The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by chocolatesauce
no? It was a legit point.

All right - then I will answer it in earnest. The vegetables we eat are specially grown to be eaten and would not exist if we did not grow them. The fact that we eat them doesn't mean the world's oxygen supply is at all decreased.

Deforestation to make space for farmland is a serious issue, but vegetable farming is a more land-efficient means of growing food than meat farming. If you think about it, the animals that we eat have to eat plants for the entirety of their lives, so eating a certain amount of meat is akin to eating many times that amount of vegetables.

In any case, the prevalence of CO2 in the atmosphere is a much bigger problem than a dearth of oxygen. Climate change will have put cities underwater long before the atmosphere's oxygen content becomes dangerously low.
(edited 8 years ago)
The amount of crops and wheat fed to cattle is much greater than the amount us as humans eat. The amount of methane produced by cattle is much larger than that us as humans produce and the food needed to feed cattle can be used to feed the 1 billion people in the world who go hungry every day. We grow enough food for 15 billion people.
(edited 8 years ago)
Essential Amino Acids (GCSE Biology! :tongue:)
Original post by cookiejjch
The amount of crops and wheat fed to cattle is much greater than the amount us as humans eat. The amount of methane produced by cattle is much larger than that us as humans produce and the food needed to feed cattle can be used to feed the 1 billion people in the world who go hungry every day. We grow enough food for 15 billion people.

We have enough food for everyone in the world right now.

The problem ain't cows munching it all.

The problem is unequal distribution.
A study done by Harvard University showed that the amount of protein a Vegan or Vegetarian gets is enough for our bodies to function without the need for meat.
Original post by chocolatesauce
Plants take in the carbon dioxide that we exhale. Plants PRODUCE the oxygen that we need to breathe. Without plants, human life could not exist. I'm intelligent enough to know that. So why are you killing the oxygen producers?

Lol. Animals hardly contribute anything to the CO2 concentration in the air. According to your argument we should burn more oil, but that would cause a butterfly effect and may make matters worse for plants.
Original post by Student403
We have enough food for everyone in the world right now.

The problem ain't cows munching it all.

The problem is unequal distribution.

People still go hungry daily and part of the problem can be solved if we stop feeding over half of our crops to cattle.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by champ_mc99
Lol. Animals hardly contribute anything to the CO2 concentration in the air. According to your argument we should burn more oil, but that would cause a butterfly effect and may make matters worse for plants.

burning oil is burning dead plants, crude oil are dead plants and animals and anyway it would be carbon neutral in that case since we're burning the same amount of oxygen and co2 that's taken in as given out.
People still go hungry daily and part of the problem can be solved if we stop feeding over half of our crops to cattle.

But I said the problem is distribution. Grow as much food as you want, keep as much of it from the cattle as you want, but there will still be this distribution issue
Several studies have shown that between 13% and 51% of CO2 emissions in our world's atmosphere are produced by animal agriculture. The whole of the transport industry only produces 15% of the world's CO2 emissions.
But I said the problem is distribution. Grow as much food as you want, keep as much of it from the cattle as you want, but there will still be this distribution issue

Growing all this extra food that is provided to cattle is a contributing factor to deforestation, much more than that of crop production for food meant for human consumption.
It's just such a fundamental part of cuisine I guess.
Reply 32
Most people eat what they were raised to eat
Several studies have shown that between 13% and 51% of CO2 emissions in our world's atmosphere are produced by animal agriculture. The whole of the transport industry only produces 15% of the world's CO2 emissions.

So let's kill those pesky methane producing cattle!
Reply 34
Meat is great and it contains vitamin A, B and D not only proteins . They promote good vision, stronger teeth and bones but it also support the central nervous system thus promoting mental health as well with other millions stuff + it tastes damn good. A reasonable amount of meat per week is good but too much of anything is bad :smile:
Reply 35
Well done

Now show me a RARE pepe

i only have medium rare pepes brother

meet is noice
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by zanner
i only have medium rare pepes brother

Blue rare?!
Reply 37
For dem proton gainz
Because it tastes good and I'm a monster because I don't care about the ethics.

Is that the answer you were looking for?

Hey, at least I try to avoid halal and kosher-slaughtered meat. Obviously I prefer it if the animal is slaughtered humanely.
Reply 39
Blue rare?!

do people acc eat blue rare tho that is just uncooked.jpeg

also people eat meat bc

it is nice

Latest