The Student Room Group

UN court ruled falkland islands belong to the Argies

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by HanSoloLuck
So it's a class thing, you don't think poor people should have children...... because they will have 'chav' babies. Jeezus. That's wrong in so many ways I simply don't know where to begin.

People who can afford to pay for children should have children.

Frankly I'd prefer it there was no tax credit or subsidy, but if there has to be one it better be directed towards good parents and positive role models, not underclass people with no future or ability to raise children.
oh UN...the falklanders had a referendum and you're making this kind of ruling dispute democracy? oh my ****ing word...
Original post by AlmightyJesus
oh UN...the falklanders had a referendum and you're making this kind of ruling dispute democracy? oh my ****ing word...

It's not a ruling.
It doesn't directly affect the Falklands.

OP's title is deliberately crap.
Original post by Drewski
It's not a ruling.
It doesn't directly affect the Falklands.

OP's title is deliberately crap.

oh well if that's the case then fair enough - I never read his links' messages. but if it *was* true, obviously it would be incredibly illegitimate. it would be just like when manchester had a referendum on whether or not it wanted a mayor, said no, and they gave them one anyway
Original post by 41b
People who can afford to pay for children should have children.

Frankly I'd prefer it there was no tax credit or subsidy, but if there has to be one it better be directed towards good parents and positive role models, not underclass people with no future or ability to raise children.

We live in a society where many people are following this example, and simply not having children because they can't afford them. Now our government has been importing people from countries with high birthrate to supplement the workforce, this multicultural mess is a direct result of this societal model.

I'll give you the final word, I don't want to be high jacking this persons thread so we can talk about social services and class entitlement. It's supposed to be about the Falklands, I think.
Original post by scrotgrot
Can someone explain to me why Corbyn is aupposed to be a traitor, as far as I can see it's because he prefers to negotiate with people we disagree with rather than blow them up. Why does this make him a traitor?

Failing to sing the national anthem (I am also a Republican by the way and would change the anthem, but would still sing it)

Looking scruffy for Remembrance Day

Even considering any negotiating with Argentina is traitorous. There is absolutely nothing to discuss other than possibly demand compensation FROM Argentina (which they wouldn't do).
Reply 106
Original post by Mathemagicien
We condemned the Crimean referendum

Because it was corrupt and badly help, not out of the principle of it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
And since the english channel is attached to france; we now own Europe, all hail the red coat overlords.
Original post by 41b
Britain is the Royal state. There are subjects of the Queen, not citizens of the state. Corbyn refused to sing the national anthem.

IMO if one doesn't and one is also a leftist, one should be stripped of British citizenship (or rather, subjecthood).

Just lol
Original post by The_Opinion
Failing to sing the national anthem (I am also a Republican by the way and would change the anthem, but would still sing it)

Looking scruffy for Remembrance Day

Even considering any negotiating with Argentina is traitorous. There is absolutely nothing to discuss other than possibly demand compensation FROM Argentina (which they wouldn't do).

Not singing the national anthem and looking scruffy on Remembrance Day have nothing to do with the crime of treason.
The Treason Act 1351 has since been amended several times, and currently provides for four categories of treasonable offences, namely:

"when a man doth compass or imagine the death of our lord the King, or of our lady his Queen or of their eldest son and heir";

"if a man do violate the King's companion, or the King's eldest daughter unmarried, or the wife of the King's eldest son and heir";[24][25]

"if a man do levy war against our lord the King in his realm, or be adherent to the King's enemies in his realm, giving to them aid and comfort in the realm, or elsewhere"; and

"if a man slea the chancellor, treasurer, or the King's justices of the one bench or the other, justices in eyre, or justices of assise, and all other justices assigned to hear and determine, being in their places, doing their offices".

Another Act, the Treason Act 1702 (1 Anne stat. 2 c. 21), provides for a fifth category of treason, namely:

"if any person or persons ... shall endeavour to deprive or hinder any person who shall be the next in succession to the crown ... from succeeding after the decease of her Majesty (whom God long preserve) to the imperial crown of this realm and the dominions and territories thereunto belonging".

By virtue of the Treason Act 1708, the law of treason in Scotland is the same as the law in England, save that in Scotland the slaying of the Lords of Session and Lords of Justiciaryand counterfeiting the Great Seal of Scotlandremain treason under sections 11 and 12 of the Treason Act 1708 respectively.

In addition to the crime of treason, theTreason Felony Act 1848 (still in force today) created a new offence known as treason felony, [...]According to the law in force, it is treason felony to "compass, imagine, invent, devise, or intend":

to deprive the sovereign of the Crown,

to levy war against the sovereign "in order by force or constraint to compel her to change her measures or counsels, or in order to put any force or constraint upon or in order to intimidate or overawe both Houses or either House of Parliament", or

to "move or stir" any foreigner to invade the United Kingdom or any other country belonging to the sovereign.

Corbyn is a traitor felon under the 1848 Act because he is a republican (see bolded); although a cheeky lawyer might try to argue that abolition of the Crown is different to depriving the sovereign of it.

You, of course, are a traitor felon too just as much as Corbyn is. String 'em both up!

Negotiation with another country is not treason... in fact, belligerence is far more likely to "move or stir" Argentina to invade Her Majesty's sovereign territory.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Drewski
In this particular situation its because he plans to negotiate a power sharing agreement that is not wanted by the residents - he'll actively work against their self determined wish to remain independent.

Completely aside from any other political view he may hold, he's essentially saying the views of the British people he could represent don't matter to him. It's pretty hard to spin that as a positive.

A half decent response. I agree with it, although "traitor to the British people" is inflammatory. We might describe many, if not all, politicians as that. I hardly think Cameron etc care much about the views of the British people, even if you restrict it to issues of sovereignty.
Reply 111
It is geographically closer to Argentina.
Original post by Yael
It is geographically closer to Argentina.

Just like Alaska's closer to Canada, the Channel Islands are closer to France, and Hong Kong is closer to China. It doesn't make them theirs.
The problem is that Argentinian waters now surround the Falklands, hence any ships travelling there have to cross them which is a problem and then some.
Original post by Mathemagicien
Yes, it was corrupt, even so, there was no doubt that the people of Crimea wanted to be in Russia

Just like the Sudetenland etc., which overwhelmingly wanted reunification into Germany

In both cases, we (the West) certainly did not like the outcome

Do they actually though? The fact that around 35% of Crimea was Ukrainian or generally anti-Russian/pro-Ukrainian Tatar suggests the 97% 'join Russia' result on 83% turnout is a load of nonsense.
There was no referendum held in the Sudetenland.
There's also a big deal to be made about the manner of a rederendum. Obviously the west isn't happy about Russia invading Crimea and holding a corrupt referendum practically under gunpoint to justify a hostile annexation.
Original post by Helloworld_95
Just like Alaska's closer to Canada, the Channel Islands are closer to France, and Hong Kong is closer to China. It doesn't make them theirs.

Hong Kong is Chinese!
Original post by pol pot noodles
Hong Kong is Chinese!

A lot of people in HK would rather it wasn't though.
Maybe Cameron will use another war as a distraction from all the domestic crap. Like Thatcher did.
Original post by Helloworld_95
A lot of people in HK would rather it wasn't though.

Maybe like 33%

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ironandbeer2
Maybe Cameron will use another war as a distraction from all the domestic crap. Like Thatcher did.

Think you'll find that was more the Argentinian point of view, since they started it and all...

Quick Reply

Latest