The Student Room Group

What top sets were you in school?

I was in top set for maths, science and ict, set 3 English, set 2 Spanish and set 2 humanities which I was moved up to top set for by GCSEs

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
all of them... top set was generally the same group of people in every subject with a couple of exceptions being stronger in certain subjects over others...
Reply 2
We only had ability sets for maths. All other sets were random.
Reply 3
Guess? :h:
I was in the C/D borderline sets -- sets 3 and 4. The people who were in top ended up at Teesside and Northumbria; who's really winning?
My friend at GCSE went from set 4 to set 2 during the 2 year GCSE period and almost got an A* at GCSE Math.

We don't have sets at A-level and now he's the guy all the people in set 1 for GCSE go to help.

Sets don't mean much if you're willing to put the effort in and fix up.
We were set for maths, english, science, RE and ICT. Was somehow in set 1 for all :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
All

I was put in set 3 English in Year 7 the first time round though lol

Let's say they quickly realised their mistake

Came out the only kid in the year with an A* in either of Lit and Lang
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by stefano865
Guess? :h:

Lowest for everything? Aww
Reply 9
Original post by YaliaV
Lowest for everything? Aww

:toofunny:

Try again. :h:
Lol I remember in primary school I was always top set for spellings. But then in high school I was generally in sets 2, 3 and 4.
All of them lol
pointless really because i'm never anything above average
I was truly the most uncool :u:
Reply 13
Maths and Science but Set 3 English and Set 2 Humanities
All in set 1 except for maths in which I was in set 2. Still did better than all of them and some of set 1 too :rofl:
Reply 15
I somehow found my self in the top set for English, I enjoyed the subject, but I was definitely bottom of the class, lol.
english history but i messed around
I've always been in the top set for everything.

In primary school it was for Maths, English, and a combined one for Science, History and Geography. And then two of us from the year skipped two periods of Maths and English each week to replace then with "Further Maths" and Latin, respectively.

In secondary school we only had sets for Maths. But then again, 5 of us from the year skipped two periods a week and replaced it with "Olympiad Maths", even though that turned out to just be a doss.

Edit: Actually I wasn't in the top set for everything. I was in the bottom set for P.E. :p:

We had 4 Rugby teams ordered by ability. Then we had a "Rejects" Rugby team for people who still played but weren't good enough to play for one of the real teams, against other schools. And then we had the "Rota Group" for people who were so bad at Rugby that they just played other sports in rotation. And then we had the "walking" option which was what it sounds like, just go for a walk because you're so bad at all sports. Except it really ended up being the "sit around" option, because nobody could be bothered to go for a walk. That's what set I was in :s-smilie:

In my defence I'm not that bad at sports, I'm really good at football. But apparently that's a "lower class sport" and my school was too posh to offer it.
(edited 8 years ago)
I was in the top set for english (triple english) but I was in foundation maths - I was in foundation science but I wanted to do it normally so they let me go into the "normal" sets :lol:
Maths and science. For English i was moved from set 2 to set 4 after our end of year 9 exam and remained there. I still think it was BS. I was genuienly in a class with idiots. 60% ended up being druggies by sixth form. 30% couldn't even speak English properly. There was a smalll section that just turkish all lesson. I still occasionally get me fun of by friends in my a level maths class for once being in that english set till this day

I still got an A in it though. I was so smug to my teacher on results day. He was such a condescending ****.

Everthing else was mixed ability
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest