The Student Room Group

Top-up maintenance loan

Earlier I read that the maximum Maintenance loan one could apply for was £8,200 as an undergraduate (depending on household income).
However upon filling out my application on student finance I found that I'm only able to apply for up to £5,555 (before household income comes into the equation).

Why?

Does that fact that, when I receive the loan, I'll have completed a foundation degree have something to do with this? Or does every third year student get a big £2,645 chunk taken out of their loan?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Saeedpoppa
Earlier I read that the maximum Maintenance loan one could apply for was £8,200 as an undergraduate (depending on household income).
However upon filling out my application on student finance I found that I'm only able to apply for up to £5,555 (before household income comes into the equation).

Why?

Does that fact that, when I receive the loan, I'll have completed a foundation degree have something to do with this? Or does every third year student get a big £2,645 chunk taken out of their loan?

3rd year students get about £100 less a term, 2k less doesnt sound quite right.
Reply 2
Are you at uni in or outside London? And are you assessed as an independent student, or on your parents' income?

That's the *maximum* possible (not necessarily what you'll get) if you're living away from home during term-time and at a uni outside London. You won't automatically get that much, as a proportion of it will be based on your household income.

That sounds like the minimum Maintenance Loan for studying in London and living away from home during term. It might be topped up further, depending on your household income.
Original post by Klix88

That's the *maximum* possible (not necessarily what you'll get) if you're living away from home during term-time and at a uni outside London. You won't automatically get that much, as a proportion of it will be based on your household income.

Which is exactly the situation I'll be in, and whether or not this is what I'll actually get is irrelevant, the reason I started this thread is because the *maximum* I'm able to apply for is not £8,200, it's £5,555.

But it's okay because I've found my answer (sort of). It turns out that the maintenance loan for continuing full-time students is capped at £5,878.
I'm a continuing student (technically), though this still doesn't explain why I'm only able to apply for £5,555.
Which is exactly the situation I'll be in, and whether or not this is what I'll actually get is irrelevant, the reason I started this thread is because the *maximum* I'm able to apply for is not £8,200, it's £5,555.

But it's okay because I've found my answer (sort of). It turns out that the maintenance loan for continuing full-time students is capped at £5,878.
I'm a continuing student (technically), though this still doesn't explain why I'm only able to apply for £5,555.

The new maintenance loan only applies for students beginning university in 2016.
Reply 5
Original post by A-LJLB
The new maintenance loan only applies for students beginning university in 2016.

Hello there, i am a EU student studying in England since September 2012, i started studying in a college in September 2012 until June 2013, after that i went to university and i started my International Foundation Programme from September 2013 until June 2014 and i have paid the Tuition with my own money , later on in September 2014 i have started my first undergraduate course and i have applied for student loan and it was accepted and i'm still using the loan to pay the Tuition fees, my question is: am i allowed to apply for maintenance loan for the( currently ) year 2015/16 and to the next year 2016/17 ?According to Gov. website "EU nationals: Currently, new students in 2016/17 must prove they have been living in the UK for three years before their course start date in order to get living cost support from Student Finance England"
Original post by lmfp
Hello there, i am a EU student studying in England since September 2012, i started studying in a college in September 2012 until June 2013, after that i went to university and i started my International Foundation Programme from September 2013 until June 2014 and i have paid the Tuition with my own money , later on in September 2014 i have started my first undergraduate course and i have applied for student loan and it was accepted and i'm still using the loan to pay the Tuition fees, my question is: am i allowed to apply for maintenance loan for the( currently ) year 2015/16 and to the next year 2016/17 ?According to Gov. website "EU nationals: Currently, new students in 2016/17 must prove they have been living in the UK for three years before their course start date in order to get living cost support from Student Finance England"

You'll get the old financial support I believe. You're not starting the course this September, so it doesn't apply to you.

Depending on your situation, you may also be entitled to a grant.
Reply 8
Original post by A-LJLB
You'll get the old financial support I believe. You're not starting the course this September, so it doesn't apply to you.

Perfect, what about for a EU student that are living in England since September 2013 and started the college in same month ( Sep 2013), and in the year 2015/16 as started the International Foundation Programme at the university and have applied for tuition fee, does this student be allowed to apply for maintenance loan for the year 2016/17 ?
Original post by Tiger Rag
Depending on your situation, you may also be entitled to a grant.

But receiving a grant lowers the amount I'll get from my maintenance loan. By how much exactly? No one knows.
But receiving a grant lowers the amount I'll get from my maintenance loan. By how much exactly? No one knows.

50p for every £1. I can't remember off the top of my head when the reduction stops.
Original post by lmfp
Perfect, what about for a EU student that are living in England since September 2013 and started the college in same month ( Sep 2013), and in the year 2015/16 as started the International Foundation Programme at the university and have applied for tuition fee, does this student be allowed to apply for maintenance loan for the year 2016/17 ?

No. Because it has to be for reasons other than education that you came over here and as of March 24th, you have to have been living here for 5 years prior to the start of the academic year.
Reply 12
No. Because it has to be for reasons other than education that you came over here and as of March 24th, you have to have been living here for 5 years prior to the start of the academic year.

I did not understood what you mean, Both students are in the same situation, the second i have mentioned this year it will be the 3rd year in England, and the second year at university, but in the second year at university the student will be studying first year undergraduate because this year (2015/16) he is studying the foundation year, i thought EU students are allowed to apply for maintenance loan when they complete three years at England, am i wrong ? :s-smilie:

Regards
Original post by lmfp
I did not understood what you mean, Both students are in the same situation, the second i have mentioned this year it will be the 3rd year in England, and the second year at university, but in the second year at university the student will be studying first year undergraduate because this year (2015/16) he is studying the foundation year, i thought EU students are allowed to apply for maintenance loan when they complete three years at England, am i wrong ? :s-smilie:

Regards

They've now changed it to 5 years. But you have to be living here for reasons other than education.
Reply 14
They've now changed it to 5 years. But you have to be living here for reasons other than education.

Are you sure that this applied for current students ?
because as i said early, According to Gov. website "EU nationals: Currently, new students in 2016/17 must prove they have been living in the UK for three years before their course start date in order to get living cost support from Student Finance England.
From 25 March 2016 this will change to five years. Applications from EU nationals for finance submitted after midnight on 24 March 2016 will be assessed for eligibility based on them proving five years’ residency within the UK."

The question is: how they want a student that came to England in September 2013 to prove before 25 march 2016 that they have been living in England three years before their course start date in order to get living cost support ? :s-smilie:
Reply 15

Basically, a student who are living in England since 2013 and will be a continuos student in 2016/17 will not be allowed to apply for Maintenance loan because they have change three to five years ? :s-smilie: :/
Reply 16
Original post by lmfp
Basically, a student who are living in England since 2013 and will be a continuos student in 2016/17 will not be allowed to apply for Maintenance loan because they have change three to five years ? :s-smilie: :/

You won't be a continuing student, as you will be starting a new course. At that point, the new five year rule would apply to you.
Reply 17
Original post by Klix88
You won't be a continuing student, as you will be starting a new course. At that point, the new five year rule would apply to you.

Are you sure ? because the course i'm doing doing now it is 1 year full-time plus 3 years full-time, i mean, the plus 3 years full-time will start in 2016/17, so i though i will be a continuos student, am i wrong ?
I think the quoted £5000 figure is extra no?

When I applied for mine it said in the summary - about £3000 that I'll definitely get and then maximum £5000 extra, which I can see might lead you to think maximum was £5000 in total!
Original post by claireestelle
3rd year students get about £100 less a term, 2k less doesnt sound quite right.

Is there a source for this? I know a couple of people in the year above and they all said their loan was significantly reduced (i.e. much more than £100 less a term)

Quick Reply

Latest