The Student Room Group

30th Mar: Do you leave revision to the last minute?

Scroll to see replies

*Deleted- ms-quoted, this reply was not intended for you*
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous
no offense, but if you need to revise 9 hours a day to get A*s you're clearly not that smart and I dread to think what you're planning for A Level.

Amount of revision does not correlate with intelligence...... some people are VERY INTELLIGENT, but have poor memory. Others are LESS INTELLIGENT yet have great memory. In my case I revise best through repetition and I wouldn't want to leave things until the last minute not because my cramming skills suck, but because the stress induced by such a technique is not worth THE RISK..... be respectful that others have their own techniques.... revising and achieving an A* is just as good as not revising and achieving an A*. People have different memory/recall abilities and this does not corresponding with intelligence.

Intelligence is fluid.
Original post by nisha.sri
:smile: I don't know i just do it :smile: I guess i should delete my post on here everyone's going to question me i think i've had enough :smile:
I know people who do 11-12 hours

that's really impressive tbh :smile: i wish i had as much motivation but it still hasn't even got to me that exams are this year :lol:

Spoiler

If you don't mind me asking, what do you specifically do when you 'revise'? :smile:

Well, I go through everything I’m weak at and I would go through my text book and read through the notes in order to consolidate my knowledge then I would do as many past papers as possible ( I would look through the specification as well) which takes a long time. People who are really clever still have weaknesses plus just because mytargets are A* doesn’t mean there isn’t any room for improvements. There are always weaknesses for everyone. I think it’s normal to revise for 9 hours I guesslook at the post above someone else also revises for 9 hours sometimes
Original post by Parasite
Amount of revision does not correlate with intelligence...... some people are VERY INTELLIGENT, but have poor memory. Others are LESS INTELLIGENT yet have great memory. In my case I revise best through repetition and I wouldn't want to leave things until the last minute not because my cramming skills suck, but because the stress induced by such a technique is not worth THE RISK..... be respectful that others have their own techniques.... revising and achieving an A* is just as good as not revising and achieving an A*. People have different memory/recall abilities and this does not corresponding with intelligence.

Intelligence is fluid.

P.s. sorrry I quoted the wrong person, this reply was not intended for you

:smile: :smile: :smile:
the cake thing couldn't be more true! I'm going to be obese by the time exams start D

Me too! But I usually eat when I'm bored of revision and want to procrastinate. Which is probably more often that not :colondollar:
I'm in year 12 and now during easter I do around 5 hours per day but I'm trying to move up to six. I have gone over most topics. I think it's good to take breaks and have a few days off because otherwise you will feel burnt out and remember that there's the summer to look forward to. Cramming isn't ideal but it's better than not studying at all but you're probably less likey to remember the info in the long term.
I was so bad with revision when I was doing my GCSEs I ended up not revising for some subjects which turned out fine but dAMN am I hell getting away with it at A Level, surprisingly maths is the biggest time consumer of my studying right now however at GCSE you could have gotten away with practicing questions just once
Reply 48
Ive been revising a lot but still dont feel statisfied or even ready. maybe I need to start doing past papers properly
Reply 49
Original post by meediaabid
I was so bad with revision when I was doing my GCSEs I ended up not revising for some subjects which turned out fine but dAMN am I hell getting away with it at A Level, surprisingly maths is the biggest time consumer of my studying right now however at GCSE you could have gotten away with practicing questions just once

I think I must've been dumb at GCSE because everyone goes on about how easy they were but there was me sweating and stressing and still come out with **** grades.
Original post by Guls
I think I must've been dumb at GCSE because everyone goes on about how easy they were but there was me sweating and stressing and still come out with **** grades.

That's just the pressure of exams for some people, smartest person I know pretty much crumbles under stress and performs poorly in exams, however in class, she's Einstein reincarnated, I'm possibly lucky and not really affected by exams however do take note I haven't sat exams since my GCSE's so my AS levels might be a whole different story
At school, college and uni I always left my revision right until the very last minute and always managed to pass but could have probably of done better. The only time I started to revise in plenty of time was for my theory test last week because I didn't want to fail and pay the £23 again :colondollar: thankfully I passed first time :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 52
Original post by BBC Radio 1
This week on The Surgery Gemma & Dr Radha are talking about revision. How much revision do you think is enough? Do you think you’ve aced the revision process or are you struggling to focus when exams still feel a while away?

Share your top revision tips and you biggest revision barriers and we’ll do our best to help get you in the zone on Wednesday 30th March at 9pm on BBC Radio 1.

Please note: You can post on this forum anonymously.

I revise everyday from 11oclock to 19:00. I never get breaks.
4 hrs a day, 1 pm to 6 pm with breaks. I study Bio, chem, and maths on alternate days. But I started back in january, so things are going well. Mostly just do past papers now
...Crammer.
Need to be taught how to revise lol
Original post by BBC Radio 1
This week on The Surgery Gemma & Dr Radha are talking about revision. How much revision do you think is enough? Do you think you’ve aced the revision process or are you struggling to focus when exams still feel a while away?

Share your top revision tips and you biggest revision barriers and we’ll do our best to help get you in the zone on Wednesday 30th March at 9pm on BBC Radio 1.

Please note: You can post on this forum anonymously.

I am really struggling with revision at sixth form this year. I was never this stressed about GCSEs, but now I have moved to a new area with a different college, job, friends and boyfriend. I'm really feeling like my life is a juggling act at the moment and I've been ill the last couple of days, I think because of stress. During term time I barely sleep (around 5-6 hours a night) and it is because I am genuinely busy, I hardly ever watch TV (literally the last thing I watched was the Obama doc on BBC 2 and even that was for politics). I've been cutting back on my social life for exams, saying no to parties e.t.c. but I'm still feeling overloaded and it makes me panic when I want to revise. Everyone expects me to get straight As, but if I'm going to achieve that I just feel like something has got to give. I hate that our education system has turned into such an exam factory, when I am genuinely passionate about learning and feel like the pressure this year is taking the enjoyment out of my education.
I'm starting to realise now why I didn't get 12 A*s.
I am really struggling with revision at sixth form this year. I was never this stressed about GCSEs, but now I have moved to a new area with a different college, job, friends and boyfriend. I'm really feeling like my life is a juggling act at the moment and I've been ill the last couple of days, I think because of stress. During term time I barely sleep (around 5-6 hours a night) and it is because I am genuinely busy, I hardly ever watch TV (literally the last thing I watched was the Obama doc on BBC 2 and even that was for politics). I've been cutting back on my social life for exams, saying no to parties e.t.c. but I'm still feeling overloaded and it makes me panic when I want to revise. Everyone expects me to get straight As, but if I'm going to achieve that I just feel like something has got to give. I hate that our education system has turned into such an exam factory, when I am genuinely passionate about learning and feel like the pressure this year is taking the enjoyment out of my education.

That is really sad to hear that the pressure is taking away your enjoyment. How do you perform normally in other exams and practices? If you have been doing well, I'm sure you can afford to relax a little :smile:
Not way too early to start imo, I just think that because so many of us reactively do work because of pressure of deadlines/exams, at the moment, we're still in March (albeit near the end), and so it feels very early in the year to be revising, especially as exams aren't really for what, 6 weeks? They're not close enough that we feel their pressure (imo), but when the exam is next week, we feel it much much more...

My best revision comes from a week or two before my exams start!
im really worried about my a levels, I did my GCSEs last year and I came out with really good results but this year I'm finding it a lot more difficult to revise, I only have 6 and a half weeks until my first exam but I have around 30 essays to learn as I've taken 4 as levels which are all essay based! any help will be really appreciated

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending