged me to apply here. This is one of the most centrally located universities in London. Whether you are based at the Cavendish, Regent Street or Marylebone campus, you will always be within the heart of a bustling city that provides a unique backdrop to complete your degree. As you will be studying at the Marylebone campus, you find how easy this location is to get to. It is at Baker Street station and has five different underground lines that pass through it from every direction.

Campuses:
There are three main campuses in central London as well as a Law School situated near to Regent Street. Therefore, you can take advantage of all they have to offer. The campuses offer state of the art facilities including new libraries, break out areas, gyms, silent work rooms and interesting seminar rooms. I was located at the Regent Street campus for my course but would spend a lot of my time at the Little Titchfield Street Law School across the street due its silent library which helped me get a lot of work done. The Marylebone campus is one of the biggest buildings and has been redeveloped inside and offers brand new architecture studios and computer rooms.

Teaching:
In my experience, the tutors were also approachable, friendly, passionate and wanted to see you succeed. You are assigned a personal tutor who you can arrange one and one meetings with and talk with about any issues regarding your course.

Social life:
In my first year we had various freshers events organised months ahead of time and I found it useful to be a part of Facebook groups (more popular at the time) dedicated to Westminster students and nights out in the September. For the first two weeks we had a option for pretty much every night and these were located in clubs and bars mainly in the West End or Piccadilly in places like Tiger Tiger, or Ministry of Sound which is just south of the river.
There is a natural concern for the price of nights out in central London as you will have essential budgeting for those first months of university but many of the events that were advertised had discount priced drinks and entry tickets. These flyers would usually come through our door in our student halls of residence and it was a case of taking your of pick of which place to go. Another thing - you won't just be going to these events with Westminster students but people from across a range of London universities who are most likely studying in the capital for the same reasons as yourself.

Sport and Leisure:
Just a tube ride away from the center of London, there is are outdoor sports facilities located at the Quintin Hogg Memorial Sports Ground at Chiswick near the banks of the River Thames.
The extensive sports grounds can accommodate a wide range of sports, which include football, rugby, hockey, lacrosse, cricket, tennis, and netball. Additionally, the grounds include a pavilion with function rooms, bars, catering provision, extensive changing facilities and parking.

Best wishes,

James
Course Enquiries Team
I dont know what uni to pick I'm a mature student with offers from Greenwich and Westminster entry year 3. I studied at the OU so independent studying is fine with me and it seems like Westminster is all about doing your own research and Greenwich has a lot of small modules to pick from which I find confusing....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending