The Student Room Group

Integral of -64cos^3x

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zacken
:yes:

Flattering but very untrue. :lol:

Spoiler

Awww thank you. Just makes me nervous as I'm doing maths at uni but there's people like you around! So what do I know! Oh well

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 21
Original post by maths_4_life
Why can't you? Thanks though

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, you're integrating with respect to x. And sinx\sin x is a function of xx. Would you agree that xdx=x1dx=x(x+c)=x2+cx\int x \, \mathrm{d}x = x \int 1 \, \mathrm{d}x = x (x +c) = x^2 + cx? Of course not - x2x^2 is a function of xx (that is, it depends and varies as xx varies) and can't be treated as a constant. Same applies to sinx\sin x.
Original post by Student403
That's the key though. You asked and that makes you a really good learner. So keep using TSR (maths forum - stay away from chat :afraid:) and you'll be fine! :awesome:

:smile:))

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zacken
Well, you're integrating with respect to x. And sinx\sin x is a function of xx. Would you agree that xdx=x1dx=x(x+c)=x2+cx\int x \, \mathrm{d}x = x \int 1 \, \mathrm{d}x = x (x +c) = x^2 + cx? Of course not - x2x^2 is a function of xx (that is, it depends and varies as xx varies) and can't be treated as a constant. Same applies to sinx\sin x.

I don't really understand your example :/ can you explain a bit more....like how it is similar to the problem I had

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zacken

Ohhhh no I understand!!!! Just overcomplicating things! Thank you that really helps

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 25
I don't really understand your example :/ can you explain a bit more....like how it is similar to the problem I had

Posted from TSR Mobile

You asked "why can't you pull sinx\sin x out of the integral", right? The answer is because it's a function of xx and you're integrating with respect to xx.
Why can't you? Thanks though
Posted from TSR Mobile

Because of what dxdx means, it's a little complicated to go into now, but notice that clearly:
x dx=x22+Cx1 dx=x2+Cx.\displaystyle\int x \ dx = \dfrac{x^2}{2}+\mathcal{C} \not = x \int 1 \ dx =x^2+\mathcal{C}x.

EDIT: Wow, I see Zacken has this covered :/ at least my constant is prettier.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by joostan
Because of what dxdx means, it's a little complicated to go into now, but notice that clearly:
x dx=x22+Cx1 dx=x2+Cx.\displaystyle\int x \ dx = \dfrac{x^2}{2}+\mathcal{C} \not = x \int 1 \ dx =x^2+\mathcal{C}x.

EDIT: Wow, I see Zacken has this covered :/ at least my constant is prettier.

Haha yes thank you!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 28
Original post by joostan

I'm not sure if you've seen this before but I thought it was very interesting (I did get lost about 2 paragraphs in, but it's more suitable for you level).

P.S: I'm glad to see I used the same counterexample as you. :biggrin:
Original post by joostan
at least my constant is prettier.

Rekt
Original post by Student403
Rekt

Hehe

Original post by Zacken
I'm not sure if you've seen this before but I thought it was very interesting (I did get lost about 2 paragraphs in, but it's more suitable for you level).

I saw you post it before, there's ups and downs for me, didn't take Geometry so manifolds are aren't my thing :colondollar:.

Hehe, simplest one there is :tongue:.

A problem for those interested might be to find all functions such that:
xf(x) dx=xf(x) dxx\displaystyle\int f(x) \ dx =\int xf(x) \ dx.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 31
Original post by joostan

A problem for those interested might be to find all functions such that:
xf(x) dx=xf(x) dxx\displaystyle\int f(x) \ dx =\int xf(x) \ dx.

Differentiate both sides: xf(x)+f(x)dx=xf(x)    f(x)dx=0f(x)=0x f(x) + \int f(x) \, \mathrm{d}x = xf(x) \iff \int f(x) \, \mathrm{d}x = 0 \Rightarrow f(x) = 0? Too late for me, I think, can't spot what I've done wrong. :tongue:
Original post by Zacken
Differentiate both sides: xf(x)+f(x)dx=xf(x)    f(x)dx=0f(x)=0x f(x) + \int f(x) \, \mathrm{d}x = xf(x) \iff \int f(x) \, \mathrm{d}x = 0 \Rightarrow f(x) = 0? Too late for me, I think, can't spot what I've done wrong. :tongue:

No, you're not wrong, I must've misremembered the question I was going to ask. . . it's a post somewhere on here, though I don't know if I can find it now :/
If you replace xx with g(x)g(x) you can actually show it's only true for constants.
Reply 33
Original post by joostan
No, you're not wrong, I must've misremembered the question I was going to ask. . . it's a post somewhere on here, though I don't know if I can find it now :/
If you replace xx with g(x)g(x) you can actually show it's only true for constants.

Aye, I remember being the one asking you about something and you bringing that up (if that's what you're talking about) - it was:

(f(x))2dx=f(x)2+C\displaystyle \int (f'(x))^2 \, \mathrm{d}x = f(x)^2 + \mathcal{C}

Yeah?
Original post by Zacken
Aye, I remember being the one asking you about something and you bringing that up (if that's what you're talking about) - it was:

(f(x))2dx=f(x)2+C\displaystyle \int (f'(x))^2 \, \mathrm{d}x = f(x)^2 + \mathcal{C}

Yeah?

Possibly., in fact quite probably . . I'm getting old, forgetting things :frown:
Reply 35
Original post by joostan
Possibly., in fact quite probably . . I'm getting old, forgetting things :frown:

#SecondYearMathmoThings :lol:
Original post by Zacken
I know you've been taught that you add one to the power, divide by the new power and the divide by the derivative. But that's just plain incorrect. It only applies to integrands of the form (ax+b)n(ax+b)^n. Anything else, that "rule" doesn't hold anymore and you need to be a whole lot more creative. Differentiation is easy (squeezing toothpaste out of the tube) and integration is hard (putting the toothpaste back into the tube), there are no straightforward rules for it. The above users have given a nice way to integrate this function.

Just an after thought ..... Would the method I had used work for anything in the form (af(X) +b)^n or only (ax+b)^n ?
Eg would it work for (asin(X) + b)^n ? Or (ax^2 + b)^n ?
Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just an after thought ..... Would the method I had used work for anything in the form (af(X) +b)^n or only (ax+b)^n ?
Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, the term must be linear. More generally we require an additional term.
f(x)(af(x)+b)n dx=(af(x)+b)n+1a(n+1)+C\displaystyle \int f'(x)(af(x)+b)^n \ dx = \dfrac{(af(x)+b)^{n+1}}{a(n+1)}+\mathcal{C}.
Reply 38
Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

And if you're wondering why Joostan's formula works, the substitution u=f(x)u = f(x) will prove illuminating.
Original post by B_9710
cos3xdx=cosx(cos2x)dx=cosx(1sin2x)dx=(cosxsin2xcosx)dx \displaystyle \int \cos^3 x dx =\int \cos x (\cos^2 x ) dx = \int \cos x (1-\sin^2 x) dx = \int \left ( \cos x -\sin^2 x\cos x \right ) dx .

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest