The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Biology SNAB 6BI04 ~ 6BIO5 June 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BrownGuyIrfan
Got Unit 4 and Unit 5 notes here. They're really helpful for me so I thought i'd share. I should say they're not mine, I just found them on the internet but they're really good!

Thank you so much for sharing them :biggrin:
Reply 101
Thanks 😊
Reply 102
Original post by BrownGuyIrfan
Got Unit 4 and Unit 5 notes here. They're really helpful for me so I thought i'd share. I should say they're not mine, I just found them on the internet but they're really good!

thankk you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ah the article looks mad annnoying

I wish I could focus on bio now but f325/4 chem has consumed me
Original post by Aimen.
Yeahh me. got any predictions?

None at all. But i feel Alzheimer's is important. and some stuff about atherosclerosis. and also acetylcholinesterase.
what do you think?
Reply 105
Original post by J_Jaweria
None at all. But i feel Alzheimer's is important. and some stuff about atherosclerosis. and also acetylcholinesterase.
what do you think?

Though the topic of article seems out of course but i am trying to make questions that have occured in previous papers from article part like protein synthesis or atherosclerosis!
Reply 106
anyone made unit 5 article notes? as in question answers. eh?
Hi! I have a question, in immunity are macrophages part of the specific or non specific immune system? Because they seem to be in both and I m confused as to how that works...
Original post by xsashax
Hi! I have a question, in immunity are macrophages part of the specific or non specific immune system? Because they seem to be in both and I m confused as to how that works...

Both. Macrophages are just general phagocytes.
Original post by mercuryman
Both. Macrophages are just general phagocytes.

Thank you!
Reply 110
Hey everyone,

Last year I ran a study group for the As exams and it was really successful - there were a group of 20 or so of us who asked each other questions, made model answers, helped each other and discussed exam technique, etc. etc.

I'll be doing it again this year (for the A2, obviously!) so if you'd like to be a part of it PM me for more info :h:
I'm confused on what spec i'm meant to be looking at, well I know it's 2008 and I'm on it but in the file from the edexcel website theres like concept led approach and context led approach? might be a stupid question but which one do i look at? xD
Reply 112
Original post by Michaelj99
I'm confused on what spec i'm meant to be looking at, well I know it's 2008 and I'm on it but in the file from the edexcel website theres like concept led approach and context led approach? might be a stupid question but which one do i look at? xD

They both cover the exact same content but the specifications are in a different order :fluffy:

You either study the course concept-led or context-led, e.g. you learn about a disease and then work backwards to understand the biology, or you learn biological principles and use those to understand a disease.
Original post by Neuth
They both cover the exact same content but the specifications are in a different order :fluffy:

You either study the course concept-led or context-led, e.g. you learn about a disease and then work backwards to understand the biology, or you learn biological principles and use those to understand a disease.

Ohhh thanks :biggrin: So context led would be you learn about the disease and then work backwards?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 114
Original post by Michaelj99
Ohhh thanks :biggrin: So context led would be you learn about the disease and then work backwards?

Yep :h:
1459450441465.jpg can someone explain exactly what happens here, like I understand the resting and action potential but does the action potential occur in the membrane of the nerve fibre in parts and not once at a time so the membrane is like splitted into parts ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PlayerBB
1459450441465.jpg can someone explain exactly what happens here, like I understand the resting and action potential but does the action potential occur in the membrane of the nerve fibre in parts and not once at a time so the membrane is like splitted into parts ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's just showing the nerve impulse travelling down the neurone, so it happens continuously down the nerve fibre
Original post by A-LJLB
It's just showing the nerve impulse travelling down the neurone, so it happens continuously down the nerve fibre

Okay thanks!
It also says that when depolarisation occurs, localised currents are generated in the membrane, so what does it mean and what are they for ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have a question about getting the A*! I got 265 UMS at AS (A). I know I need 90% in both Unit 4 and 5, but what overall UMS do I need to get an A*? Like I'm sure you have to get a minimum of ___ UMS and then A* in Unit 4 and 5 for the A*. Any help would be appreciated
Started my annotations for the pre-release already

Based on my annotations, I assume the following may pop up:
- Genes, DNA, PCR, translation, transcription (unit 4) and transcription factors (unit 5)
- Global warming (there's mentions of carbon dioxide here and there)
- Structure of bacteria, cell walls of bacteria - Mycoplasma are a genus of bacteria that lack cell walls
- Photosynthesis, GPP, NPP, biomass
- Stem Cells, ethics
- Biological molecules (maybe)
- Drug development
- Brain matter (very vague though)
- Enzyme structure and proteins

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending